Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Members

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

mike12 wrote: »
    Played 6 times this week, longest round was 3.15 quickest was 2.58 which is super.

Just think when we go to 10KM or clubs can take green fees it's just going to get worse for members trying to get tee times.

We are blessed with 2 18 hole courses so looks like we won't really be impacted, but sure how I would take being told I could only play twice a week after missing out for so long.

I wouldn't accept two day rule, if you are full member you are entitled to access timesheet for 7 days if you wish, 5 day members 5 days and so on.I would be asking for 5/7ths of my membership back, don't know what club it is but I'm sure there will be a membership backlash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Just on the 14 min tee time gaps, it would be an idea to keep it that way going forward if your club does not have a huge membership as play is much quicker. This week Ive twice got around in 3 balls in 3hr 10 and the longest round was 3hr 25..That's heaven compared to the log jams you get in the normal times..Our club wouldn't be able to accommodate such a move but I'm sure there are other clubs who could.

It gets reduced to 13 on 8/6 and then 12 at the end of the month.

Clubs can decide themselves if they want to reduce it faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

14 min tee times are simply wonderful. Not sustainable but still wonderful.

——

Some odd comments above about having the “right” to play 7 days a week.

With a 3 ball every 14 mins, the legal capacity of a golf course, even now among the longest days of the year, is circa 160 people per day (assuming 18 holes per player).

By demanding the right to play every day, whether you like to hear this or not, you are effectively demanding a membership cap of 160 people. And no green fees. And no guests. And no societies.

Maybe if you’re forking out 20k a year for your subscription, you should be able to make such demands. But I suspect you’re not.

That the Irish government closed your course is not your club’s fault.

That the Irish government have imposed social distancing regulations on golf for now, is not your club’s fault.

Being a touch more understanding and tolerant at this time wouldn’t go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I wouldn't accept two day rule, if you are full member you are entitled to access timesheet for 7 days if you wish, 5 day members 5 days and so on.I would be asking for 5/7ths of my membership back, don't know what club it is but I'm sure there will be a membership backlash

Just looking at it from a pure numbers point of view, and I'll simplify the numbers, for my own benefit.

If you have 50 slots a day of 3 balls, that's 150 golfers per day, and 1050 slots for the week.

If you have an active membership of 700 members, and set the limit to 2 rounds a week, it means that half of your members can only play once a week on the basis that the other 350 get their 2 slots (assuming every member wants to play)

In normal circumstances, most members are working 5 days a week, so lots of gaps on the sheet for the remainder.

In current circumstances, you have people furloughed, people out of work, people on short hours plus people working from home, so maybe closer to their course, with no commute.

That spikes demand that wouldn't normally be there, so if timesheets are suddenly much busier, I don't see a major issue with limits.

Youre saying it's not fair to you to limit your rounds, but what if you playing 4 times a week is depriving another members of their right to play at all?

I know I'm over-simplifying here, but, im just trying to illustrate a point. I doubt any club is putting in a restriction on rounds, if there is no issue with availability. But if there is enough demand, I would have said a limit is a fair approach to cover the needs of the many over the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Working well so far, wait till comps start and we'll see how it's going but atm they say there is about 850 members, We have 7 Day 5 Day and Flexi so weekend tee times should be ok

where are you member golfhead??

• Advertisement

Just looking at it from a pure numbers point of view, and I'll simplify the numbers, for my own benefit.

If you have 50 slots a day of 3 balls, that's 150 golfers per day, and 1050 slots for the week.

If you have an active membership of 700 members, and set the limit to 2 rounds a week, it means that half of your members can only play once a week on the basis that the other 350 get their 2 slots (assuming every member wants to play)

In normal circumstances, most members are working 5 days a week, so lots of gaps on the sheet for the remainder.

In current circumstances, you have people furloughed, people out of work, people on short hours plus people working from home, so maybe closer to their course, with no commute.

That spikes demand that wouldn't normally be there, so if timesheets are suddenly much busier, I don't see a major issue with limits.

Youre saying it's not fair to you to limit your rounds, but what if you playing 4 times a week is depriving another members of their right to play at all?

I know I'm over-simplifying here, but, im just trying to illustrate a point. I doubt any club is putting in a restriction on rounds, if there is no issue with availability. But if there is enough demand, I would have said a limit is a fair approach to cover the needs of the many over the few.

Some good points but far to simple view.

Most clubs have the perfect member, only plays a few times a year. A lot of people like me play only 35 times on average a year. Then some others play 2 to 3 times. Nobody plays 7 days a week.

