Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle Lane Law

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That article if originally from June. It's claimed it will be enacted shortly, how short is shortly given the quotes were given 2 months ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

"The Lads" i.e. Enda and co. are on hols so maybe when they get back? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That article if originally from June. It's claimed it will be enacted shortly, how short is shortly given the quotes were given 2 months ago ?

probably the next time the road traffic act is amnded it will be rolled into that (same thing happend the drink driving laws, a rake of amendments went into the statute)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    "The Lads" i.e. Enda and co. are on hols so maybe when they get back? :rolleyes:

No need for the roll eyes, 'soon' was being said since the days of Noel Dempsey.

@ednwireland, cheers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Can someone explain the following? As a cyclist*, I'm not sure why this is not practicable?

"“(iii) if a group of cyclists (on a weekend cycle for example) is using a road with an off-road cycle-track alongside it, then they are required to use it – which is not practicable.”

*... at heart. My bike was stolen.

EDIT: Maybe that's a question for another thread actually. Anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Oink wrote: »
    Can someone explain the following? As a cyclist*, I'm not sure why this is not practicable?

"“(iii) if a group of cyclists (on a weekend cycle for example) is using a road with an off-road cycle-track alongside it, then they are required to use it – which is not practicable.”

*... at heart. My bike was stolen.

EDIT: Maybe that's a question for another thread actually. Anyway.
    They are forced to go single file, which results in a loss of social interaction as you can't chat to the person alongside (may be a benefit for some;))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I guess it's because there would be too many cyclists on the lane simultaneously, given that club cyclists can travel in large groups. Cycle tracks mostly "designed" (or retro-fitted) with very low capacity in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

And probably because road cyclists in large groups travel at speeds which would not be safe for other, less experienced, users and quite frankly rarely do they care either about how intimidating they can be.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

It’s understood that a number of bodies including the RSA are against changing the law.
    New Rule: the RSA must change the meaning of their name to "Road Slaughter Authority", for supporting a law that has been internationally shown to increase death and injury by 30% or more

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Excellent, now I can legally avoid the sharp gravel and broken glass. Must admit though, that law never really affected me, apart from the odd honk from a taxi driver. I've been passed by Gardai numerous times on the N11 while avoiding the bike lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cyclepath wrote: »
    Excellent, now I can legally avoid the sharp gravel and broken glass.
    Not yet you can't;)

Advertisement