Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Cycling Gear 2nd-May

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tri3

Aldi Winter cycling kit this Thursday 25th Sept 2014

Can anyone comment on what the Aldi Base Layers are like? There seem to be two types - a compression one and another type.

Are either worth buying or are they poor quality like the jackets and jerseys?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Is any of this stuff worth getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

tri3 wrote: »
    Can anyone comment on what the Aldi Base Layers are like? There seem to be two types - a compression one and another type.

Thanks.

I've always found their base layers very good. I have several from lightweight to heavy long sleeve. One I have is heavy with short sleeves and is great at this time of year because you can wear short sleeve jersey without being cold. Also find that Dunnes Xlr8 base layers are very good and competitively priced and they come in various weights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

tri3 wrote: »

Thanks.

I use the base layers and find them grand. Maybe top of the range expensive ones would be better but you could spend a lot of money getting something just as good.

Alot of the stuff is rubbish. The cheaper stuff is not great especially the jackets and pants etc. The jerseys are ok for beginners but wouldnt last too long for a more serious cyclist. But I got the performance bib leggings last year and found them OK. Based on yhat I'm TEMPTED to try the performance breathable jackets but will inspect them first. The locks and stuff are junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Aldi Winter cycling kit this Thursday 25th Sept 2014

One year to the day after the last post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

How good are those cycling rucksacks in regards to space and quality? I'm going to need one soon with enough space for typical college gear [pencil case, a few A4 sized folders / refill pads, lunch etc].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Garzard wrote: »
    How good are those cycling rucksacks in regards to space and quality? I'm going to need one soon with enough space for typical college gear [pencil case, a few A4 sized folders / refill pads, lunch etc].

From experience I'd suggest to stay clear of them. The fabric is fine in its own but the stitching is very bad. Threads are too thin and mismatched for the fabric. The result is that after a couple months the stitching just comes apart.

For good backpacks check the outdoor stores for discounts. I have a Deuter 28l jobbie that's been used for the last 3 years every weekday on the commute and 2 years before that it was my rock climbing and hiking backpack. The only damage it has is from a spill 3 years ago when I came down on a roundabout and tore a couple holes in one of the side pockets. I think I paid 70 eur for it in a sale, worth every cent of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Anyone have a look today?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

Had a look in Clonee . They only seemed to stock a half of the selection advertised online . I picked up a Merino base layer top and socks . I was hoping to get the Arm/ Neck warmer but they didn't have any.

mathie wrote: »
    Anyone have a look today?

Yea. The jackets and winter jerseys look like they would be quite warm to wear. The jackets are down as breathable but they are fairly well fleece lined so can't see how they are breathable.

The Bib pants look fairly good. Didn't buy them but I still have a pair from last year and liked them.

The waterproof lobster gloves felt very cumbersome to use so gave those a miss.

Got a cap for under the helmet and a cover for over it. They look OK for the price. Also picked up a set of the micro lights and a can of the spray oil/cleaner.

Also got a pair of the waterproof socks. €17.99 so they are probably the most expensive socks I ever bought. Also they are hand wash & drip dry only which I fear may be the undoing of them as they will probably get lost in a pile of socks some day and end up in a dryer. Still I'll give them a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Went into Rathmines at lunch time. Plenty of people sifting through the cycling gear. Picked up a heart rate monitor myself. Did a couple of sprints with it on to try it out, seems perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

The lights are excellent, I have a set on my hybrid. I bought two more sets this morning to replace the lights on two of my kid's bikes.

Also picked up a set of armwarmers and a soft shell.

Debating popping in to pick up a long sleeved shirt this evening on the way home.

I went out of my way to Rathmines on the way into work this morning to pick some stuff up, Rathmines opens at 8. At 8:20 or so the cycling section was two deep with people who were on their way into work picking up soime bargains, so I suspect the stock will be depleted quickly. There wasn't alot of it but maybe they have more in the back.

I couldn't find a merino baselayer, there were some for ladies only.

