Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G only sim

Options
  • 08-07-2020 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Morning, founts of eternal knowledge.

I have a micro sim from Voda for mobile data and it works fine in any micro sim device; for *reasons* I can't get it changed to a nano sim, and when I put it into a 4g device with dual slots (which works fine for 4g with other Voda sims, and in the area, and the micro sim is being read, and LTE etc is picked up as a profile choice) I only get 3G. Is there anything I could try before settling that there's a *network-side* reason that the sim isn't working? I mean 3G is okay, but I'd like a little speed boost.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Older VF SIMs might default to 3G when there isn't an active plan on the account. If there is an active plan showing only 3G then it might need Vodafone to enable 4G on the account.

Is it showing just 3G in either slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Thanks Ten Pin.

The 4g capable device with a micro slot only has one of them, so it's probably not that. Absence of an active plan seems likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Probably what has been said before but also worth checking that you have the sim selected for data in the dual SIM phone. Otherwise it won't look for 4g and will stay on 3g as that's all that's needed for calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Thanks all; I have thrown my hat at it, even a Huawei B525 (which does take a micro sim) defaults to 3g and will not go to 4g, so it ain't the phone/device > is the sim/network/profile. I'll get on to them.

Advertisement