Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying 2nd hand advice

Options
  • 01-09-2017 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to get a decent road bike 2nd hand? Giant defy 1 or equivalent and upwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

Keep an eye on all the usual websites
    Boards (you can make a wanted ad)
    Donedeal
    Adverts

That's al that I'd use but I'm sure there's others - best of luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Wondering if anyone has ever got a special deal from abroad before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

I've bought a couple of frames on the ads section of lfgss.com

There does be a variety of stuff going there, including some top notch gear.
    Sometimes the seller won't want the hassle of posting though, and can't check it out before purchase, so it's riskier.
    But both times were absolutely fine for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Moved from adverts. If you want a specific bike, put in a wanted ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this one is decent enough

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if you're willing to spend 850 i'd buy new with a warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've bought a second (or third) hand bike on this site with no problems at all. It's easy enough to ask most questions on site before you arrange a viewing. I got a second road bike for commuting for €350 a couple of years ago

I was all for getting a second hand carbon bike but my mate put me off saying it can have hidden damage that would one day lead to it breaking. Is that a bit of an exaggeration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I was all for getting a second hand carbon bike but my mate put me off saying it can have hidden damage that would one day lead to it breaking. Is that a bit of an exaggeration?

It's a worst case scenario, but maybe if you have a mate who's a vet you could get the bike x-rayed for any small fractures on the frame to put your mind at ease

• Advertisement

Erik Shin wrote: »
    It's a worst case scenario, but maybe if you have a mate who's a vet you could get the bike x-rayed for any small fractures on the frame to put your mind at ease

:) None of my friends are vets I'm afraid but good suggestion.

Do you know much about it? If it cracked one day while I'm out on the road is it gonna just fall apart and leave me in a heap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

:) None of my friends are vets I'm afraid but good suggestion.

Do you know much about it? If it cracked one day while I'm out on the road is it gonna just fall apart and leave me in a heap?

There are many more knowledgeable posters here who can answer that I think, ... but I'd guess that a crack that big that would lead to a complete frame breakage would be visible to the naked eye I think...but don't quote me

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Yes.
    For sure if a bike is in a bad crash, it might be wise to retire the frame or replace the forks, and an unscrupulous person might sell it on rather than doing so. But most carbon bikes are sold as owners are just trading up, or maybe bike was bought with good intentions but then somebody found that Cycling just wasn't for them.
    Some great value out there second hand if you are patient and know what you want. With BTW many lightly used bike out there.
    If buying second hand, have a good look around the frame and joints on it for any cracks in it, but carbon is remarkably strong.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w5eMMf11uhM

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Yes.
    For sure if a bike is in a bad crash, it might be wise to retire the frame or replace the forks, and an unscrupulous person might sell it on rather than doing so. But most carbon bikes are sold as owners are just trading up, or maybe bike was bought with good intentions but then somebody found that Cycling just wasn't for them.
    Some great value out there second hand if you are patient and know what you want. With BTW many lightly used bike out there.
    If buying second hand, have a good look around the frame and joints on it for any cracks in it, but carbon is remarkably strong.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w5eMMf11uhM

Thanks. That makes it look like if it does break I won't necessarily fall off there and then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, don't forget those bikes are being held very firmly in place for those tests, which is not a test for how it will behave in terms of experience for the rider in the real world if it does break.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bought my first road bike on the adverts section here and got great use out of it for years, and currently is indoors as my full time turbo bike. Bike needed new wheels after about a year or so as rims were worn, but pretty solid after that. I also got into the upgrade / servicing yourself bug after this bike which I quite enjoy. One good thing about a 2nd hand bike is you're not so precious about it that you're afraid to give servicing a go yourself.

Advertisement