I should have thought of grabbing some microfibre towels, but didn't think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭pjq

FYI,
    I bought a pair of the cycling shoes today. I wondered about their weight, and sure enough , L= 436g and R= 464g , exactly 900g for the pair size 10. I'm a newbie, so can't comment more on quality.
    pjq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭quinnp

Picked up a Jacket, gloves, skull cap & a Heart Rate Monitor..
    All for the princely sum of €51.. Sure you couldn't go wrong for that price..:D

I'll see how it fares out when the cold weather kicks in...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone get the leg warmers?
    Will do work with normal padded bib shorts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭quinnp

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

quinnp wrote: »

Always nice to have spares ;)

Got the shoes myself, pretty heavy but grand for 20 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Loads of stock in Blackpool, Cork as of half an hour ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Got the bike stand and the performance jacket, which was very nice

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Anyone get the leg warmers?
    Will do work with normal padded bib shorts?

Didn't get but I assume so.

If you haven't used legwarmers before: They basically pull up to around the bottom of your shorts or a little beyond, they are elasticated and grip onto leg but don't extend up beyond mid thigh. So they don't go over the bulk of your shorts except maybe the bottom of the legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Got some lights, inc the twin front and back pair. One of the rear LEDs (1 of 5) is not working, so its back tomorrow for an exchange. I don't need a 20% light drop on day 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Got the gloves and bike stand.

Have to say, the bike stand is surprisingly spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

OSI wrote: »
    Just picked up the microfiber towels and the lights myself.
    How're the lights for brightness? I got the similarly priced Lidl ones a couple a weeks ago, and they do seem very bright, but the front one is slightly... enormous.
    The clothes look like you'd sweat half your weight out.

The jersey is a tad thicker than the recent Lidl long-sleeve, but that made sense to me as it's described as "winter". The rain jacket mystifies, especially at that price. Might be in the bargain bin at quarter price before too long!

Got the rain cap, which seems functional, if a tad neat-fitting on my big ol' head. Thought about the 'lobster' gloves. but decided against. Seem a tad clumsy, and skeptical how much warmer they'd be than lined five-fingered gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Mrs. Rox arrived home with the HRM as a little surprise for me. Looks grand. Nice wifey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Bought the balaclava and water proof socks which are quite thick so should be warm. At €17.99 they're quite expensive but probably the only pair I will ever buy. I need to ensure they don't get mixed up with the regular wash snd end up ruined.

I couldn't justify paying the prices for the bib tights or LS jerseys as I bought similar last year when they were in the bargain bins at €4.99 and lower so will do the same again this year if they appear in them.

Didn't bother with anything else as didn't need anything. Both letterkenny stores have loads of stuff left but the new store has no waterproof socks left (I got the last pair)

• Advertisement

I couldn't justify paying the prices for the bib tights or LS jerseys as I bought similar last year when they were in the bargain bins at €4.99 and lower so will do the same again this year if they appear in them.

I weakened at €9.99 on the bibs last time -- and might do so again, given the chance -- but the Cork Aldis still had some in various other sizes (mainly S, I think) until very recently. Rather surprised to see them back so soon, and at the old full price. Are they really going to see a huge rush to pay 35 quid for 'em this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

How long did it take them to drop the price on the bib tights?

Generally it seems to be a couple of months. You should always check the "Reduced" section of aldi. You'd be amazed what ends up in there when they just want to shift the last 5 or 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Got the lights in Nutgrove last night, and they seem pretty good. Loads of other stuff there too, and loads of cyclists digging through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭geosynchronous orbit

Got the Aldi SPD compatible shoes yesterday :)

Went back with Aldi SPD compatible shoes today :(

Cleat was a little tight - twist and cleat removed half of the sole of the shoe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

ror_74 wrote: »
    Got the gloves and bike stand.

Have to say, the bike stand is surprisingly spot on.

Is the bike stand standalone or does it need to be screwed to a wall for support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

marvin80 wrote: »
    Is the bike stand standalone or does it need to be screwed to a wall for support?

Its essentially standalone. The angle against the wall supports the weight for the most part. There is a screw and rawl for a plaster wall but this holds it in place rather than supports any weight. I haven't fitted the screw yet, and the only noticeable difference without it is slight movement when taking off or hanging up the bikes.

