Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heysel disaster 35 years ago today.

• 29-05-2020 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/i-witnessed-heysel-disaster-35-4173470

Just read this fans account of the terrible tragedy that happened. Grim reading but something that wasnt so long ago.

Remember watching the game at the time and not fully understanding what was really going on to be honest.

The 80's had some really bad disasters including Bradford which was only a few weeks before it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

A real shameful day in Liverpool's history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

It was terrible. But the authorities were warned before the match that the venue was not suitable. The stadium was falling apart. And there has been history previous seasons with Italian fans attacking Liverpool fans the previous season. This was the days before crowd safety.

As a Liverpool supporter I'm not in any way condoning what happened, it was abhorrent behaviour by our fans. But the authorities should never had let that match get played there.

Would a stadium like that be used for a champions League final today?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

ciaran76 wrote: »
    The 80's had some really bad disasters including Bradford which was only a few weeks before it.

1985 was a bad year...

There were a lot of dangerous games or near misses too, Roma v Liverpool 1984 the FA Cup semifinal in 1981, Bohs v Rangers 1984, the Utd v Liverpool game in 1985, Birmingham v Leeds 1985, Luton v Millwall 1985. You just have to look at the cages people were in in the early 90s from the recent World Cup and FA Cup rewinds.

Motson, who above anything else was an experienced matchgoer then, said he feared for his life at Luton v Millwall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

dfx- wrote: »
    1985 was a bad year...

There were a lot of dangerous games or near misses too, Roma v Liverpool 1984 the FA Cup semifinal in 1981, Bohs v Rangers 1984, the Utd v Liverpool game in 1985, Birmingham v Leeds 1985, Luton v Millwall 1985. You just have to look at the cages people were in in the early 90s from the recent World Cup and FA Cup rewinds.

Motson, who above anything else was an experienced matchgoer then, said he feared for his life at Luton v Millwall.

Derry V Cork in the FAI Cup Final in 89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

emo72 wrote: »
    It was terrible. But the authorities were warned before the match that the venue was not suitable. The stadium was falling apart. And there has been history previous seasons with Italian fans attacking Liverpool fans the previous season. This was the days before crowd safety.

As a Liverpool supporter I'm not in any way condoning what happened, it was abhorrent behaviour by our fans. But the authorities should never had let that match get played there.

I dont buy that tbh. Even if the stadium had have been held together with match sticks and blue tac, those fans would not have died if it were not for the actions of a significant number of liverpool supporters. There is no whataboutery here.

If the wall had not collapsed people would have simply been crushed or suffocated against it, the end result would have been the same, perhaps even worse as at least some of them had a means to escape from the carnage when it did give way.

https://youtu.be/lRDzBi1IZj8

Video above contains some distressing scenes so discretion is advised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I was at that. Felix bloody Healy.:(

Savage crowd from Derry at it. I was behind the goal he scored into, which was fine but the rest of the ground was fairly jammers.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I was at that. Felix bloody Healy.:(

Savage crowd from Derry at it. I was behind the goal he scored into, which was fine but the rest of the ground was fairly jammers.

I was moved from behind the goal where most of the Derry fans were to the side of the pitch as it was two packed for little citytillidie

Or Ireland v Italy 1985. How anyone saw anything from down below pitch level at Dalymount is a mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

emo72 wrote: »

You may not be condoning it but you seem to be making very flimsy excuses based on your own allegiances, to make the actions of those involved not as appalling as they should be remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Seriously?

I never heard it mentioned anywhere for trouble.

• Advertisement

This thread is not going devolve into a which was worse type thread between Hillsborough and Heysel. Cut it out please, posts may be deleted, carded or thread closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

dfx- wrote: »
    Or Ireland v Italy 1985. How anyone saw anything from down below pitch level at Dalymount is a mystery.

I don't think that was all ticket.

FFS @ the FAI.

How many times do the current World Cup holders come to town and they don't even hold it in the biggest stadium available!!

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Seriously?

I never heard it mentioned anywhere for trouble.

Not trouble packed stand with unsafe crowd levels in the Derry end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I dont buy that tbh. Even if the stadium had have been held together with match sticks and blue tac, those fans would not have died if it were not for the actions of a significant number of liverpool supporters. There is no whataboutery here.

If the wall had not collapsed people would have simply been crushed or suffocated against it, the end result would have been the same, perhaps even worse as at least some of them had a means to escape from the carnage when it did give way.

https://youtu.be/lRDzBi1IZj8

Video above contains some distressing scenes so discretion is advised.

In fairness, emo72 said it was abhorrent behaviour by Liverpool fans. We all agree there. He also spoke the truth in saying that stadium shouldn't have held the most prestigious event in UEFA's calander - if you read about the condition of the stadium that day, it can't be disputed. There were people moving, unchecked for tickets, literally through holes in the wall.

