Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Byrne Randonee May 27th 2012.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Did the 200.

Ouch.

Will cobble together a report when I regain full use of my limbs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Likewise, shattered. Off to bed now actually. Lower body vibrating.

Stopwatch: 9hrs 6mins door to door.

Didn't feel too bad doing it what with the near constant headwind on the way back and heat.
    Came in with four St. Tiernan lads. Thanks guys for the company.
    Did from kilometer 80 to Laragh(140) on my own though. Hooked up with the St. Tiernan lads half way up Sally Gap. How. I didn't get "pinch punctures" going down Glencree Valley is beyond me.
    Alot of tools in cars around Sally and a lovely traffic jam towards the bottom near Glencree.
    Now, to try and get the diet back on tack after Randonee type food even though I had an apple and bnana at the "campervan stop"

Planet X wrote: »
    Likewise, shattered. Off to bed now actually. Lower body vibrating

Not surprised. You hammered around it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

that was nice. i got lost in dalkey, and ended up doing 204 k. 9.09 moving time, 9.58 total. 3100 metres on the garmin.

Kudos to sorrento for organising the event, the food stops were nice and simple, the route marking was spot on, and I tickied the box to get an audax badge. cool.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/9479805

i paced myself as i didnt want to blow up in the middle of no where, enjoyed sally gap, even with the wind. In fact enjoyed it all. nice way to pop my double ton cherry. definately will do this next year.

edit - it was great prep for the raid. I got to spend a lot of time by myself on the bike and didnt crack up (until i listened to bits of the leinster match on the radio. grrrrrrrrrrrrr). Also got to spend a good 10 hour day on then bike, and do a decent bit of climbing, as well as pacing myself succesfully. Ill go for a spin tomorrow after work to see how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

9 hours! Yis are mad lads! Took me (and Rughdh) 12:30 door to door, 10:20 rolling. Climbing was slow (as expected) but post climb recovery was pretty good. Had to do the Walk of shame Cramp a time or two. Missed the turn for Slieve Maan and only copped it when we saw the road markings at the other end where it rejoined the 160 route. So we did it in reverse...

Great day, good company and support...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Unbelievable weather, Wicklow was looking pretty good today. Great day out, thanks to Paul, Clare, John, Paul, and everyone else in Sorrento for looking after us all so well. I got dragged along for the 1st 100 at 25kph average, but then my foot started giving me trouble due to the heat and pushing too hard, so it was time to ease off, loosen the shoes, and roll on for the second half, which brought the overall rolling average down to 22.4. Got in around 9hrs 30 or something like that.
    A few pics here if anyones interested. I ran out of energy to take more after Slievemaan ! http://s625.photobucket.com/albums/tt338/NiallDiamond17/Mick%20Byrne%20200%202012/
    Cheers, LG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

We really couldn't ask for a better day out. Perfect weather, perfect organization.

I started at the back of the group with Mark and few others but very soon we got left behind as he got a puncture. Not much later he mistook a turn and ended head down on a ditch, luckily he is alright, but he had to abandon few kms later. With all these I completely lost contact with any group but pushed hard and got to a small group with cdaly. On the uphill I lost them unfortunately as I kept pushing and many many kms later I met mr Rottenhat at the 3rd stop and I thought it would be a good idea to hold on with him. Climbing Slieve mann was ok, but the road between SM and Larragh was a nightmare, I didn't have an ounce of energy left. I was just trying to hold Rottenhat's wheel. I got a rest in the foodstop and managed to get somehow up to Sally gap but it was not pleasant. Managed to find a bit of my legs after that and rolled to the end.

After Mark's crash it took a lot out of me to get to a group, and being alone on these (beautiful) but in the middle of nowhere roads in south wicklow doesn't do good in the morale. I am glad I found Rottenhat and we kept a conversation going to get my mind away of it, thank you sir!

Edit.. oh.. lot's of boardies out, was nice to see so many familiar faces :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,755 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

1st time doing this event and it was great. I'd say about 50 headed out at the start of the 200, and it goes straight into a climb!

Weather was perferct all day, it's days like that that we put up with the other 364 days of cr&p. Wind seemed to help us out most of the day, although I felt that there was a headwind on SlieveMann (but maybe that's how Slieve Mann always feels:D)

I agree that the road between SM and Laragh was a nightmare, to be honest I think I'd have preferred to go over Shay Elliott as at least you know what you're getting, that road just kept going up and it was very rough.

245K in all (including to and from home, and for some reason Strava won't crop the ride), avg 26.5. Felt pretty good particularly since the longest cycle I've done this year is 140K, and never have done more than 200K.

Well done to Sorrento, great event and really liked the speeches at the start, it's nice to hear what the real meaning behind these events is and not just another sportive.

Food stops were great (and perfectly timed). I do have a few criticisms though. The road markings were terrible. Far to deep into a junction. A number of times our group and to quickly change direction as it only became apparent at the corner which way to go. A sign a hundred or so yards ahead would be better. The sign for the stop at laragh, a little A4 page on a bollard inside the gates? I totally missed it and ended up going on up the road.

Saying that, we all made it back so it's not the end of the world or anything, just an improvement that could be made. Next year I'll know the course so it wouldn't be such an issue.

Very sore this morning, but delighted to have done it and will defo be back next year. In my opinion, even with the great weather, this event is tougher than the W200. It starts off climbing and doesn't really ever let up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CramCycles big day out:

Got up early, BG levels were quite high so took a shot of Insulin. Missus and child were away so I got to get everything ready inside and mess the house up.