It could be taller to use space a bit better. You might also need to fix some protective rubber on the hanger arms to protect the frames, but overall it works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Got 2 pairs of waterproof socks for my M2M ride next weekend. I hope they work well, will report back...

So far they seem comfortable, not too thick and fit well. Most people may find them on the large side - my feet are size 12 and socks in 9-11 are not that snug at all...

ror_74 wrote: »
    Its essentially standalone. The angle against the wall supports the weight for the most part. There is a screw and rawl for a plaster wall but this holds it in place rather than supports any weight. I haven't fitted the screw yet, and the only noticeable difference without it is slight movement when taking off or hanging up the bikes.

It could be taller to use space a bit better. You might also need to fix some protective rubber on the hanger arms to protect the frames, but overall it works well.

Brilliant info, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The front is very bright. Flashed it at my house mate and he was seeing spots for 20 minutes. The back is reasonable, but I'd consider pairing it with another and using it on my backpack or something.

Previously bought the lights. The brackets for the lights were *very* brittle plastic. The lights work okay, you'll just have find another way of tying them to your bike to the supplied brackets.

check_six wrote: »
    Previously bought the lights. The brackets for the lights were *very* brittle plastic. The lights work okay, you'll just have find another way of tying them to your bike to the supplied brackets.

I have the rear one attached to my saddle bag, so I can't really comment on that one, but I find the fixing for the front light to be excellent. I really think these lights are great, have been using for the past year or more and have just bought two more sets as "spares" and to replace lights on my kids bikes when they go.

The front is very bright. Flashed it at my house mate and he was seeing spots for 20 minutes. The back is reasonable, but I'd consider pairing it with another and using it on my backpack or something.

Housemates (flatmates, flashmates?) as test subjects! Definitely the way forward! OK, thanks for the info. Might get them both, see which works out best, mix and match, return as needed/possible, etc, etc.

I realize that lube and theology are very closely related topics, so maybe this isn't the place...

The GT85 spray: any good? Just a cleaner/deoxidiser, or some actual lubrication value too? Best used as spray and leave? Spray and then oil? Spray, wipe, then oil? Or "not at all"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Anyone know what stock is like in Finglas/Ashbourne? Hoping to pick up a jacket in either size M or L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fiacha

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I realize that lube and theology are very closely related topics, so maybe this isn't the place...

The GT85 spray: any good? Just a cleaner/deoxidiser, or some actual lubrication value too? Best used as spray and leave? Spray and then oil? Spray, wipe, then oil? Or "not at all"?

Light spray and leave. I've been using it on my outdoor tools and gear for years. It does a great job of keeping the rust off.

Never used it for lubrication, so can't help there.

• Advertisement

fiacha wrote: »
    Light spray and leave. I've been using it on my outdoor tools and gear for years. It does a great job of keeping the rust off.

Never used it for lubrication, so can't help there.

Ah, so you're using it for non-bike purposes (or bike non-moving-part purposes, as the case may be)?

Maybe I should hold off buying it until something actually rusts. Might be a danger to myself and others just spraying it on random things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Any one know any stores with the bike stand still in stock coolock and santry both sold out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Rathmines, 2 left today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

3 or 4 left in Belgard Road as well this afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Alek wrote: »
    Rathmines, 2 left today.

I got the the third last one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Each store fixes their reduced prices depending on they're stock, it was April before the Letterkenny stores dropped their price to €4.99.

The current bib tights are slightly different to last years but only in terms of colours and graphics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i tried one one of the blue long sleeved tops in aldi a month or two back - perfect for me in medium. so i picked up a green short sleeved top in medium without trying it on. it probably would have fit me when i was 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

stecleary wrote: »
    Any one know any stores with the bike stand still in stock coolock and santry both sold out

Greystones had three or four today.

i tried one one of the blue long sleeved tops in aldi a month or two back - perfect for me in medium. so i picked up a green short sleeved top in medium without trying it on. it probably would have fit me when i was 16.

Conversely, I've previously bought a short-sleeved jersey in Aldi and a long-sleeved one in Lidl, both XL, both good fits. The Aldi XL winter jersey that's selling at the minute is hanging off me.

• Advertisement

stecleary wrote: »

5 left in the Long Mile Road store yesterday around 11 o'clock

Advertisement