Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling groups Fairview/Marino

Options
  • 13-09-2017 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Moved to Dublin fairly recently and am on the lookout for cycling clubs/groups nearby (Fairview/Marino) that go out obviously on weekends for long spins, but also weekdays for shorter ones. I'm looking to get racing next year and I'm comfortable cycling in groups.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

Clontarf CC has long spins at the weekends and a short social spin to Howth on Thursday evenings.

Meet up is at Clontarf GAA club:

http://www.clontarfcycling.com/

I joined recently, and I think it's great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Seanmk1 wrote: »
    Clontarf CC has long spins at the weekends and a short social spin to Howth on Thursday evenings.

Meet up is at Clontarf GAA club:

http://www.clontarfcycling.com/

I joined recently, and I think it's great :)

Hiya Sean, thanks for the reply. Glad you're enjoying it! :)

I don't really want to get a CI license until January because there isn't much value getting one now. Not sure if Clontarf would have me along without one of those.. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Also, I'm going to try go racing so I don't want to be joining groups meant for cyclists that have different goals or are more casual. Do you know if Clontarf would have groups that would be "fast" groups or racing orientated groups?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

You can do two Sunday spins without the license, but that's it.

There are about 20 guys in the club who race A2, A3, A4 and Vets categories. If you're wondering about the speed of the spins, you can check it out on Strava.

Another club near you would be Dublin Wheelers in Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    I don't really want to get a CI license until January because there isn't much value getting one now.
    iirc in the Autumn the licence you'll buy will be a 2018 one. Probably October?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

@CaoimH_in

I'm also a member, there will be no issue finding a fast group in Clontarf CC, plenty of A2,3,4 and vets racers in the club with also very strong non racer groups averaging 30kph+ on 80-100km spins.

For insurance reasons though, without a CI licence you will most likely not be allowed into the faster groups as part of the "2 free" spins. Which is fair enough given that nobody knows who good or bad your bike handling is when in a fast group.

If I were you I'd just pay the CI membership, otherwise you are limiting yourself as no club will allow you in as a member without it. (assuming you're not willing to wait until Jan to join a club).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Don't the licences run for 12 months from when you buy it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Clontarf CC would definitely be a good one, I've spent plenty of time in their wheels at A4 races. A dependable wheel if ever there was one!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Weepsie wrote: »
    Don't the licences run for 12 months from when you buy it now?

Leisure ones do. Not the Limited Competition and Full Competition ones you need for Club League and Open Racing, which are a calendar year.

Advertisement