Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Worlds 2014 - use spoiler tags for any same day race info (or start a thread!)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Decent start by Downey 4th after 1st split...14 secs down...over half the field have gone through

Downey still 4th at second split 13 seconds down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

4th of 24 finishers - very decent ride although I assume most of the serious talent is going off late

Super ride from Mark Downey. Finished currently 5th.That should hopefully see him inside the top 20 at the end of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Michael O'Loughlin tops the leaderboard at the first time check. Still 30 odd riders to come through.

O'Loughlin leading at first time check!

O'loughlan off to a flyer.currently fastest through the first check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Still 1st @ 2nd check by 22s

Fastest at second split also. 22 secs up on next best. His time at the first check is also still the quickest. This is a serious ride.

Downey 6th of the 33 finishers so far. Must have a shot at top 20ish

• Advertisement

30 O'LOUGHLIN MichaelFinish(1)37:56.30 - need some rain now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

KAMNA, Lennard is the big danger, the Germans rate him as a real TT prospect for the future. Some rain would be nice, top ride from O'Loughlin

everyone on the road slower than him at the moment.Only eight more riders left to start.This is getting exciting!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Oh Oh!! Italian fastest at 2nd time check

An Italian has just taken 7 secs off at the second split

Damn Germans

Down to third. Two super third sections from a German and Luxembourger. Both were behind at the second split. Medal unlikely now but top ten definately probable

Guaranteed a top 9 - super effort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Looks likely for 8th place now

• Advertisement

Finished 8th. Great result. Some effort by Kamna - 48.9kph - crazy

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,514 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guys

there is a dedicated Junior TT thread here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Any races today? What's on tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Any races today? What's on tomorrow?

Nothing today, tomorrow is the Junior Women's RR and U-23 Men's RR.

Saturday, Junior Men's RR and Elite Women's RR

Sunday, Elite Men's RR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Saw earlier that the 2017 worlds are going to Norway. Be great to see Ireland put a bid in at some stage to hold them. Not like you need a load of stadiums. We have the routes and climbs just need to resurface them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

neris wrote: »
    Saw earlier that the 2017 worlds are going to Norway. Be great to see Ireland put a bid in at some stage to hold them. Not like you need a load of stadiums. We have the routes and climbs just need to resurface them

There was speculation that we were going to host the Worlds in 2008,with Killarney being mooted as a venue as far as I can remember.Lack of financial support from the govt scuppered the bid I think.Eventually were hosted in Varese in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,514 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

neris wrote: »
    I've mentioned elsehwhere I think this is the sort of thing that someone like Pat McQuaid could turn his attention to, and if he did I would definitely be volunteering to help out. Ireland put on a pretty good show for the Giro this year, although something like this does take a few years to pull together and requires a lot of commitment from a lot of people (as well as a few quid to put the whole thing on with no guarantee of recovery of the funds sunk into it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

wav1 wrote: »
    There was speculation that we were going to host the Worlds in 2008,with Killarney being mooted as a venue as far as I can remember.Lack of financial support from the govt scuppered the bid I think.Eventually were hosted in Varese in Italy.

As far as I remember, it was the Minister for Sport who scuppered the bid. He refused to entertain the idea of hosting a major cycling event due to the stories of drug taking and resulting bad publicity and example.

Strangely enough the same Minister was convicted of driving on a motorway in the wrong direction whilst pissed out of his face.
    Probably should have practiced what he preached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Nothing today, tomorrow is the Junior Women's RR and U-23 Men's RR.

Saturday, Junior Men's RR and Elite Women's RR

Sunday, Elite Men's RR

Would anyone like to call tomorrow's u23 rr . Ryan Mullen is 150/1. Caleb Ewan, Dylan Teuns and Magnus Cort Nielsen are the 5/1 favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Teuns is in good form after the tour of Britain, I'll be keeping an eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

ragazzo wrote: »
    As far as I remember, it was the Minister for Sport who scuppered the bid. He refused to entertain the idea of hosting a major cycling event due to the stories of drug taking and resulting bad publicity and example.

Strangely enough the same Minister was convicted of driving on a motorway in the wrong direction whilst pissed out of his face.
    Probably should have practiced what he preached.

