Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSX プレミアムトーク Sexy Fever Premium Chat™

Options
  • 13-11-2014 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

Let's use this thread to discuss all things MSX. Also, as a bait to get The Last Bandit to post some filthy premium snaps of his hunky machine!

I'll start:

Msx_repro_aleste_f_gaiden.JPG

WANT. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've a feeling that reading this thread is going to work out expensive...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've a feeling that reading this thread is going to work out expensive...!

I've already been looking up Turbo R systems instead of cots and nappy changers! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I would suck for Space Manbow.

Space_Manbow_-Konami-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

easier finding a cheap msx2 or a 2+ really. there just wasn't much available for the Turbo R and most of it had better versions on the PC Engine.

oh boy... in these days I'd buy a game just based on the front artwork
    tumblr_n15l6zJ21e1rnxe6ho1_500.jpg

• Advertisement

LongZ wrote: »
    easier finding a cheap msx2 or a 2+ really. there just wasn't much available for the Turbo R and most of it had better versions on the PC Engine.

But the name man! The name!!!!!! :mad::D:p

Bloke/Mot 1: "Look at my MSX 2+. Isn't it lovely?"

Bloke/Mot 2: "Yeah, well **** you, look at my TURBO R ye clown!"

I feel I need say no more. :cool:

yeah, one has "MSX" in the name ...
    ...the other one is a dusty Bentley:) :P

Bentley-Turbo%20R-3.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

LongZ wrote: »
    oh boy... in these days I'd buy a game just based on the front artwork
    tumblr_n15l6zJ21e1rnxe6ho1_500.jpg

Classic Konami stealing artwork from movies, isn't that the Irish wan from Temple of Doom on there? Alison Doody??

could be. as a kid I never gave it a second thought though.
    wasn't the first castlevania 2 cover also taking elements from a D&D artist at some point ?

If only the first Castlevania was the least of their crimes :) Most of the art work is stolen. Simons Quest was taken from a D&D expansion, the original castlevania might have been something else but was definitely stole.

• Advertisement

Does the MSX 2+ or Turbo R have native RGB out? If not, more jobs for me to pile on TLB. :D

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If only the first Castlevania was the least of their crimes :) Most of the art work is stolen. Simons Quest was taken from a D&D expansion, the original castlevania might have been something else but was definitely stole.

The original was stolen from a Boris Vallejo painting. Who funnily enough went on to do some actual videogame covers (Golden Axe 2 would be one of them)

His wife is also an amazing painter and did the Echo The Dolphin artwork and quite a few more.

as far as I knew it was inspired by a Frank Frazetta painting:
    frank-frazetta-norseman-castlevania.jpg

Simon's Quest was Clyde Cadwell's cover of the ravenloft expansion for AD&D (had that one, great setting)
    Not sure about Casltevania 3 but the style is very VERY inspired by Jeff Easley's work , another AD&D artist

There's a whole post dedicated on arcade-sushi, konami is generously featured :)
    http://arcadesushi.com/stolen-images-in-video-games/

still ... great covers nonetheless.

Master of the Universe

Doh! Confuzing my painters :pac:

This article is great for looking at stolen artwork in games:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tracing/tracing.htm

On a related note I love the MSX style artwork that was used to promote La Mulana which is a game based heavily on old school MSX games, Maze of Golvellious in particular.

La-Mulana-730x456.jpg

This article is great for looking at stolen artwork in games:
    http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tracing/tracing.htm

mmm . As a visual artist I think this is a poor article as it doesn't really distinguish between elements that are culturally referable, homages, inspiration and plain plagiarism. Some of it is even plain wrong .
    We also have to keep in mind that at some point, some photos (like martial artists, actors ...) or were either license-free or could be acquired with exclusive or agreed rights for a fee.

... but I suppose we're going waay off topic here :)

On a related note I love the MSX style artwork that was used to promote La Mulana which is a game based heavily on old school MSX games, Maze of Golvellious in particular.

Maze of Galious ;) (it was the artwork I posted earlier)
    It also takes a lot of elements and visuals from Treasure of USAS

19.png

The game had great music too. I did these vids a while back thinking I'd introduce a game & music on a regular basis but just didn't have enough time for it:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Doh! Confuzing my painters :pac:

Tsk tsk...and an arts graduate to boot :P

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    Tsk tsk...and an arts graduate to boot :P

:D

In my defense, Frank Frazetta is to Boris Vallejo as The Monkeys are to Take That. :pac:

I actually prefer his wife Julie Bell's artwork.

Here's my favourite piece of her art. You may recognize it as an early FPS game :D

wolf3d.jpg

A lad on Comic Art Fans owns this piece of hers and I've been harassing him to sell it to me. No reply as of yet! :D

Edit - posted the wrong link, meant the Strider 2 cover!

bj-strider2.jpg?w=536

Master of the Universe

Okay lads, so as someone who knows nothing about MSX hardware, what do I need to be looking for at minimum to play everything? Seriously considering one.

Okay lads, so as someone who knows nothing about MSX hardware, what do I need to be looking for at minimum to play everything? Seriously considering one.

Same here. I really shouldn't, but I can't resist one. :(

MSX2 or MSX2+ is the one to get apparently. Be prepared to pay some insane money for the top titles though. Some games are bordering AES levels...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

wolf3d.jpg

I can see where Hunky Dorys got their crisp design from now! :pac:

Never knew MSX was the brainchild of Microsoft, interesting.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I can see where Hunky Dorys got their crisp design from now! :pac:

Never knew MSX was the brainchild of Microsoft, interesting.

Well that's one of my favourite game covers ruined now, thanks :pac:

Yeah I only read that about Microsoft and MSX very recently. You think it would be more common knowledge.

Jaysus every article I've read about the msx mentions the Microsoft link. The history behind the machine is very interesting. Fan translations apparently started on that system, the Phillips version of the machine was very popular in Holland so a lot of Japanese games were fan translated. There's still a fan translation scene releasing still every so often, like the excellent War of the Dead 2 recently. It's hard to keep up with them since they don't like operating through the usual channels like romhacking.net.

I thought this was more common knowledge.

I learned Basic and Pascal with the MSX and my first steps in assembly. We even had a DOS on the MSX and early version of what would become Corel Paint.

It was a great machine for an aspiring developer that introduced a lot of the standards now in use.

...oh it's good not to be laughed at anymore when I mention the MSX :D

I reckon a 1chip MSX will do the job for me. Aleste Gaiden cart is a savage idea, but it was never a cart in the first place. So no harm chucking it on a flash cart. :)

What kind of pads could I use on an MSX/1chip MSX? Are they wired up like a Neo Geo? Maybe a bean stick will do the job in that case.

I doubt there'd be too many emulation isues with the 1 chip. I wouldn't be surprised if it's near identical to the original machine. It's based on a Z80 and off the shelf parts and is hardly a complex machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

They should be the regular DB9 joystick ports.

I'll have to resurrect mine from the attic after all this MSX talk, even if is the ugly Toshiba HX10 version. Nothing to play on it though :( Might have to improvise someway of loading in WAV files.

Oh the BlueMSX emulator is a decent emulator if you want to mess about without splashing the cash.

Advertisement