Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funny women?

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Now I assumed she would be similar to another frumpy unfunny Victoria Wood.

Victoria Wood was brilliant.

Has anyone mentioned Fascinating Aida yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Julia Louis-Dreyfus has already been mentioned, and she was in Veep with Anna Chlumsky, who was also brilliant considering that she was previously remembered as the little girl in My Girl.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I find Katherine Ryan hiliarious most of the time. Most female comedians are a big miss though. I think the view of it being a male endeavour doesn't help, it seems to attract a certain type of women in a lot of cases who aren't ever really going to be endearing beyond their own pretty narrow background.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

Anyone who thinks women aren't funny has never seen Eleanor Tiernan (Tommy Tiernan's younger sister) and her absolutely ridiculous "district court transcript" news reports.

For example :D:D:D:D:D

These are quite funny, but I don't think she wrote them, so she's just doing a good acting job here.

(BTW I believe she's Tommy Tiernan's cousin rather than his sister.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,900 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jen Brister

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Shappi Khorsandi:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,662 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Jen Brister

that would have to go in a thread about women not being funny

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    that would have to go in a thread about women not being funny

50/50 on her after seeing it. Never heard of her before popped up on recomended - probably because of watching Sarah Millican

50/50 on her after seeing it. Never heard of her before popped up on recomended - probably because of watching Sarah Millican

Shappi is much better, more elements of humour , Brister is more like someone giving a sit down interview on a late night show, mildly amusing but thats about it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There a certainly examples of hilarious women; Jennifer Saundeds, Ab Fab was Ab Fab, Caroline Aherne, Joan Rivers, The Golden Girls, the ladies in Fraiser, Seinfeld and Cheers were all great.
    In terms of stand up, i've yet to see a female act i enjoyed but then i dislike most male stand ups too.
    On a one to one conversation or social setting basis, in my experience men are funnier 8 times out of 10. That's just my perception obviously but that's what "funny" is based on and i dont think many people would contradict me in that.

• Advertisement

There a certainly examples of hilarious women; Jennifer Saundeds, Ab Fab was Ab Fab, Caroline Aherne, Joan Rivers, The Golden Girls, the ladies in Fraiser, Seinfeld and Cheers were all great.
    In terms of stand up, i've yet to see a female act i enjoyed but then i dislike most male stand ups too.
    On a one to one conversation or social setting basis, in my experience men are funnier 8 times out of 10. That's just my perception obviously but that's what "funny" is based on and i dont think many people would contradict me in that.

or any scene in three and a half men with Berta in it , never a bad scene with her

silverharp wrote: »
    Shappi is much better, more elements of humour , Brister is more like someone giving a sit down interview on a late night show, mildly amusing but thats about it

I found it an interesting as both Shappi and Brister's main thrust of thier material was the same. Of 'ethnic' background and so on.

I found it an interesting as both Shappi and Brister's main thrust of thier material was the same. Of 'ethnic' background and so on.

probably being Iranian gives an opportunity from more edgy humour but also she has better comedic timing imo.

More Sarah Millican (this time doing a skit with a real early morning news reader Bill Turnbull)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Norm Macdonald in a conversation about female comedians.
    "Sarah Silverman is hysterical, who's funnier than her?"
    -Nobody
    "Well except dudes"

Norm Macdonald in a conversation about female comedians.
    "Sarah Silverman is hysterical, who's funnier than her?"
    -Nobody
    "Well except dudes"

Not a fan of Silverman at all. Awful, but what do I know? She is a multi-millionaire!

(Bit of irony with the SilverMAN)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

She's try-hard. Gotta say she's cracked me up now and again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Silverman has her moments alright, her and Nikki Glaser can be very funny.

Not sure if shes been mentioned on here but Rose Matafeo's recently released stand up show is very funny in parts. Well worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

watching Mrs Maizel on amazon , shes quite funny

I know she has been mentioned already (searched her name after I saw video on you tube - fecking all female comedians are popping up now on my recommend list . I blame this thread! )

Fern Brady. Obviously very political and militant. I dunno if she is this funny normally, really cutting comments - one after another no holds barred.

But she manages to make it funny on one side, and vicious on the other.
    Did cursory research on her a Scottish bisexual former stripper of Irish parentage. Some mix,

Major black mark on her is the following:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fern_Brady

"In 2020, Brady and fellow comedian Alison Spittle started a podcast for the BBC called Wheel of Misfortune, which is based in the Wheel of Fortune." :eek:

Now admittedly I have not listened to the podcast. Why would you torture yourself?

But, if Alison Spittle gets notions about stripping from Brady. It would be the lesser of two evils in my view, as Spittle could give up 'comedy' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I know she has been mentioned already (searched her name after I saw video on you tube - fecking all female comedians are popping up now on my recommend list . I blame this thread! )

Fern Brady. Obviously very political and militant. I dunno if she is this funny normally, really cutting comments - one after another no holds barred.

Did cursory research on her a Scottish bisexual former stripper of Irish parentage. Some mix,

"In 2020, Brady and fellow comedian Alison Spittle started a podcast for the BBC called Wheel of Misfortune, which is based in the Wheel of Fortune." :eek:

Now admittedly I have not listened to the podcast. Why would you torture yourself?

But, if Alison Spittle gets notions about stripping from Brady. It would be the lesser of two evils in my view, as Spittle could give up 'comedy' :D

another prime example of an unfunny woman.
    Watched the majority of that clip and didn't find anything she said original or funny but good luck to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Someone else whose work I've enjoyed recently is Iliza Shlesinger. Her guest monologue on the Jimmy Kimmel Show was a strong statement against "cancel culture" that kept it pretty funny too.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

I enjoyed this OK it was simple and uncomplicated, but Nina Conti not only had to do ventriloquism but think on her feet and ad lib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Fern Brady is very good in fairness. That podcast is horrific.
    I gave it a go as I think spittle is awful and being in Scotland I was aware of Brady so out of interest I caught it.

She’s wasting her time with it, she’s getting some attention so I reckon she’ll be “too busy” for it soon.

I found another one that made me laugh. She was on Joe Rogan and I was wondering who she was.

There were a few funny bits in this routine that made me laugh.
    I thought the timing was good in parts of it.

Advertisement