Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mesh with Vodafone HG658c

Options
  • 10-08-2019 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Looking into a mesh networking solution to replace the ageing Powerline sockets in our 3-storey house.

How easy/feasible is this to do in conjunction with Vodafone's HG658c gateway? Seems like the BT Whole Home kit would work out the box (would it?) as it's specifically made to work with an existing router, but I'm less clear exactly if/how the other popular options (Orbi, Deco, Velop, Google, etc.) would connect or work, given they seem to want to take over the routing themselves.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

It will work with any of them, you should bridge the HG658c and add your own router

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Thanks. By "add your own router", do you mean I literally have to buy a new router to add in to the mix, or just that the mesh kit would act as the router instead?

Just to follow up: I eventually went with the Tp-Link Deco M5 kit. All working well, apart from port forwarding which I can't get to work at all :/

calum wrote: »
    Just to follow up: I eventually went with the Tp-Link Deco M5 kit. All working well, apart from port forwarding which I can't get to work at all :/

Did you bridge the Vodafone HG658c? What way have you the tp link setup?

Did you bridge the Vodafone HG658c? What way have you the tp link setup?
    Yes, it’s bridged, with the master Deco connected to it. The other two Decos are just connected to the master via WiFi, no Ethernet backhaul. And they’re in router rather than AP mode.

The port I’m trying to forward to is open to other devices on my LAN after I’ve set it up in the Deco app, but still appears closed when I try to access it from my public IP.

• Advertisement

Yes, it’s bridged, with the master Deco connected to it. The other two Decos are just connected to the master via WiFi, no Ethernet backhaul. And they’re in router rather than AP mode.

The port I’m trying to forward to is open to other devices on my LAN after I’ve set it up in the Deco app, but still appears closed when I try to access it from my public IP.

I hope only the main Tp link is in router mode, you should only have one router otherwise you'll have double NAT.

I hope only the main Tp link is in router mode, you should only have one router otherwise you'll have double NAT.
    Presume so, there's no option in the app to set it per-Deco, it's just a global setting for the whole network.

You need to double check you're in bridge mode and not double NAT. A traceroute will tell you this. On Windows tracert 8.8.8.8 in command prompt. You should see your router IP and then your public IP

Gah, solved it, you were right. I'd somehow bridged the wrong bleedin' connection on the Huawei and never noticed.

Working great now!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mno101

Gah, solved it, you were right. I'd somehow bridged the wrong bleedin' connection on the Huawei and never noticed.

Working great now!

Hi, I just got delivery of the DecoM9 Mesh system and I have the vodafone HG658c ...so similar setup to yourself i think.
    From your posts can I take it that its not just plug in and setup (as per the instructions)...but I will need to login to the HG658c and setup bridging ?

thks in advance

• Advertisement

mno101 wrote: »
    Hi, I just got delivery of the DecoM9 Mesh system and I have the vodafone HG658c ...so similar setup to yourself i think.
    From your posts can I take it that its not just plug in and setup (as per the instructions)...but I will need to login to the HG658c and setup bridging ?
    You don't have to, but you may want to. The first Deco you set up on your network also wants to act as your router, unless you tell it otherwise (which is where I went wrong and ended up with two routers). You can choose to set it up in Access Point mode instead, and the HG658c will continue to be your router. But then you'll miss out on Deco features like QoS, Parental Controls, Malware protection, etc. More info here: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2399/

Advertisement