Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl Deals 20th August Worth it?

• 13-08-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭

Ok just getting into the cycling and see Lidl have some offers on the 20th August

Step Up a Gear

Looking at the tool kit, bike saddle,gloves and trousers

Are they worth it or do you get what you pay for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Based on my experience:

Socks are good
    Fingerless gloves are good, don't know about the finger-ful ones though
    Toolkit is not - levers broke and patches don't work
    Pump is not worth it, gauge stopped working. had to go buy one with a gauge that worked.
    Sunglasses are good cos you won't care if they fall off and break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

loinnsigh wrote: »
    Based on my experience:

Socks are good
    Fingerless gloves are good, don't know about the finger-ful ones though
    Toolkit is not - levers broke and patches don't work
    Pump is not worth it, gauge stopped working. had to go buy one with a gauge that worked.

I had a similar experience with them... I also got the gloves with full fingers and they are also bad. The allen key weighs a ton and the levers all broke (the 3 of 'em) while I was changing a flat tyre after riding 130kms... I wasn't happy... :rolleyes:
    Personally I think that Aldi for the cheap stuff is far superior to Lidl, but I agree on the socks. They are not a bad buy and I was wearing them this morning for my commute :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

loinnsigh wrote: »

Worth investing in decent glasses IMO. If you fall off and they break your eyes won't thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can't go wrong with a lot of the clothing. It's cheap clothing, but that's fine cos it's cheap. You might get one season out of them, but what harm.

It's actually useful for discovering what does and doesn't work for you - I bought leg warmers from lidl a couple of years ago and discovered I don't like them :D

Wouldn't go mad on the tools tbh. The small tool kit might be useful as your emergency tool kit, but not for everyday use. Ditto on the pump.

The glasses are a bit of a false economy. Any old sunglasses will keep the sun out of your eyes and cause flies to bounce away, but cycling-specific glasses are designed to not shatter if you crash or if a stone comes flying towards your eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

The air conditioned saddle is just what you need for those hot summer days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

The air conditioned saddle is just what you need for those hot summer days

what hot summer days would those be? :)

more likely to need a saddle with inflatable life-raft attachment on our roads these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

The saddle was the item I was interested in so may get this

May have a look at their socks and clothing. Will pick up tools elsewhere

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

The saddle was the item I was interested in so may get this

May have a look at their socks and clothing. Will pick up tools elsewhere

Thanks
    The saddle appears to have the type of clamp that would only suit pretty old/ basic bikes. I.E. the clamp is part of the saddle rather than being part of the seatpost.
    Check if it suits yours.

langdang wrote: »
    The saddle appears to have the type of clamp that would only suit pretty old/ basic bikes. I.E. the clamp is part of the saddle rather than being part of the seatpost.
    Check if it suits yours.

Thanks for the tip will check this out

It's possible that the clamp bit could be removed so that the saddle could be used for a more modern type of seatpost. Not sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

The clamp is independent of the saddle. That saddle can be used with the oldstyle clamp shown (which I think is included) or with a modern clamp.

Just took pictures of my current saddle.

Will the one on Lidl be compatible anyone reckon?

Don't want to buy it and cannot fit it on

Thanks

Saddle3.jpg

Saddle2.jpg

Saddle.jpg

As tonyandthewhale said, if you remove the clamp thing you can see in the Lidl website (simple enough I'd say), then yeah it will be compatible.

Whether it will be better is another question! Worth a shot i suppose.

langdang wrote: »
    As tonyandthewhale said, if you remove the clamp thing you can see in the Lidl website (simple enough I'd say), then yeah it will be compatible.

Whether it will be better is another question! Worth a shot i suppose.

Thanks will try it out and see

Returns policy is pretty good usually - you can reasonably expect it to work so if it doesn't I can't see an issue bringing it back for a refund....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Protip on the Crivit cycle trousers, if they are anything like the sizes for the shorts and carpi's they sold a while back they will be fcking huge!

Im an XL and the L was still too big for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I usually pick up a pack or 2 of the reflective strips they are handy during the dark days for either running or cycling.

NOTE: I did find that a few of last years ones didn't work correctly (went off after 10 mins), but from 2 packs I got enough to get through the winter.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭thebourke

what about the helmets?has anyone bought these before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I usually pick up a pack or 2 of the reflective strips they are handy during the dark days for either running or cycling.

NOTE: I did find that a few of last years ones didn't work correctly (went off after 10 mins), but from 2 packs I got enough to get through the winter.

HTH

Do they go around your waist or just your arm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

thebourke wrote: »

Im also wondering about the helmets. Im new to cycling - just to work etc. Are they decent enough for the price? Surely there has to be some sort of safety standards when it comes to helmets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

sillymoo wrote: »
    Im also wondering about the helmets. Im new to cycling - just to work etc. Are they decent enough for the price? Surely there has to be some sort of safety standards when it comes to helmets?

I bought one this morning due to a bad case of 'helmet rot'!

It has the German TUV standard and seems well put together. I put it beside my existing Giro helmet and it seems to be made of the same quality materials.

My Giro helmet has had about three years use and the straps are frayed, the plastic is separating from the polystyrene, and it stinks, so on the face of it, I've no reason to thin this one will be any worse! Worth a punt for a tenner I reckon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

seamus wrote: »
    Wouldn't go mad on the tools tbh. The small tool kit might be useful as your emergency tool kit, but not for everyday use. Ditto on the pump.