That's a ridiculous and unfair comparison. The Minister wasn't trying to gain an unfair advantage over other motorists by driving on a motorway in the wrong direction whilst pissed out of his face. That's just the way it was then. It was a level playing field.

• Advertisement

Would anyone like to call tomorrow's u23 rr . Ryan Mullen is 150/1. Caleb Ewan, Dylan Teuns and Magnus Cort Nielsen are the 5/1 favourites.

Mullen did win the Irish National road race, didn't he. Patriotism calls for some little flutter in his direction methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He did. Don't reckon he will feature here but I hope I'm wrong.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He did. Don't reckon he will feature here but I hope I'm wrong.

Still I've nailed my colours to the mast with 50 cent each way. It's a commitment I felt I had to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

EBH 200/1 Might be a very good EW flutter

Geoghegan Hart GB in U23 66/1 Another EW Chance

???
    I never win anything anyway,so don't mind me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road?

A: Jim McDaid was driving on the footpath.

Anyone picking a winner for the Women's RR? I reckon Pauline Ferrand Prevot is excellent value at 40/1. I'm picking Caleb Ewan for the U-23, but that's mainly just an interest bet.

Edit: Actually Ferrand Prevot is down to 16/1 on PP since I placed my bet on her. Sometimes I wonder if they're a bit clueless down in PP :o

In the Men's RR head to head stakes, the stand out for me is Bling Matthews to beat Ramunas Navardauskas @ 11/10. Bling's a genuine contender to win the overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Yeah got Prevot @16/1 earlier today.Put my Wiggo winnings on her to win. For the men's race I put a fiver on Mattthews @18/1 two days ago. At lunch time today he was 33/1 and now 25/1.:(

Have a few other fivers placed for Sunday. Threw a cheeky tenner on Nibali a few days ago but only read today about his crash last week.

My last outrageous outside bet is Daniele Bennati e/w at 200/1. Not the strongest rider in the field, but well suited to the terrain I think.

Someone clearly very interested in the U23 scene with a long preview of the RR:

http://espoirscentral.blogspot.ie/2014/09/u23-world-road-race-preview.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Anyone picking a winner for the Women's RR? I reckon Pauline Ferrand Prevot is excellent value at 40/1.

Edit: Actually Ferrand Prevot is down to 16/1 on PP since I placed my bet on her. Sometimes I wonder if they're a bit clueless down in PP :o
    Yeah got Prevot @16/1 earlier today.Put my Wiggo winnings on her to win.

Really? Marianne Vos is in the race with a swarm of 8 protecting her.

It's all kind of irrelevant anyway as Lizzie Armitstead will obvioulsy win.
    She's got grit and mountain bikers helping her afterall.

Why there is no women's Irish team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I found my answer, Olivia Dillon pulled out, she was the only Irish woman Cycling Ireland chose to enter the elite women's road race.

Olivia Dillon withdraws

Someone should tell PP, you can still bet on her for tomorrow's race at 400/1

You must have moved the market with the enormity of your stake ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

They keep a very very close eye on any cycling bets coming in (on the smaller markets especially) and adjust accordingly. Letting Darkglasses do the work for them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I found my answer, Olivia Dillon pulled out, she was the only Irish woman Cycling Ireland chose to enter the elite women's road race.

Olivia Dillon withdraws

Someone should tell PP, you can still bet on her for tomorrow's race at 400/1

what was the point in sending 1 person to compete against teams? thats the equivilant of letting a grand tour team enter 1 rider for a paris-roubaix or other classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

All set to (sneakily) watch the U23 race on Eurosport player this afternoon, only to find that I'm probably the last person to realise they're not showing any the worlds.
    The UCI Yootoob channel sucks donkey balls.

That fast right-hander over the dam should be fun on Sunday - yr.no is forecasting lost of rain for the afternoon......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

All set to (sneakily) watch the U23 race on Eurosport player this afternoon, only to find that I'm probably the last person to realise they're not showing any the worlds.
    The UCI Yootoob channel sucks donkey balls.

The YouTube channel is free though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

The YouTube channel is free though!

Not much good being free if it keeps freezing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Check out this guy on twitter. ....

UK Cycling Expert (@ukcyclingexpert)
    https://twitter.com/ukcyclingexpert

:)

Advertisement