But if your sold a product of 7 day membership and I honor my sub during closure ten I expect the club to honor the agreement.

If the club sell more membership on reopening and I now have to suffer after showing loyalty, then that’s bad form and I’ll take my business elsewhere next year.

I said this a long time ago, I expect membership to go up decent amount next year and clubs to bring back entrance fees very quickly to sort out the demand issues.

mike12 wrote: »
    Played 6 times this week, longest round was 3.15 quickest was 2.58 which is super.

Just think when we go to 10KM or clubs can take green fees it's just going to get worse for members trying to get tee times.

We are blessed with 2 18 hole courses so looks like we won't really be impacted, but sure how I would take being told I could only play twice a week after missing out for so long.

Compared to this time last year you don’t have the same amount of tee times available, it’s actually 1.1 of last years 2 courses.

So if your club sold a lot of membership and I believe Swords part is already at full membership, you don’t really have much capacity to play with.

Timesheet restrictions will mean less members allowed to join clubs in the long run.

It will be very interesting to see how it develops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I know 14 minutes makes for a quick round but I don't think its the only contribution factor. A lot of skins being played which is much quicker also not qualifying helps a lot.

Yeah I am rarely marking ball etc so that is definitely speeding things up

Also not waiting my turn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Surely its the no 4 balls and perhaps less over 70s that has a bigger impact than the 14 mins

If a group is being slow it would stack up quickly enough

Our timesheets is full to the brim but outside peak times people dont seem to be turning up, so more 2 balls that 3 balls around, which makes a massive difference

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    where are you member golfhead??

Lisheen Springs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Compared to this time last year you don’t have the same amount of tee times available, it’s actually 1.1 of last years 2 courses.

So if your club sold a lot of membership and I believe Swords part is already at full membership, you don’t really have much capacity to play with.

Timesheet restrictions will mean less members allowed to join clubs in the long run.

It will be very interesting to see how it develops
    Neither course was full any day last week so plenty of room.
    Both have limited membership so are full at a much lower number that your normal club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Surely its the no 4 balls and perhaps less over 70s that has a bigger impact than the 14 mins

If a group is being slow it would stack up quickly enough

Our timesheets is full to the brim but outside peak times people dont seem to be turning up, so more 2 balls that 3 balls around, which makes a massive difference

Played plenry of comps limited to 3 balls which took well over the 4 hour mark. The 14 minute gap is bliss. It's infuriating that it takes less than 3.5 hours for a round now but could take 4.5 hours for a Sunday comp. People just spend so much time pi33ing about. It's the thing that will likely turn me away from golf,just too much time to be spending there when you have a young family.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

I know 14 minutes makes for a quick round but I don't think its the only contribution factor. A lot of skins being played which is much quicker also not qualifying helps a lot.
    Another factor is not touching the flag. Prior to covid, the messing around with the flag in, flag out, flag in nonsense. Just leave the damn thing in.

I think 3 balls, 12 mins apart and no touching flags is the way to go in future. Sub 4 hour rounds will become the norm then.

Having said that, yesterday when my group arrived at the 9th, there was a group (3 ball) just finished teeing off and another (2 ball) waiting. Thats piss poor in all fairness for a 28 minute gap to be gone in 9 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ollieboy wrote: »
    It gets reduced to 13 on 8/6 and then 12 at the end of the month.

yea thats what i thought and then i saw an email from one of my clubs yesterday about increase of tee times by 8% and today when tee times went live for week 1st june to 7th june it was at 13 minute intervals. :confused:

i just checked the gui documents and it does indeed quite clearly say that is against the rules and should not be implemented till the 8th. however i think the club in question is just more concerned with getting more space on the time sheet as they have taken in a rake of new members and have never once even mentioned the 5km restriction... which is probably why half the tee sheet is filled with members from just outside the limit to way outside the limit!

no cares given.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

about the restricted times. i am not bothered about being asked to only play 3 days or 2 days or whatever.... sure id normally never play more than twice a week anyway as i am sure would be the case for the vast majority

i do realise though that lots of people have lots of time on their hands at the moment so times are a bit different and people want to try and get out. i know... i'm one of them, but 3 times a week is plenty

some clubs seem to be full to the rafters and don't care about their existing members and only have eyes on a big pot of subs from new members and don't know when to say we are full. this is just bad form.