It is possible for a scenario to occur that Liverpool fans are dicks - and also for the stadium to be unsuitable for such an event - on the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

fyfe79 wrote: »
    In fairness, emo72 said it was abhorrent behaviour by Liverpool fans. We all agree there. He also spoke the truth in saying that stadium shouldn't have held the most prestigious event in UEFA's calander - if you read about the condition of the stadium that day, it can't be disputed. There were people moving, unchecked for tickets, literally through holes in the wall.

It is possible for a scenario to occur that Liverpool fans are dicks - and also for the stadium to be unsuitable for such an event - on the same day.

Not only possible. It's factual.

Juventus and Liverpool actually both objected to it being played there., due to the state it was in. Uefa didn't listen, and barely inspected it.

Doesn't excuse anything that happened that dark day, but those are facts.

fyfe79 wrote: »

6 wrote: »
    Not only possible. It's factual.

Juventus and Liverpool actually both objected to it being played there., due to the state it was in. Uefa didn't listen, and barely inspected it.

Doesn't excuse anything that happened that dark day, but those are facts.

The condition of the stadium did not cause the deaths of those people, the actions of rival fans caused the deaths of those people. Bringing up the suitability or lack thereof of the stadium is an attempt to somehow dilute the culpability that rests solely with the Liverpool fans responsible for charging the Juve fans on the day.

It is irrelevant that fans were able to get in without tickets - unless you are saying it was ticketless fans that charged the Juve fans.

It is irrelevant that the stadium was in ramshackle condition - The condition and poor housekeeping in the Bradford stadium was the overwhelming contributory factor to the tragedy there, this does not apply with Heysel.

If a large section of Liverpool fans there on the day did not make the decision to break through the neutral section in the stadium and attack the Juve fans, thus causing a stampede and the resultant crush / wall collapse, those fans would in all likelihood have made it home alive.

No amount of whataboutery will ever change that.

The condition of the stadium did not cause the deaths of those people, the actions of rival fans caused the deaths of those people. .

Nobody said the stadium caused the deaths.

Nobody said the stadium caused the deaths.

Then why bring the condition of the stadium into the discussion?

Then why bring the condition of the stadium into the discussion?

Ask the poster that mentioned it first. I'd say he's perfectly entitled to discuss it unless mods have said otherwise, which they haven't afaik.

As for me I was replying to that discussion.

Ask the poster that mentioned it first. I'd say he's perfectly entitled to discuss it unless mods have said otherwise, which they haven't afaik.

As for me I was replying to that discussion.

Im asking you as I've already replied to him. You and the poster previous to you are the ones that took the comment about the stadium and added additional commentary that has zero relevance to what unfolded. If it had no bearing on the outcome of the day then why continue to run with that particular ball?

It reads to me that while ye are agreeing the actions by one group on the day were reprehensible, because you frankly dont have a choice with that, ye are still throwing in a bit of a yeah, but, which to me is an attempt to apportion a little bit of the culpability on the stadium and powers that be that allowed the game be played there in the first instance, to somehow explain or defend, albeit at a micro level, the indefensible.

Apologies if I'm misinterpreting and please do clarify if I am.

• Advertisement

Im asking you as I've already replied to him. You and the poster previous to you are the ones that took the comment about the stadium and added additional commentary that has zero relevance to what unfolded. If it had no bearing on the outcome of the day then why continue to run with that particular ball?

It reads to me that while ye are agreeing the actions by one group on the day were reprehensible, because you frankly dont have a choice with that, ye are still throwing in a bit of a yeah, but, which to me is an attempt to apportion a little bit of the culpability on the stadium and powers that be that allowed the game be played there in the first instance, to somehow explain or defend, albeit at a micro level, the indefensible.

Apologies if I'm misinterpreting and please do clarify if I am.

Yes, you're misinterpreting it, and no problem. See post #16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

How anyone could suggest that the state of the stadium wasn't relevant to the overall story of the day is baffling and a bit strange tbh.

Every single documentary and report on the disaster I have seen has mentioned the state of the stadium.

Alonso77 wrote: »
    How anyone could suggest that the state of the stadium wasn't relevant to the overall story of the day is baffling and a bit strange tbh.

Every single documentary and report on the disaster I have seen has mentioned the state of the stadium.

Of course there is relevance to it. The same relevance that it was a sunny day, that it was the 30th anniversary final etc. The relevance ends there however.

It is not relevant in respect of how those people died, that is the point I've been making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Of course there is relevance to it. The same relevance that it was a sunny day, that it was the 30th anniversary final etc. The relevance ends there however.

It is not relevant in respect of how those people died, that is the point I've been making.

