Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation/PSone thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭zenarcadian

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Happened a lot back in the day. 10/10 reviews for the likes of Rise of the Robots in Amiga Format, Driv3r getting similar scores and there was also the case of the UK exclusive review of Manhunt getting taken off PS Max (I think) since they gave it a 2/10 and then going to OPSM where it got a 9 or 10.

****ing Rise of the Robots, like. They tried so hard to sell that game. Driv3r was also a ridiculous situation - a thoroughly broken game with a huge PR campaign that ruined the series.

Aah, PS Max. The slightly cheaper, less satisfying one you could get midweek with pocket money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember PSM winning media awards at its brainiest/wordiest, though it went off the cliff after 1999-2001, briefly becoming a very likeable cult mag for the rest of its run until 2004.

My flatmate used to write in to OIPM. He's threatened to disown me if I ever reveal who he is. :-D

It went through editors that tried to do some good things with it and then the readership dropped and they would go back to business as usual. Pity, I remember some of the official magazines like the Megadrive and Saturn ones actually being really great.

I actually feel sorry for your flatmate. Ask him if he had to sort through letters giving printing priority to the most opinionated teenager who had the best Metal Gear Solid and FF7 completion time? :) The writing was dreadful in that magazine but I feel it was due to very young inexperienced writers. I imagine your flatmate is a lot better now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I remember the whole of the summer of 1998 spending my time playing Colin McRae rally.

It was just brilliant when it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

The Driver series was pretty cool with the release of the first one, but fell away after 2 and 3... sad in fairness... it could have been great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Driver Parallel Lines is surprisingly great tbh.
    Lots to do, big game world, two time lines with new cars and changing cityscape, its on the PS2 as well and cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭zenarcadian

It went through editors that tried to do some good things with it and then the readership dropped and they would go back to business as usual. Pity, I remember some of the official magazines like the Megadrive and Saturn ones actually being really great.

I actually feel sorry for your flatmate. Ask him if he had to sort through letters giving printing priority to the most opinionated teenager who had the best Metal Gear Solid and FF7 completion time? :) The writing was dreadful in that magazine but I feel it was due to very young inexperienced writers. I imagine your flatmate is a lot better now!

The Saturn one was fantastic. I have them all in .cbr on my hard drive, an amazing trove of games writing.

He was one of those opinionated teenagers! Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Anyone remember this promo video?
    I got it on vhs at the time. Can't recall where I got it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

I think he is talking about the next to impossible tutorial stage in driver that about 0.99% of the population could beat.

Ah it wasn't that hard! Feckin sunday drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Access wrote: »
    I remember the whole of the summer of 1998 spending my time playing Colin McRae rally.

They have outdone themselves with Dirt Rally again this time round, even though it's in early access.

I have a Logitech G27 racing wheel on the way at the moment and I cant friggin wait to play it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Anyone remember this promo video?
    I got it on vhs at the time. Can't recall where I got it from.
    It came from Sony.

I got it on the cover of C+VG. They got some letters of complaint about bias, but they explained that Sony paid for the video to be packaged with the magazine, so it was all advertising money for C+VG.

As for the Playstation, you could justifiably get nostalgic about playing WipeOut or Colin McRae Rally, but practically every game was squashed 50Hz, so you were playing in slow motion. The 3D might have been better than the competition, but it was still bad. Can you remember what it was like to play Scud Race in 1997, then go home and look at some blocky, wobbly 3D on your PlayStation? The 2D stuff is still relevant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have gone back and played a lot of PS content over the years and its all too easy to say that 3D is a bust on early 90's consoles.
    Wipeout 2097 and F1'97 still look good.
    Yes, the resolution is a tad low but the games are still a good way to spend a few hours even now.
    Colony Wars and its sequels, Roll cage and its sequel, Micromachines V3, Resident Evil, 2 and 3 just plenty of decent games and rendered in early 3D.
    Fade to Black is another one, the sequel to Flashback on the earlier consoles and computers, a fine 3D rendered title that is better on the PS than it was on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Howdy, longtime lurker, first-time poster here.

Just plucking up the courage to kickoff a general PSone love thread and ascertain the following for the grey box and its dinky successor, as well as the following:

- Official UK PlayStation Magazine
    - Official PlayStation Magazine - Ireland
    - PocketStation and third-party expanded memory cards
    - 2D shmups in PAL format/casing
    - Midas, Phoenix, etc. latter-day budget titles
    - The case for 1998's winter lineup being among the greatest in gaming history
    - The Tombi series

What say you, retro geeks?
    What does that line mean in the OP?

Got to agree there's plenty of good 3D PS1 games out there, some even hold up well and look gorgeous. Megaman Legends series in particular used the blocky angular polygons to create it's own distinctive art style and it's pretty much as close to a Studio Ghibli film as games got until Ni No Kuni (although that failed as a game while Legends is like a videogame version of Laputa). Anything by the big companies usually looked good and ran at a fair auld clip, although Square Enix liked to sacrifice frame rate for spectacle (but at least kept the menus running at 30 FPS... unlike ****ty Legend of Dragoon).

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

Access wrote: »

Same as. I loved that game. At the opposite end of the driving game realism scale I remember circuit breakers being great fun with 4 players on a multitap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

What's the best modchip variation for a pal PS1 ?
    I was going to get one of the goldfinger yolks but my model doesn't have the serial port.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I went looking at them about 3 months ago.

Old crow version from eurasia was what I finished up with

horgan_p wrote: »
    I went looking at them about 3 months ago.

Old crow version from eurasia was what I finished up with

Would it work on SCPH9002?

Had no idea they were so cheap :)

sugarman wrote: »
    Where abouts are you located?

Have an MM3 modchip lying about if you want it, will have to be soldered in tho.

I'm down in Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

airmax87 wrote: »
    I'm down in Celbridge.

Whoop Celbridge FTW

• Advertisement
Advertisement