i know that tee times are reduced, but i would hazard guess that in the 2 clubs im a member of, for the last 8 days and the next week or 2, despite less times being available to the same weeks last year....... there will be a hell of a lot more people playing. not a bit of daylight to be seen on either sheet. and thats for casual golf! on a normal week in may, i could play more or less at any time i fancied during the week over multiple comps as there is always availability, saturday gets busy as it is the main comp, but you will nearly always get a game

i think for the moment golf has become a sort of a novelty for many people (new members moreso), an excuse to get out of the house in a way. i just wonder will all these new members renew their subs next year or the year after when life gets back to normal. some maybe, but for the majority....... i doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Was working so missed the openeing of tee times for week starting first june. Was none available when i checked a couple of hours after opening

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey guys, any idea of how many new members your golf club has got due to covid 19. I know ours stopped counting at 100. Think it may be over 200.

Would that not completely overwhelm the timesheet with the current gaps (and even when back to normal gaps?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭blue note

It's great reading about all the new members clubs are getting. And it's not just this years sub they'll get, plenty will stay on next year if they enjoy it.

I suspect a lot of the new members will drift away after the lockdown in which case you'll have gotten a years membership out of them for giving up a handful of slots on a timesheet!

It'll really help to balance out the lost revenue from the lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Incredible numbers being mentioned here regarding new members joining clubs. 230 in one club and 200 new members in Elm Green.
    How did all these clubs survive before covid 19,if there was all that space for new members.

As somebody who has been involved in recruiting new members, 200 new members would mean that maybe 300 or more enquiries
    were made. Amazing level of enquiries in just a few weeks. Enquiries are one thing, but converting enquiries into fully paid up
    members is a different matter.

Some clubs will have to cope with an extra 65 three balls.
    Will clubs have to limit members to maybe a max of 2 games per week.

Interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Already done in Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

I am one of the new members in lisheen, the flexi membership option was great . It was that or wait until visitors are allowed again. will probably keep up the membership next year.
    Usually play once or twice a week and play a few different courses, it will be interesting to see how I find playing the same course more often
    Incredible numbers being mentioned here regarding new members joining clubs. 230 in one club and 200 new members in Elm Green.
    How did all these clubs survive before covid 19,if there was all that space for new members.

As somebody who has been involved in recruiting new members, 200 new members would mean that maybe 300 or more enquiries
    were made. Amazing level of enquiries in just a few weeks. Enquiries are one thing, but converting enquiries into fully paid up

Interesting times ahead.

Interesting times ahead.

Nah, the novelty factor will wear off and golf will go back to approx 1 in 5 playing Comps,I was involved in a survey many years ago and this was the figure that actively play comps 22% I think the number was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭willabur

I am one of the new members in lisheen, the flexi membership option was great . It was that or wait until visitors are allowed again. will probably keep up the membership next year.
    Usually play once or twice a week and play a few different courses, it will be interesting to see how I find playing the same course more often

Competition and looking to get as low as you can with your handicap is the key to keeping the course fresh for yourself I find

Welcome aboard , hope you are enjoying it, there seems to be a good buzz around the place, Probably spoke to you up there as I spoke to quite a few new members in the past week..

Nah, the novelty factor will wear off and golf will go back to approx 1 in 5 playing Comps,I was involved in a survey many years ago and this was the figure that actively play comps 22% I think the number was

Was that in Lisheen? We are at least 90%+ playing in competition on competition days

Was that in Lisheen? We are at least 90%+ playing in competition on competition days

No, that was a survey done around 2008 when I was in Woodlands Golf club (since closed ) it was GUI led or R&A, I can't remember exactly but it took into account of membership sizes and percentage of that who actually played comps over a few month period, The smaller the membership the higher percentage played comps and the higher it went the lower percentage played comps, Eg. A small club with 150 members may get 60-80 out on a weekend comp 50% and a club with 800 members (like we had at the time) were getting about 120 which was about 15 percent.It came out overall at about 22-25% total, I'll try dig it out .but what I was saying is that going forward normality will come back and tee times will be plentiful.its like gyms after Xmas packed for a while but soon all is well

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rossyd2005

Interesting times ahead.

If its any help to your recruiting i can tell you my club has over 100 new members from all this. Over half of these are Gaa players on our u40 membership. It could be a higher percentage even. I think they are joining in threes and fours aswell which really starts to add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Just joined Stackstown as they had a deal going.. had been holding out to join the grange but was slow and want to play..,. 5 min drive instead of 2 min walk but will do as played today and on timesheet sun and mon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I was talking to the Vice Captain today, we have just over 130 new members with room for more.

Benefits of two courses I guess.

Advertisement