Felt quite tired, went to take a 20 minute nap, woke up a few hours later shaking so badly I couldn't walk to the kitchen to get food, crawled into the hallway thinking if I don't make it I'll probably end up in a coma.

Woke up 2 hours later in the same position, eat 5 nutri grain bars, bowl of coco pops, packet of Hob nobs, litre of apple juice and 1.5 litres of milk. Got freaked out that I maybe dead as no one would answer their phones and there was only repeats on tv. Finally got through to the other half who came home and mothered me all evening. Checked my bloods after an hour and they were 3.4 after all I ate.

I realise people will think that I OD'd to get out of all that climbing but I really did want to go out. Not as exciting azs the actual MB200 but equally tiring in the long run I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Look after yourself, catch up on a good book, back episodes of Matt Smith or whatever. The hills will be there for the foreseeable future.

Had planned on the shorter 100k myself, but got sunburnt on the sat after a couple of trips over the sally gap. First bit of sunshine, same thing every year, probably never will learn.

glad your allright cramcycle. I hate when there is nothing but repeats on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Did the 200km for the 2nd time, having done it in 2010.

Thanks to Paul and all at Sorrento CC for making yesterdays event a memorable one. Again, terrific food and water stops and perfect weather (bottle of sunblock in the jersey pocket was essential). Road markings were very clear on letting us know the turns, but as Leroy42 says some were a bit too close to the junctions, which was a bit tricky on the faster corners, trying to decide which way to go. It would be more appropriate to have them 50 -100m in advance of the junction, and another again just at the turn. Only one minor gripe and will definitely be back next year.

Had a glitch with the Garmin which has split the ride into 2 parts. Sent a request to Strava to stich them together into a single ride, so awaiting reply.

Delighted with my 8hrs 35mins riding time compared to 9hrs 43mins in 2010.

Met Boardsies, Planet X, cdaly, mvt, daragh, coastwatch, lennymc, LastGasp, Drumbren, Cadex, Rottenhat and (non-riding) The Tax Man (in the stop in Laragh). Hope you all had a great day.

A guy passed me this morning, on the Stillorgan Rd., with his daughter on the crossbar. Lol.

We missed you CramCycle. Hope you are back to normal?

Was a tough one. 160 last year was much easier, and I was bitching about how hard that was

Was my first day out in a Tiernan's CC Jersey. Had intended to take it slow and steady but the pace from the start was fast given what was to come. I sat in with the guys from the club and a big bunch (Planet X, Last Gasp I think, Jimm) for the first 100k and felt fine. The lads from the club are doing the Etape this year and after 100k it was obvious that I wouldn't be able to continue to hang on, so I dropped off the back.

After that it was pretty much a solo effort until I got to the top of Glenmacnass and bumped into Bikerboy who was out for a Sunday spin. A combination of a can of coke and sitting on his wheel got me as far as Glencree (the man is a legend). All downhill after that. Great day out. Kudos to Sorrento.

Met Planet X, Jimm, lennymc and AstraMonti. Saw Cdaly but didn't get a chance to say hi

Things I learnt -
    Being in a Club rocks.
    Boardsies doing the Raid are machines. Planet X seems to be immune to hills.
    I'm still a brutal descender as the hundreds of people who passed me will testify
    Strava eats iPhones
    It's possible to eat too many sweets.

Phone died before Laragh but here is what I managed to get on Strava.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭camaghead

Managed the 200 for the first time - very tough going. Made the Wicklow 200 seem like breeze.
    Special thanks to Paul and the Sorrento Team. Loads of food for us hungry cyclists. Will do again next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭FatSh!te

hummed and hawed about doing the 160... opted for the 100 after night out on Saturday and managed to bring a few friends along. Everyone enjoyed it immensely.

I was expecting a fair few more starting off, but they obviously all went along for the 160 start! After 10/20km a group of 8 or so of us tried to work together along some of the steady stretches, and we generally kept together all the way home. Local knowledge from one of the lads in the group of the back roads down just north of Rathdrum was very helpful at times.

Great craic racing each other up the last hill up vico road.
    Sun was fantastic
    Cakes were great... particularly the scones with jam!

Good event and great company on the Road, will be back next year with a few more hopefully... 160 will be the aim!

Any images knockin' about?

Got my Brevet card and medal in the post this morning. Woo hoo! My first Audax medal...

Only need a 300, 400 and 600 to complete the set...

ditto, got mine yesterday. The dying cow 300 is coming up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Only need a 300, 400 and 600 to complete the set...

Indeed...perhaps I can interest you in this?

'Tis in the plan. Have to see am I good for the sow...

Ooh! If I do the sow in Sept and manage a 4 and 6 in 2013, does that get me the Super Randonneur or do I have to do it all in 2013?

'Tis in the plan. Have to see am I good for the sow...

Ooh! If I do the sow in Sept and manage a 4 and 6 in 2013, does that get me the Super Randonneur or do I have to do it all in 2013?

i think i plan on doing the 300....

im also interested in the super ranonneur (for my sins)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

No, you need to do it all in a single season. But to be honest, you'll probably want to do a couple of 200s and 300s as training for the 400 and the 600 anyway.

Doing a 300 this year will give you a better sense of what's involved when you're making plans so I'd recommend having a go at the Sow anyway unless you've been off the bike completely since the Mick Byrne.

Advertisement