Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5g sim unlocked router with external antenna and Cat6

• 11-10-2020 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I've been using a 4G version for years (Huawei B5186 and before that the B5193)

Now that 5G is arriving, any recommendation for a similar 5g router?

I'm at the fringes of coverage so I will need a router that I can plug an external antenna into (currently I've got a 4g antenna on the chimney).

I've also wired my house for Cat6 Ethernet so I'd like to find one with Cat6 ethernet ports.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Caspero wrote: »
    one with Cat6 ethernet ports.

No such thing, Cat6 is a cabling standard. All devices in this range will come with 1G ports and you wont have 10G devices so thats fine.

Id say wait, wait for 2nd gen gear to come out. Also if the spectrum auctions go ahead we'll know about band support requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

ED E wrote: »
    Id say wait, wait for 2nd gen gear to come out. Also if the spectrum auctions go ahead we'll know about band support requirements.

Why is it that you would wait for a second generation router Ed E? If someone is in coverage today they'd get the benefit of higher speeds today if they got a first generation no? Or is the 2nd gen gear just about to launch?

No such thing, Cat6 is a cabling standard. All devices in this range will come with 1G ports and you wont have 10G devices so thats fine.

Terminology noted thanks. The extra speed isn't a big issue for me today but regarding 1G and 10G if I have a PC and NAS which both have 10G network cards, wouldn't data between them transfer faster if the router also supported 10G? Having one that did would eliminate the need for a switch behind the router right? Not a huge issue as I said and maybe that's not available, I'm just making sure I understand what you're saying correctly really.

Doubt you'll find 10g+5g in one box. Not for reasonable money.

Like if you want to upgrade now you can but most people only upgrade every 5+ yrs so I'd be waiting for mature radios if I'd still be using it in 2024.

Also do you know your in coverage or are you using the map? Maps a work of fiction.

Doubt you'll find 10g+5g in one box. Not for reasonable money.

Like if you want to upgrade now you can but most people only upgrade every 5+ yrs so I'd be waiting for mature radios if I'd still be using it in 2024.

Also do you know your in coverage or are you using the map? Maps a work of fiction.

Understood thanks!

We're on the fringe of 5g coverage on the map but I just tested my coverage with a 5g handset....and we don't seem to have coverage without the antenna anyway. That being said, we barely had 4g coverage when I installed the 4g antenna and router and we had pretty reliable coverage with the antenna.

I do need to drive into town where there's definitely coverage with the handset to rule out that the SIM was improperly set up though. They told me they were adding 20 EUR of credit plus the 5 EUR 5g add-on to it but the SMS it received just mention 5 EUR credit, not the 20 EUR and there's another SMS that says they opted for the EUR 5 5G add-on. There's nothing about the regular 20 EUR monthly payment that's required for all-you-can eat data and there was another SMS that said credit is low. When I call 1741 it says I have no credit...can't remember if that's normal for a new SIM or not.

Edit: updated to clarify we're on the fringe of 5g coverage. 4G coverage is fairly solid here

Careful. Current 3500Mhz 5G has far less travel than 800/1800Mhz 4G. If you can only reach the 4G site with an antenna there's a reasonable chance 5G won't be serviceable. Thorough testing required.

• Advertisement

Careful. Current 3500Mhz 5G has far less travel than 800/1800Mhz 4G. If you can only reach the 4G site with an antenna there's a reasonable chance 5G won't be serviceable. Thorough testing required.

Thanks Ed E, that's an important point. That was true when we first got the 4g router, but thankfully we have pretty reliable 4g signal now.

I'll have to drive around a bit with the 5g handset and see just how far away from 5g coverage we are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I'm skeptical as to whether we will receive 5G at home here, 4G is spotty with the router in the attic, adding an XPOL-2 antenna greatly improved things, mounted in the attic (yeah could probably get even better mounted outside but not worth the hassle at the moment).

5G may be only a city/town/village thing unless the frequencies change.

Love the username and avatar by the way, I've played Fallout 3, 4 and New Vegas and NV is definitely my favourite, only one I finished too.

Love the username and avatar by the way, I've played Fallout 3, 4 and New Vegas and NV is definitely my favourite, only one I finished too.

I've only finished NV, keep meaning to do the rest :D

There are further spectrum auctions that will give it lower bands to use, that will enable a bit more reach.

Advertisement