Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CRT madness!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

o1s1n wrote: »
    In other news I was searching for B&O CRTs on adverts and got quite excited, until I saw the chessboard floor...

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/bang-olufsen/21741697

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

sorry to say I had access to a few of these B&O TVs a while ago from an office clear out and they went to a skip. why did I not post here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Bit of a strange one last night

Have a 29kv Sony and got a official remote yesterday so I could make some much needed geometry adjustments

It wouldn't let me change some values though. Mainly the H position which is way off. Only thing I can think of is that j was using a NTSC SNES and maybe the 60hz signal wasn't letting it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Bit of a strange one last night

Have a 29kv Sony and got a official remote yesterday so I could make some much needed geometry adjustments

It wouldn't let me change some values though. Mainly the H position which is way off. Only thing I can think of is that j was using a NTSC SNES and maybe the 60hz signal wasn't letting it happen

One some TVs you have to be in 50Hz, and on some I think you even have to be set to one of the tuner channels to some make changes. Instructions regarding what source to select when changing geometry should be in the service manual.

One some TVs you have to be in 50Hz, and on some I think you even have to be set to one of the tuner channels to some make changes. Instructions regarding what source to select when changing geometry should be in the service manual.

Thanks man. I hopefully give it a go later on

• Advertisement

https://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/technology/tv-video/lg-retro-classic-tv/

Just seen this on Instagram, only in Korea at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Looks like a CRT attached to a digital tuner/inputs - thats mad, wonder who is making the tubes still or is this very limited edition

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wonder did LG find a warehouse full of new old stock tubes and decide to do something with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

You sure this is recent ? Didn't lg sell these before 10 -15 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Looks like the LG 14SR1AB from about 9-10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Master of the Universe

From LG themselves:

'Regrettably, the #14SR1AB is not a TV that was sold or marketed in the U.S. It is a model that was sold in the Central America & Caribbean region and has long since been discontinued so it is no longer available for sale. '

Out of production for 10 years - boo! Will keep an eye out, kind of want one now myself, even if just to see what's inside the thing!

Well I saw that on a Korean Instagram page and the posts are from this year

Googled it some more and it's from 2010

Dude I saw it with got a BNIB one about 2 months ago!!

Master of the Universe

My mam was just going through some stored stuff in my grandparents house and I jokingly said to look out for 'Old TVs'

She actually found their old 90's 28 inch Philips that we used to play games on as kids. Was to be recycled years ago.

I have zero room for it but must make this happen. Tempted to pop out with a console and some CRT test software to see how it's held up! If it's not knackered I'll find a way...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Something like that absolutely should be saved. Not very often you find a genuine link to childhood like that :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you absolutely can't find a space for it, stick it on the Marketplace, I'm sure someone will look after it for you!

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Something like that absolutely should be saved. Not very often you find a genuine link to childhood like that :cool:

Exactly! All of my other childhood CRTs are well gone at this stage.

I think the last game I remember playing on it was Goldeneye.

Just sent on a photo, looks to be a Philips 28PT4503/20. Ugly ass stand but they look nice enough when the stand is removed. Decent set of speakers on it.

Whats-App-Image-2020-10-28-at-14-20-06.jpg

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you absolutely can't find a space for it, stick it on the Marketplace, I'm sure someone will look after it for you!

Definitely, I haven't consigned a CRT to the rubbish heap yet and won't be starting anytime soon :)

Those philips TV were in every house.
    Must have been a power city special .

The first colour TV I remember getting was a 14" Tatung off Santa.

Master of the Universe

Those philips TV were in every house.
    Must have been a power city special .

The first colour TV I remember getting was a 14" Tatung off Santa.

Ah no way? There's a Power City just down the road from their house so you're probably right :D

My first was a 14 inch Telefunken. Got it for my birthday one year as my folks were sick of me playing my Megadrive on the sitting room TV!

Remember the excitement opening it out of its box, couldn't believe I had my own TV.

• Advertisement

My first tv was a 14" Trinitron.....I still have it! It's quite old, and from memory doesn't support 60Hz, so will remain a preserved relic!

Master of the Universe

You had a trini as your first tv? La-de-dah! Started off on some high note :D

Managed to hold onto it all these years? That's amazing - was it ever almost destined for the recycling centre?

o1s1n wrote: »
    You had a trini as your first tv? La-de-dah! Started off on some high note :D

Managed to hold onto it all these years? That's amazing - was it ever almost destined for the recycling centre?