Because of the poor state of the stadium people were easily able to get in without tickets. This led to severe overcrowding. Of course the stadium had something to do with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The tissue like fences that separated the fans and the wall that ' crumbled ' has the same relevance as it being a sunny day? Really??

Interesting perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

And I'm out.

Ah, now I understand :cool:

The condition of the stadium did not cause the deaths of those people, the actions of rival fans caused the deaths of those people. Bringing up the suitability or lack thereof of the stadium is an attempt to somehow dilute the culpability that rests solely with the Liverpool fans responsible for charging the Juve fans on the day.
    It is irrelevant that the stadium was in ramshackle condition - The condition and poor housekeeping in the Bradford stadium was the overwhelming contributory factor to the tragedy there, this does not apply with Heysel...

With respect, this is nonsense.

Of course one can say the Liverpool fans involved in rioting caused the deaths of Italian fans, and the negligence of those organising the game contributed. It's not an either/or. Blame can be allocated in many directions, and can also have a hierarchy, the negligence of those responsible for the condition of the stadium does not absolve the criminal responsibility of the rioting fans.

There are plenty of analogies. People have repeatedly called for a new Inquiry into the Stardust because of the condition of the building, flammable material, locked exits etc. Now, obviously the fire itself was possibly arson, that was the original finding anyway. But by your logic the breaches of fire regulations that have caused the families much grief would be simply ignored, as relevant as the weather...

If the group of liverpool fans did not charge through the neutral area and attack the Juve fans, thus causing the stampede, resultant crush and wall collapse, would those 39 people have died?

The answer is no.

Would the wall have crumbled if people were not herded against it by others fleeing for their safety?

Considering no other walls spontaneously crumbled that day then one can only really conclude that it wouldn't have.

You can make all the excuses you want about holes in the walls, ticketless fans and overcrowding but those 39 fans died because of the behaviour of that section of liverpool fans. No amount of yeah, buts changes that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Of course one can say the Liverpool fans involved in rioting caused the deaths of Italian fans, and the negligence of those organising the game contributed. It's not an either/or. Blame can be allocated in many directions, and can also have a hierarchy, the negligence of those responsible for the condition of the stadium does not absolve the criminal responsibility of the rioting fans.

There are plenty of analogies. People have repeatedly called for a new Inquiry into the Stardust because of the condition of the building, flammable material, locked exits etc. Now, obviously the fire itself was possibly arson, that was the original finding anyway. But by your logic the breaches of fire regulations that have caused the families much grief would be simply ignored, as relevant as the weather...

The Stardust disaster was caused by an electrical fault in a storeroom.
    There is no comparison between innocent kids losing their lives in the most horrendous of circumstances through no fault of their own and the actions of thugs and hooligans at Heysel, the policing and condition of the stadium notwithstanding.
    You're absolutely scrapping the bottom line of the barrell if that's how you defend the actions of those fans.
    Your analogy is quite frankly disgusting and you should withdraw it immediately.

Considering no other walls spontaneously crumbled that day then one can only really conclude that it wouldn't have.

You can make all the excuses you want about holes in the walls, ticketless fans and overcrowding but those 39 fans died because of the behaviour of that section of liverpool fans. No amount of yeah, buts changes that.

I think it's clear you don't understand the legal concepts of hierarchies of responsibility, from intent through recklessness and negligence. People can commit different wrongs that are relevant (the intent of the rioting fans, the negligence of the people responsible for safety) and in civil law liability for an act can be apportioned.

You can throw all the words you want at it but ultimately references to "spontaneously crumbling walls" are just silly. No one is saying a wall spontaneously crumbled.

There is no comparison between innocent kids losing their lives in the most horrendous of circumstances through no fault of their own and the actions of thugs and hooligans at Heysel, the policing and condition of the stadium notwithstanding.
    You're absolutely scrapping the bottom line of the barrell if that's how you defend the actions of those fans.
    Your analogy is quite frankly disgusting and you should withdraw it immediately.

I'm not defending the fans at all.

Nor am I comparing the victims of the Stardust with the hooligans at Heysel. I thought it was very very obvious I was comparing the victims of the Stardust with the victims at Heysel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

There is absolutely no evidence in Conor74’s posts of him defending Liverpool fans actions that night - none.

If the group of liverpool fans did not charge through the neutral area and attack the Juve fans, thus causing the stampede, resultant crush and wall collapse, would those 39 people have died?

The answer is no.

Would the wall have crumbled if people were not herded against it by others fleeing for their safety?

Just want to say IF Liverpool fans had not reacted to provocation from the Juventus fans things may have ended very different.

Not defending the fans, watching football then is very different today, its not all black and white as you are trying to state with Liverpool fans going to attack on their own when it was a reaction to provocation from Juventus fans.

