Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UARS Satellite Possible Fireball 23RD

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

its just passed us a couple of mins ago and is heading into Europe....

http://www.lizard-tail.com/isana/tracking/index.html?&target=uars

I am watching this but know absolutely nothing about its accuracy etc... someone else provided the link earlier in the thread... thanks by the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I was just looking out, I think I seen it, I seen an object moving quite slowly with a very bright light, and the light got brighter at times but it was moving westwards rather than eastwards. I wonder was it the satellite, if not it was some sort of satellite. The south is cloudy here at the moment so couldn't see much that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 clumhoho

So i missed it?

Keep looking... its the weird jumpy light... if you watch it long enough you will see it move slowly in the sky... take a note of something on the earth in relation to it eg a house or tree and then note how its travelling.. You should be able to see it for a while even after it passes us. :cool:

The last view i had of it, it was the only thing visible through the clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sorry yeah utc not z... typos a plenty on this damm touchscreen.
    Anyway seemed to clear up here (sure sign theeres nothing to see) and I watched for a pass. UARS myars..
    .probably end up at the bottpm of the pacific

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

eskimocat wrote: »
    Keep looking... its the weird jumpy light...

Thats pretty much what I witnessed too, light was jumpy.
    To me it looked like it was moving from east to west, but the map on astronomy ireland says differently.
    I guess its easy to be mistaken though when you are looking at something away up in the sky from down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

clumhoho wrote: »
    So i missed it?

Seemingly so but if it had come down as expected to, like it seems to have in Canada it's trajectory was spot on for Ireland and you'd not have missed that show. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭g0g

LINK
    A six-tones NASA science satellite plunged through the atmosphere early on Saturday, breaking up and possibly scattering debris in Canada, NASA said.
    There were reports on Twitter of debris falling over Okotoks, a town south of Calgary in western Canada, most likely the remains of the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite, or UARS, which had been in orbit for 20 years.
    Scientists were unable to pinpoint the exact time and place where UARS would return to Earth due to the satellite's unpredictable tumbles as it plowed through the upper atmosphere. Re-entry was believed to have occurred between 11:45 p.m. EDT on Friday and 12:45 a.m. EDT on Saturday.
    Stretching 35 feet long and 15 feet in diameter, UARS was among the largest spacecraft to plummet uncontrollably through the atmosphere, although it is a slim cousin to NASA's 75-tonnes skylab station, which crashed to Earth in 1979.
    Russia's last space station, the 135-tonnes Mir, crashed into the Pacific Ocean in 2001, but it was a guided descent.
    NASA now plans for the controlled re-entry of large spacecraft, but it did not when UARS was designed.
    The 13,000-pound (5,897 kg) satellite was dispatched into orbit by a space shuttle crew in 1991 to study ozone and other chemicals in Earth's atmosphere. It completed its mission in 2005 and had been slowly losing altitude ever since, pulled by the planet's gravity.
    Most of the spacecraft burned up during the fiery plunge through the atmosphere, but about 26 individual pieces, weighing a total of about 1,100 pounds (500 kg) could have survived the incineration and landed somewhere on Earth.
    The debris field spans about 500 miles, but exactly where it is located depends on when UARS descended.
    With most of the planet covered in water and vast uninhabited deserts and other land directly beneath the satellite's flight path, the chance that someone would be hit by falling debris was 1-in-3,200, NASA said.
    "The risk to public safety is very remote," it said.
    The satellite flew over most of the planet, traveling between 57 degrees north and 57 degrees south of the equator.
    UARS was one of about 20,000 pieces of space debris in orbit around Earth. Something the size of UARS falls back into the atmosphere about once a year

Claims of first video.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If you hear a rumour that the debris has fallen near Okotoks, south of Calgary, Alberta (Canada) this was started by a spoof video on Youtube.

Currently 0145 local time here, clear skies, going out for a look as debris may not have fallen yet, and intact satellite orbit shows another pass soon.

report when I get back.

• Advertisement

If you hear a rumour that the debris has fallen near Okotoks, south of Calgary, Alberta (Canada) this was started by a spoof video on Youtube.

Currently 0145 local time here, clear skies, going out for a look as debris may not have fallen yet, and intact satellite orbit shows another pass soon.

report when I get back.
    :confused:I had assumed the Reuters link above would be reliable enough a source but obviously not!!! They hardly take their info from youtube videos do they!?:confused: Be nice to think it was still up there and still some remote chance for a show in the skies here!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

gbee wrote: »
    I think this is the spoof vis MT reefers to.

I don't think so. That video is from Oklahoma city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

No that's not the spoof, here's a link to the spoof. It's about 1:25 long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ksTCcgrgo&feature=player_embedded#!

(it may start midway, one of the lamest videos you may ever see) ...

Meanwhile, the six-minute video posted here appears to be two people talking about debris still in orbit, and while the title mentions Okotoks, they sound American to me and they mentioned Oklahoma City. Either somebody added the title because of the other video or they are also in the same place as the spoof, which would be odd. As of now, I am not aware of any credible report of this thing actually landing anywhere. How about you ??

(my recent look at the sky revealed rapidly increasing cloud, Jupiter fading behind it, and nothing much else)

Thanks, for clarity I'm deleting my posts.

About an hour ago, NASA tweeted that UARS had re-entered somewhere over the pacific. Precise re-entry time and location not known yet.

I can still see it orbiting on one of the tracking websites... and since NASA don't know where it is, I think maybe i should send them the link....:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

One of the funnier comments on Twitter was "I woke up this morning to find huge chunk of satellite in my garden, only four travellers showed up in a van and took it away" :)

I'm giving up on Twitter, 155,000 posts of the same update ~ nobody is actually reading anything.

Advertisement