Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB uphill advice

• 20-08-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Was wondering whether anyone has any helpful tips on a problem I often experience going uphill - back wheel spin and hence falling off?

I have a 29er - full suspension and was out this morning on a steepish climb in Wicklow. Suspension was open front and rear and I was in the lowest gear. However when sitting - the back wheels would spin and I'd eventually topple over. Also when sitting, I'd do an inadvertent wheelie on a steeper part of the climb. Standing is worse as any pressure on the pedal results in back wheel spin, less wheelies though but still same falling off result.

I sometime wonder whether the 29er is suited to steep uphills, or whether it is a bike frame size problem; with my weight incorrectly distributed.

Would appreciate any feedback...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sounds like your technique on the bike is the issue rather than the bike itself... a 29er XC full suss should eat up steep climbs like a mountain goat!

Check out biking.ie, they do lessons around Ballinastoe or Ticknock: LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What tyres are you running and how hard are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

MAybe let some air out of your back tyre? Pressure could be too high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Try rear tyre pressure about 30PSI.

Use a much longer gear, i.e. go down 3 or 4 sprockets at the back. This'll even out the torque - but you will have to pedal harder.

Are you using cleats? They make a huge difference uphill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If you're staying seated, you want to be right on the front of the saddle to keep the front wheel down. If the back wheel spins, try a higher gear, but be prepared to push a bit harder klike mentioned above, and try a lower tyre pressure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

I think your problem is related to two issues. First you have to get your weight in the right position on the bike so that you have enough over the rear wheel to maintain traction but not so far back that you can't keep the front wheel on the ground.
    As you noticed, if you stand on the pedals you take your weight off the saddle which is over the rear wheel and the wheel is spinning more easily.
    Also on a really steep hill, with your weight on the saddle you're finding it hard to keep the front down. So, keep your weight on the saddle, (stay seated), and if the front starts lifting slide forward and sit on the very front of the saddle and keep your upper body low over the bars to keep the front pressed down.
    The other thing is, and I think you'll notice the biggest difference by doing this, - really try to pedal very smooth circles. Usually when you're pushing hard uphill the effort through the pedals is very much push-push which means you're putting power surges through the transmission to the rear tyre which makes it much harder for the tyre to maintain traction.
    If you try and pedal very smoothly so the power application is continuous your tyre has a much better chance of retaining its grip on the ground. It's quite hard work and you need to use a low enough gear that you can turn in this way but practice it and the technique should work for you.
    Hope that makes sense - Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Excellent post, good advice.
    I'd also suggest running tyres at close to their minimum pressure

Weight distribution is key as far as I can see with control of mtb in any situation
    Greyspoke wrote: »
    I think your problem is related to two issues. First you have to get your weight in the right position on the bike so that you have enough over the rear wheel to maintain traction but not so far back that you can't keep the front wheel on the ground.
    As you noticed, if you stand on the pedals you take your weight off the saddle which is over the rear wheel and the wheel is spinning more easily.
    Also on a really steep hill, with your weight on the saddle you're finding it hard to keep the front down. So, keep your weight on the saddle, (stay seated), and if the front starts lifting slide forward and sit on the very front of the saddle and keep your upper body low over the bars to keep the front pressed down.
    The other thing is, and I think you'll notice the biggest difference by doing this, - really try to pedal very smooth circles. Usually when you're pushing hard uphill the effort through the pedals is very much push-push which means you're putting power surges through the transmission to the rear tyre which makes it much harder for the tyre to maintain traction.
    If you try and pedal very smoothly so the power application is continuous your tyre has a much better chance of retaining its grip on the ground. It's quite hard work and you need to use a low enough gear that you can turn in this way but practice it and the technique should work for you.
    Hope that makes sense - Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Where possible, try to get a bit of momentum before the hill and don't accelerate too harshly as it steepens.

The problem is that if you're going fast enough to be high gear, and you slow down to nearly a stop, even all your body weight might not be enough to keep you moving.

If you take it slowly, you have (the problem of) too much torque at the rear. If you're in a lower gear, keep the power delivery as smooth as possible and the wheel should slip far less.

Keep your body weight as low as possible to keep the centre of gravity down too. But it really comes down to practice!

Advertisement