Interesting analogy re Stardust, thanks for sharing. The root cause of the deaths there was fire. Certainly the poor safety and housekeeping of the nightclub contributed to the death toll however fire is not sentient, it does not choose what it does, whether deliberately started or an accident, the end result is the same given the condition of the club.

Humans, most of us anyway, are sentient, we make decisions and take actions. The fans that day chose to attack those other fans, that was the root cause of the 39 deaths. If they did not then its highly unlikely the events would have unfolded the way they did, regardless of the condition of the stadium. It's a different scenario to Stardust.

On reflection, I will concede that the death toll in Heysel might not have been as high if the stadium was in better shape. Conversely though, it could also have been higher had the walls been sturdier, as I previously said, if the wall had not given way some may not have had an escape route. Anyway, I've said my piece so will leave it at that, I have my opinions and others have theirs and never the twain shall meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Nor am I comparing the victims of the Stardust with the hooligans at Heysel. I thought it was very very obvious I was comparing the victims of the Stardust with the victims at Heysel.

That's how it reads.
    You said the fire was arson.
    Arson is a deliberate act to cause damage or injury.
    It wasn't. It was caused by poor workmanship, poor regulation and negligence.
    Nobody ran around the nightclub setting fire to the building. Nobody deliberately set out to do harm. The same cannot be said of the fans in that stadium

I don't see why you'd even reference it in a debate about Heysel.

And this isn't getting at Liverpool or Juventus fans either.
    There were any number of clubs all around Britain and Europe capable of acting in such a stupid, selfish, violent manner.
    Football was in a dark place in the 80s. And while policing and stadium design didn't help, the vast majority of culpability lies with the fans( and I use that term loosely) themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

From a Times article by Oliver Kay;

"Jacques Georges, the Uefa president at the time, and Hans Bangerter, his general secretary, were threatened with imprisonment but eventually given conditional discharges. Albert Roosens, the former secretary-general of the Belgian Football Union (BFU), was given a six-month suspended prison sentence for “regrettable negligence” with regard to ticketing arrangements. So was gendarme captain Johan Mahieu, who was in charge of the policing the stands at Heysel. “He made fundamental errors,” Pierre Verlynde, the judge, said. “He was far too passive. I find his negligence extraordinary.”

In 1989, after a five-month trial in Brussels, 14 of the 26 Liverpool supporters who stood trial were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and given a three-year prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, and each ended up serving about a year in total in behind bars. The remaining 10 defendants were acquitted of manslaughter, but some had their £2,000 bail money confiscated, having been absent for part of the trial. And civil damages estimated at more than £5million were provisionally awarded to families of the Heysel victims against the convicted fans and the BFU."

This shows that Liverpool fans were responsible for the deaths. A contributory factor was the planning of the event by UEFA and the Belgian FA, and poor policing. While the crumbling wall was one issue, the holes in the exterior walls another, a bigger issue was the chicken wire fence separating the two sets of supporters which was too easily breached. Back in the 80's, all this was a recipe for disaster. Similar trouble happened the previous year in Rome (yes, again involving Liverpool fans) - little is heard about it because the stadium was better equipped to deal with the issue and the trouble was contained resulting in no deaths.

There's a reason why organisations are expected to organise, police are expected to police and supporters are expected to behave. Once tasks are assigned to any group involved in a public event, there is a responsibility bestowed. Everything broke down at Heysel and 39 people died - predominantly because of Liverpool fans rioting, with organisational errors as a contributory factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It was obvious imo. But some posts here scream of looking for a row on the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

There's no defending the fans that day. Those that charged the Juve fans were picking for a fight, simple as that. Heysel was a kip, should never have been used; but it just enlarged the death toll, people probably would have died anyway. Those Liverpool fans were looking to avenge the events from Rome the previous year when Roma Ultras stabbed Liverpool fans before and after the '84 final. Tit for tat crap excuse.

Football hooliganism hasn't fully gone away, but the events from the 70's to the 90's were scary times. Leeds United Service Crew that got the club banned for 4 years from European competitions, the County Road Cutters that decided Stanley knives needed to brought to games, the Suicide Squad, the Red Army that terrorized the league so much that it led to fencing being brought it....... and that's just a few examples from England alone! We saw up close the neo nazis that came to Lansdowne in '95; imagine if the stand has collapsed that day.

Clubs just didn't tackle their own fanbase of hooligans enough back then (easier said than done). A truly sad event. You'll always get some opposition fans who'll use those deaths to take a shot at Liverpool (just like Hillsborough) but Heysel will always be part of Liverpool's history. It can't be forgotten or else those who died, lives that would help transform how the hooligan element would be dealt with, would be even further wasted.

Advertisement