Yeah, came from the same Nan who bought me my first console too (2600 Junior). She had good taste :cool:

Yeah it was loaned out to another family member a good few years back, and was largely forgotten about. Some time later then they offered it back as they no longer needed it, & from there, gained 'protected status'. It now lives out in the shed, covered over, alongside a 21" crt that was the main living room tv when I was a teenager.

Master of the Universe

Lucky man! So loaning it out actually saved it from the great CRT purge when flat panels came along.

Yeah it's really amazing the way devices like that go from 'junk to be thrown out to make way for the new' to 'ancient relic from my childhood and must be preserved at all costs'. Something just clicks in your head.

Master of the Universe

Anyone ever have to deal with the horror of trying to calibrate 'line gain' pots on a CRT?

These two here:

mMYu8kTl.jpg

I would suggest not going near them if your geometry looks correct!

I noticed the other day while playing Alien 3, that when you go up a ladder (and the screen scrolls up) the image got oddly distorted towards the top. Like the ladder you're going up stretches when it gets to the top of the screen.

It was incredibly nauseating and is kind of subtle in a way, so you kind of see it in your peripheral vision but not so much when you look directly at it.
    Surprised I hadn't noticed it before.

In the Strike games, the screen scrolls a lot in all directions, so it was even worse in that. You spend a lot of that game scrolling up diagonally, so you're getting these strange diagonal stretches in your peripheral vision.

Decided to try to figure out what was going on.

Basically if you think of the whole screen as a grid with a load of squares, you want all the squares to be of equal size, both vertically and horizontally for correct geometry.

Line gain lets you resize the squares across the screen.

So the issue I was having (could see it when I bought up a test grid) is that the vertical line gain was set to give the top squares on the screen more vertical size than the middle ones.

So when a sprite traveled up the screen, it was being stretched slightly when it hit the top third.

You'd think this was an easy fix, but it's very difficult.

The line gain vertical pot doesn't just resize all of the squares uniformly. If the pot is all the way to the right, more of the top squares are bigger and if you go all the way to the left, the bottom squares are bigger - so you've to fiddle with it somewhere in the middle to get it uniform across the screen.

It's extremely hard to do though as you've to measure by eye (I tried with a ruler, didn't work!). Sometimes it might look right static on a grid, but when you put a scroll test on, you're still getting stretching. Turn the pot and get the top part looking right and then the bottom of the screen is out.

And that's just vertical configuration, there's horizontal too!

After about an hour sitting in front of the screen with a test grid and scroll tests at varying speeds, I got it spot on.

Not joking though, I actually felt like being ill at the end of it, watching vertical scroll tests with an incorrectly set up vertical line gain does strange things to your brain if you stare at it that long!

Well done man! It's one of those things that you don't notice unless you're playing a game with a certain type of scrolling

If you stop to think about the effort and struggle crts are to have perfect you'd go crazy.

Master of the Universe

That's it exactly - for anything with a mostly horizontal only movement like Street Fighter, you'd never see it. I usually play vertical shmups and the likes on the smaller monitor in tate mode so that might be why I haven't really noticed it now.

I tell you what, the more I mess about with these things, the more I have to tip my hat to CRT engineers and anyone who calibrated a monitor in a factory before they went out for sale!

Master of the Universe

I fixed another issue with this BVM last night. Well, kind of fixed..came up with a really workable solution that fixes all it's problems for a gaming session.

Not sure if people remember, but I'd a purity issue that I could just not get rid of. Would fix it with a magnet, but then as soon as the monitor degaussed, the problem came back. Tried adjusting purity rings but that didn't solve it either.

I think there's actually something up with the degaussing coil itself. For some reason it thinks incorrect purity is the correct thing to degauss to.

Solution! (after what must be nearly 2 years of trying to fix this!)

There's a pull out drawer on the bottom of the monitor. I took the plate that covers the pots off to access underneath. Originally just wanted to have a poke around but then this idea occurred to me.

I stuck a rare earth magnet it to the rail inside this drawer. So that the magnet would pull out when the drawer pulls out, and then push in when the drawer pushes in.

Put the plate cover back on away we go.

When the drawer is pulled out, there's no magnet impacting the monitor. When you push the drawer in, the magnet does it's work and changes the purity.

The solution?

Power the monitor on with the drawer pulled out, it degausses on boot as normal and the purity issue comes up. (Really bad discoloration on the bottom left and a bit on the top right)

Push the drawer in - magnet does it's work, purity issue solved!

It's more a hodge podge patch than a fix, but I can now play games without cursing the impurity issues under my breath :D

Richard-Dean-Anderson-in-Macgyver.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

These are getting quite rare. CRT rear projection tv. Not too heavy. Someone please grab it before me

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/toshiba-42-rear-projection-tv/22066845

Advertisement