I'd be very wary of buying suspect tools in case of an emergency, as it's the one time you really need tools to work properly. You'd certainly want to test them before a long spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Got the men's cycling trousers but having looked at them I think I'll return them later. They seem very mediocre.

Dunno if it's peculiar to our local lidl but it seemed there was very little left when I called in just after 9am. Perhaps didn't have everything on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭JMcL

+1 for the reflective strips with the LEDs, I've been making use of them on the commute in the murk these past few weeks to keep the waterproofs in check

The shorts and trousers I found to be pretty poor quality TBH. Padding is wafer thin, so really only suitable for the shortest of spins. Also as somebody else speculated, they're big. I've admittedly lost a few kilos since I bought them last year, but I put a pair on last week as all my others were in the wash, and woah were they baggy (my other Decathlon gear nominally the same size fits as expected)

I don't know if they're doing the work stand this year (don't see it in the brochure), but I've found it useful to stick the bike up on to lubricate, clean etc. As with everything else, you of course get what you pay for, but it's grand for light use.

Aldi cycling gear I found to be way better.

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought the soft shell jacket in Large and it was far too big on me so went back to exchange it and got a Medium and its a little too small but better fitting than the L. I'm 6ft, 80kg. Picked up a pair of the gloves too. I already have the fingerless versions and think they're very good value for the price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

thebourke wrote: »

I got one and find it better than a €50 helmet I picked up in the LBS. Light on the back is a handy extra as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Cyclepath wrote: »

It has the German TUV standard and seems well put together. I put it beside my existing Giro helmet and it seems to be made of the same quality materials.

My Giro helmet has had about three years use and the straps are frayed, the plastic is separating from the polystyrene, and it stinks, so on the face of it, I've no reason to thin this one will be any worse! Worth a punt for a tenner I reckon.

Does the ugly-as-sin visor thingy come off handy enough? How about adjustability?

I could do with replacing my commute helmet, I like the built in rear light, save me having to mount one myself, which I do for winter commuting, but I can't stand that ugly looking visor...

How is that rear light powered? Proper batteries or silly little button cells?

kenmc wrote: »
    Cyclepath wrote: »

Does the ugly-as-sin visor thingy come off handy enough? How about adjustability?

I could do with replacing my commute helmet, I like the built in rear light, save me having to mount one myself, which I do for winter commuting, but I can't stand that ugly looking visor...

How is that rear light powered? Proper batteries or silly little button cells?

I had a look at them and the visor is detachable. The light uses a 2032 button cell AFAICR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

CJC999 wrote: »
    I had a look at them and the visor is detachable. The light uses a 2032 button cell AFAICR.

Thanks, the light will be next to useless so in that case if thats how it's powered. Unless I get hacking :D

• Advertisement

I bought the Pump,Jacket, Gloves,Sunglasses and Saddle

Put on the saddle and cycled out to Sandymount and my backside a lot better. Also had the jacket on and thought it was good, just have to get the correct tshirt to go under it. Sunglasses I bought as did not have a cheap pair to wear while on the bike. Also got the gloves as have fingerless already.

Bought the pump but it broke when I tried to pump up the wheel, lock broke. Brought it back and got a new one.

Did not buy the socks as did not look the best

Happy enough but still have to try the pump as gauge does not show psi level me thinks still have to suss it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Is the jacket not too warm, I have one and I'm going to bring it back, because I found it too warm as soon as I put it on, too warm to cycle in.

robertxxx wrote: »
    Is the jacket not too warm, I have one and I'm going to bring it back, because I found it too warm as soon as I put it on, too warm to cycle in.

Yeah I can see your point I'm a novice and I was warm in it but not to the extent of a roasted chicken...each to their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Went to 2 LIDLs. Got the last pair of sunglasses in the second one.

Dunno much about sports sunglasses but ye seem to get a lot for €6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Tried two lidls and could not find an adult helmet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tibrok

The pump is useless. The gauge broke on mine straight off. I ended up over pumping the tube and blowing it. It will be going back tomorrow.

The rest of the gear seems good. The glasses are good value and I like the strap that can attach to the frames to hold them in place.

• Advertisement

robertxxx wrote: »

It's a winter jacket, it's supposed to be warm. I bought one also but hope that I won't need it till at least the middle of November.

All the clothing items in lidl are for colder/winter weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Went to buy the jacket but the colours were too revolting. Black isn't great for a winter jacket to be worn on dark days; the green looked like a good colour on the website but both it and the blue were glaring and nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Got the men's cycling trousers but having looked at them I think I'll return them later. They seem very mediocre.
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-EF539622-4D52D15C/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_23554.htm

The missus picked up a pair of the trousers for me. I was looking for, and expecting them to be, outerwear, but they aren't - they are underwear - no padding at all in them. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, but it's not what I was expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Is the saddle worth a shot? Ive a Bontrager one on my trek 1.1 and it literally is a pain in the backside!

eoin2nc wrote: »
    Is the saddle worth a shot? Ive a Bontrager one on my trek 1.1 and it literally is a pain in the backside!

I put it on my rapid 4 and find it more comfy than original saddle.Did 2 trek's on it and the backside feeling ok.

Happy enough with it will see how it goes as I do more treks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Grabbed the reflective bands and the tool kit as a backup-backup for herself.

Bands are fine, tool case was broken in the bag, multitool is a tonne weight, but doesn't seem great. Got what I paid for, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Faster Doudle

I've had mixed results with the Lidl gear I bought. I got cycling shorts that were totally useless, gloves that were pretty good and a jacket that's ok.

Advertisement