Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st road bike advice please

Options
  • 29-09-2014 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I want to buy a road bike and would really appreciate any advice. I'm female, 5" 7 and haven't be on a bike in years!! I will be using the cycle to work scheme and so I would like to get a decent bike that will last a couple of years at least. I've been advised to use all the allowance on the bike and then just buy the accessories myself. I have looked on line and was thinking maybe the Boardman Road Team Carbon Bike 2014, it was mentioned by a friend and seems okay. They seem to be good value for money and the sizes have got good reviews. I'm light build with some disc issues so need something that isn't heavy. I will be going to try out a few in the shop but not really sure about what I should be checking out. Are there any other makes/models people would recommend or particular places to go to? The cycle super store in Tallagh seems to be the biggest place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They seem to come with a higher spec for the price than other more high profile brand bikes. Bought a second hand men's bike last week, and in all the searching I carried out beforehand, didn't find any bad or negative reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Are there any other makes/models people would recommend or particular places to go to? The cycle super store in Tallagh seems to be the biggest place?

hi, you should call up to the Giant store on the Long Mile road and ask about there "Liv" range which is female specific in design etc...

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-IE/livgiant/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

The Liv bikes are good and good value but just to note that they have the same geometry as their male Defy range, I think. My sister just bought a Defy as she preferred the colour of the "men's" bikes to the "women's".

The only difference I think was the saddle that came with it but she was swapping that anyway. Even the gearing was exactly the same between Liv and Defy.

For me the most important thing is a really good lock, or preferably keeping the bike indoors - and I really don't mean your shed nor would I trust an apartment's shared bike space either. The stolen bike thread on here is heart-breaking, do your best not to end up in it!

Advertisement