Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who'll win the Vuelta?

• 13-08-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Contador looks unbackable at 4/7 ... but Van Den Broeck looks a good outside bet at 50/1 ... or am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭buffalo

Contador's shown good form in Eneco, and the Vuelta is very climby this year. Ergo, good for him.

Looking forward to seeing how Froome performs - team leader role, no minding Bradley up the hills. Must grab a mag with a preview of the stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

looks like it'll be an all action vuelta again. 10 mountain top finishes this year. contador's fresh, course suits him, he seams in good form and he'll be eager to make up for lost time. you can see why the bookies have him strong favourite... think froome will run him close if he's not to tired after TDF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Very mountainous course :D, makes the tdf and the giro look like walks in the park, Contador and froome the obvious favourites, cobo, igor anton and van den broeck will be well up in the gc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Has to be Froome for me, his performance on climbs at the tour was ferocious.

By the way, I've made a fantasy mini-league on velogames.com for anyone interested, code is 13220451

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Fritzl Funderland

i like De Gendt at 66/1 third at the giro. skipped the tour so fresh for this. Also Henao at 50/1 has a good season and another who had a strong giro. staying away from riders who were in the tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DeadMan1

Froome has been brilliant, but surely must tire at some stage. Contador's true form is a little unknown, he could blow them away. Fancy Joaquim Rodriguez for the podium, strong enough team around him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

think froome will revel in being the main man for a change, think he's in with a serious shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

buffalo wrote: »
    Must grab a mag with a preview of the stages.

Does anyone know if they're putting out an official programme? Loved the Giro and Tour ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Dark horse: Brent Bookwalter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Just looked at the profile of each stage there, jesus talk about mountains. Must be the hardest of the three grand tours this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭thebourke

link to the climbs of the race....
    http://www.climbbybike.com/race.asp?Race=Vuelta2012

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Chris Froome - hope he wins as a consolation for the Olympics and also to show that he is indeed a team leader - I think he could have rode away from Wiggins at different stages of the TdF. He looked tired in London though.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Dark horse: Brent Bookwalter
    and Andrew Talansky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I predict that Froome will be extremely underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leesaunders

Has to be Froome for me, his performance on climbs at the tour was ferocious.

By the way, I've made a fantasy mini-league on velogames.com for anyone interested, code is 13220451

Just joined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i came looking for a velogames thread and found this.
    Is there a separate thread?

retalivity wrote: »
    i came looking for a velogames thread and found this.
    Is there a separate thread?

Yep there is, on my mobile so can't link it but if you look thru my last few posts you'll find it.

alright im in.
    The velogames list seems to be missing a few riders from the confirmed start list.

Here's a link to the thread retalivity, doesn't really show up in my posts!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80220001

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Top 5 = Contrador, Froome, Van Den Broeck, Roche and some spanish rider who you've never heard of before and never will again.

Yes, I said it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Anyone know if this will be on TG4 or ITV4 - I don't currently have Eurosport.

Genealogy Forum Mod

i think just eurosport have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Hermy wrote: »
    Anyone know if this will be on TG4 or ITV4 - I don't currently have Eurosport.

this is on the schedule for sat

looks like nightly highlights from 7 to 8pm
    Cycling: La Vuelta A Espana Highlights
    Gary Imlach presents highlights from the Team Time Trial, the opening stage of the 6th edition of La Vuelta a Espana 2012. The race will cover 3,300 kilometres over 21 stages starting today in Pamplona and finishing on September 9th in Madrid. Stage 1 sees the riders following the route of the running of the bulls as part of a 16.5km technical course. The fight for the Red Jersey commences and Great Britain's Christopher Froome will be hoping to go one better than last year when he finished the race in second place behind Spain's Juanjo Cobo. Matt Rendell is the reporter on the spot. SUB
    Saturday 18th August on ITV4 from 9:00pm to 10:00pm
    Also: at least 6 other Episodes

aaaah the difference between froome and wiggo (it was live last year on itv4 when wiggo was up there, maybe they'll go live if froome has a chance of winning)

www.steephill.tv

this provides live links to all of the major races if you have broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lakeview

froome is my fave, yet contador cud pull a surprise out of the bag. evans made him look human in the 2011 tour when he shredded him going after the Schlecks. Roche needs to stop wheel sucking to do better than top 10.

lakeview wrote: »
    yet contador cud pull a surprise out of the bag. evans made him look human in the 2011 tour when he shredded him going after the Schlecks.

The only surprise would be if Contador doesnt place in the top 3.
    As for the 2011 tour, he was the only one of those you mentioned who rode the giro that year (and won it). Understandable that the others were fresher.

I see Roche's number is 19, Gadret 11 ... wonder what it says about his role ... joint leader I suppose, like the TDF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

DeadMan1 wrote: »
    I see Roche's number is 19, Gadret 11 ... wonder what it says about his role ... joint leader I suppose, like the TDF

The road will decide. In the best races it usually does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

happytramp wrote: »
    The road will decide. In the best races it usually does.

Gadret is staying, roche is moving on. It is nice of ALM to allow roche ride the vuelta, full team support might be to much to ask for.

i wonder if gadret has a puncture will roche give him his bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Gadret was third when we had a similar mountainous parcours in last years Giro. With or without Roche moving on i'd have a fresh Gadret all day over Roche in a race like this.

no one mentioning Cobo, last years winner?
    he rode steady in the tour, not going into the red too much.
    lost 7 min to wiggins in final TT....finished 30th overall 1hr 9 min down....
    a good training ride.

contador has no form this year so i dont rate him.

roche and gadret in AG2R will b interesting, as there are no places to hide with the 10 summit finishes.

Roche says he won't be going for the GC, but will be targeting stage wins ... would be nice to see him break his duck

Roche says he won't be going for the GC, but will be targeting stage wins ... would be nice to see him break his duck

At the vuelta? or next year? have 30Euro on roche top 6 at 6/1 :mad:.

• Advertisement

According to Roche's Saturday column ... there to try pick off a stage win

"As I would carry any GC points with me next year it was no real surprise that they didn’t want me to ride for the overall here"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

According to Roche's Saturday column ... there to try pick off a stage win

"As I would carry any GC points with me next year it was no real surprise that they didn’t want me to ride for the overall here"

Understandable and maybe a blessing in disguise. Wonder will he deliberately drop off the pace tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I can't see Froom doing anything, he must be wrecked after towing Wiggins around France. Igor Anton at 20/1 surely must be worth €5 e/w?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Froome must surely be suffering from the exertions of the Tour?

well their go my bets on v d broeck and de gendt lost minutes yesterday. very impressed with roche.

• Advertisement

Roche did a bad job of NOT going for the GC. I'm confused now, and so are Ag2r probably

Roche did a bad job of NOT going for the GC. I'm confused now, and so are Ag2r probably

“I want to thank the team for letting me do the race even though I’m leaving at the end of the year,” Roche said, according to Biciciclismo. “The current points system is a disgrace. I’m riding for Ag2r but my points won’t count for them, it’s ridiculous.
    “I hope I can fight for the general classification and get a good final result in Madrid for my team.”

Sounds like Saxo might be getting bottles for roche!

<Snip> Hope Sky can be dislodged from their pedestal....and with lots more mountains looks good. better than the few "bumps" of the Tour in July which played into Wiggins hands.

MOD NOTE Use the stage thread to discuss todays stage

Advertisement