Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planet-X Track Bike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

A little bit more expensive but you cannot have a 'what bike thread' without the ubiquitous planet x versus canyon debate.
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2133
    The canyon is aluminium but otherwise specs are very similar. Note i have not ridden either bike but the planet-x has been about a while now and i have not seen many complaints about the bike on the various forums. Also the fact that the planet x is coming from an irish distributor and is cheaper probably gives it the edge at the moment.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,612 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

... but if you're talking track bikes that's where Terry Dolan built his reputation. The Seta is carbon. They have a lot of Dolans at Sundrive, and if you've not already done so why not try some of them out (together with any other brands they may have available to hire)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Yeah I had a go on a Dolan at sundrive but I'm not used to fixie riding, so the whole time I was trying to stay upright rather than judge the ride quality. I need to get myself a bike and practise on my own time. A once a week session at the track won't be enough to ensure I'm not a danger to myself or others.

I looked at the Seta when it was on discount on Wiggle but it looks a bit short in the top tube and long in the headtube. Looks like its for endurance riding.

I had considered the Canyon and then went off it. Can't remember why at this moment in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If it was good enough for Martyn Irvine (and Orwell's Stephen McNally), then I think you would be doing well to get any kind of "flex" that planet-x bikes are supposedly famous for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

TBH, I'd just keep going to the track and get used to it there. There's only a few weeks left in this season, there'll be a few Saturdays after that before the weather sets in and sessions will be few and far between until next year.

If you're set on buying something, I've raced last year once and have done most of the last two seasons on a Fuji Track Classic. You may be stronger than I, but it's been fine and I've only just upgraded to a Dolan and will be using the Fuji for the town etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about staying up on the bike and needing to practice on the street or whatever, you get used to it quickly. The more time you spend on the track the better you'll get.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    If it was good enough for Martyn Irvine (and Orwell's Stephen McNally), then I think you would be doing well to get any kind of "flex" that planet-x bikes are supposedly famous for.
    Are these guys good at cycling?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,612 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are these guys good at cycling?
    Probably not - last time I saw one of them on a bike he crashed, and I don't think the other one's done much cycling in the past 9 months or so ...

If you're set on buying something, I've raced last year once and have done most of the last two seasons on a Fuji Track Classic. You may be stronger than I, but it's been fine and I've only just upgraded to a Dolan and will be using the Fuji for the town etc.
    Well this is the thing, I don't want to have to upgrade. I want to enter at a decent price point and get a bike that will do me for years.

I don't mind missing the season. I'm only back cycling after a long lay off so it will be more for next year anyway. I might hang on till the Aug/Sep sales and get something with a big reduction online.

Well this is the thing, I don't want to have to upgrade. I want to enter at a decent price point and get a bike that will do me for years.

I don't mind missing the season. I'm only back cycling after a long lay off so it will be more for next year anyway. I might hang on till the Aug/Sep sales and get something with a big reduction online.

But you also may not want to buy something and then realise it's not for you? The Fuji was about 350 complete, the Dolan Track Champion I got is 350 for the frame alone (got mine seconh hand off eBay)? Not sure what my logic is there, I just figure a few more goes on the Sundrive bikes might give you a better idea of what you want.

But you also may not want to buy something and then realise it's not for you? The Fuji was about 350 complete, the Dolan Track Champion I got is 350 for the frame alone (got mine seconh hand off eBay)? Not sure what my logic is there, I just figure a few more goes on the Sundrive bikes might give you a better idea of what you want.
    True. I'll take a wander over to a few sessions and try to borrow a fixie in the meantime.

The only thing that puts me off the Planet-x is the integrated headset. I hate the idea but I'm prepared to drop my prejudice for the right price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I picked up a Dolan Pre Cursa second hand for a good price. It may not be as light as some of the more exotic track bikes you see, but it is a very stiff aluminium frame with sorted geometry. It is still an awful lot better than I am when it comes to track racing. The canyon and planet x are great bikes, but probably way more than you need, though I totallt understand it if you just want it.

I picked up a Dolan Pre Cursa second hand for a good price. It may not be as light as some of the more exotic track bikes you see, but it is a very stiff aluminium frame with sorted geometry. It is still an awful lot better than I am when it comes to track racing. The canyon and planet x are great bikes, but probably way more than you need, though I totallt understand it if you just want it.
    I haven't seen any decent 2nd hand track bikes in my size in a long time. So it looks like I will have to go new. The couple of hundred quid extra for the PX seems justifiable. I may cycle it to work and get it on the BTW scheme.

Or you could go VISP on eBay.

what is VISP?

Cheap Chinese track bikes that seem pretty reliable and of decent weight etc. Some reviews out there. Probably better to go Planet X though really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Did you make any decisions Dave?

Dave?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dave?
    Half asleep when I posted and thought DaveOBrien started the thread, apologies, any decisions by yourself?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Half asleep when I posted and thought DaveOBrien started the thread, apologies, any decisions by yourself?
    No problem Trigger.

I'm pretty set on the planet-x but I haven't purchased yet. I'm not in a rush and something might come up heavily discounted in the online sales in September. So I'll hold off for another couple of weeks.

Advertisement