Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
08-11-2019, 21:40   #16
GreeBo
Registered User
 
GreeBo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 19,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurikane View Post
They don't. They could offer free parking for a couple of hours to stop people parking all day or free parking when you make a purchase.
And then you'd have people nip into town for an hour and a half while parking for free. Its a 20 minute journey.

The square to abbey Street is 50 mins... Not sure who would take advantage of that free parking tbh.

Tesco gives free parking if you spend 30 quid
GreeBo is offline  
Advertisement
08-11-2019, 21:52   #17
markpb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,788
Dundrum have no choice but to charge for parking, it’s a condition of their planning permission. And no, 10c an hour wouldn’t cut it before some legal eagle suggests it.
markpb is offline  
(2) thanks from:
08-11-2019, 23:19   #18
sdanseo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,250
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
Dundrum have no choice but to charge for parking, it’s a condition of their planning permission. And no, 10c an hour wouldn’t cut it before some legal eagle suggests it.
explains this nicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdanseo View Post
Dundrum's parking always annoys me. 1 hour €2, then 2 hours free, then extortion to prevent commuter parking.

Why not 2 hours free, then kick in charges (live Pavilions owned by the same people)?

Profit. That's why. And power to them when people will pay it.
Thanks.
sdanseo is offline  
09-11-2019, 10:03   #19
okidoki987
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,521
If you spend either €20 or €30 in Tesco, you get 1 hours free parking.

Buy anything (it seems) in Lidl, you get an hours free parking in the
Old Dundrum Shopping centre, a short walk to the "newer one".

If you park on the main street, you get an additional 15 minutes free when you put in a minimum of 50c into the meter.
okidoki987 is offline  
Thanks from:
09-11-2019, 10:19   #20
Sarn
Registered User
 
Sarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,405
It’s €3 for 3 hours (or €3 for first hour and two hours free) and if you spend €30 in Tesco you get €3 off your shop for parking.
Sarn is offline  
Advertisement
09-11-2019, 11:39   #21
_Kaiser_
Registered User
 
_Kaiser_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 21,050
Ah Dundrum Shopping Centre.. detest the place myself. The paid parking is one aspect, but the overpriced nature of the stores and the type of stores in the place is another. Place always struck me as having "notions"

I'd sooner drive to Liffey Valley or Blanch - and often did when I lived in the area.

Last edited by _Kaiser_; 09-11-2019 at 11:42.
_Kaiser_ is online now  
09-11-2019, 11:58   #22
Mr.S
Moderator
 
Mr.S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kaiser_ View Post
Ah Dundrum Shopping Centre.. detest the place myself. The paid parking is one aspect, but the overpriced nature of the stores and the type of stores in the place is another. Place always struck me as having "notions"

I'd sooner drive to Liffey Valley or Blanch - and often did when I lived in the area.
Mr.S is offline  
Thanks from:
09-11-2019, 13:26   #23
AndrewJRenko
Registered User
 
AndrewJRenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdanseo View Post
Dundrum's parking always annoys me. 1 hour €2, then 2 hours free, then extortion to prevent commuter parking.

Why not 2 hours free, then kick in charges (live Pavilions owned by the same people)?

Profit. That's why. And power to them when people will pay it.
Why would you expect people who walk, cycle, bus or Luas to Dundrum to subsidise storage of your private property?
AndrewJRenko is online now  
09-11-2019, 14:16   #24
salmocab
Registered User
 
salmocab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Why would you expect people who walk, cycle, bus or Luas to Dundrum to subsidise storage of your private property?
The people on the luas and bus were already subsidised on their journey so it seems fair
salmocab is online now  
Advertisement
09-11-2019, 14:46   #25
AndrewJRenko
Registered User
 
AndrewJRenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmocab View Post
The people on the luas and bus were already subsidised on their journey so it seems fair
Really? Do you really want to go there - on how motoring and motorists are hugely subsidised by society at large?
AndrewJRenko is online now  
09-11-2019, 14:49   #26
tdf7187
Registered User
 
tdf7187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
'Free' parking isn't really free. It just means that the costs of providing parking are shared by all customers, including those who walk or cycle or taking the bus. If you want storage space for your private property, it's not unreasonable that you pay for the cost of this.
Speaking as a fellow cyclist, your obsessive holier-than-thou attitude is tiresome, off-putting and unlikely to win many converts to our cause.

tdf7187 is offline  
09-11-2019, 14:52   #27
Plumbthedepths
Registered User
 
Plumbthedepths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 4,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf7187 View Post
Speaking as a fellow cyclist, your obsessive holier-than-thou attitude is tiresome, off-putting and unlikely to win many converts to our cause.

He's a cyclist? Does he cycle only on non subsidised roads?
Plumbthedepths is offline  
09-11-2019, 14:54   #28
salmocab
Registered User
 
salmocab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Really? Do you really want to go there - on how motoring and motorists are hugely subsidised by society at large?
Not really, I don’t care.
salmocab is online now  
09-11-2019, 14:54   #29
tdf7187
Registered User
 
tdf7187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post
Really? Do you really want to go there - on how motoring and motorists are hugely subsidised by society at large?
You're correct - they are. But most of society at large chooses to drive/own/rent cars. Motorists are part of society at large.

Look, I'm on your side, I don't even own a car at present (can't afford one for reasons I won't get into), but I'm interested in pursuing more sensible tactics.
tdf7187 is offline  
09-11-2019, 14:55   #30
tdf7187
Registered User
 
tdf7187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbthedepths View Post
He's a cyclist? Does he cycle only on non subsidised roads?
I would hope that he cycles wherever he bloody well likes - as I do.
tdf7187 is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search