Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turn off thanks in soccer? part 2 [read first post before posting]

• 20-05-2020 4:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

In conclusion to the previous "Turn off thanks in soccer?" thread, please post your final opinion here.

Thread rules are:

1 - Post your final opinion only, no discussion. No more than 2 posts in the thread per user.

2 - Do not quote or reference other posts.

3 - Please try to ensure there is more signal than noise, I will delete posts that do not comply with the above and hand out bans.

Thanks for all the feedback, it is appreciated and helpful.

Comments

In my opinion...
    Keep it - 222 - 58.42%
    Remove it - 122 - 32.11%

...is pretty conclusive...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

As the devs have said it's not a simple thing to change to anonymous thanks, leave it as is. Certain people just need to stop being so bloody precious about the team they support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Keep it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If possible to change it to numbers, that'd be the best approach.

I voted to remove it. It would be a good idea to try deal with the Man U vs. Liverpool crap in this forum.

Though that has probably come more into focus in recent weeks and removal of the thanks button isn't going to change it so I don't really know anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

You ran a poll, it was conclusive. Move on to the bigger issues.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Keep it.

Deal with those who misuse it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If possible, delete and block thanks on carded posts.

If not keep it and - as Osarasun said - keep it but deal with those who abuse it. But dealings with those who abuse it have to be rigid.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,853 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Confused as to the point of this thread?

The question was asked to be voted upon.
    The vote was cast.

Theres something a bit "treaty of nice" about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

No one persons opinion on this matters anymore. There was a vote and the option to keep it won, there is your answer

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

As I said in the previous thread, there are many more posters than just Liverpool and Man Utd fans in this forum. Removing thanks takes away a useful function from them, despite there being little or no issues with how they use it. The same is also true for many fans of those two clubs who don't engage in the sort of nonsense it gets used/abused for.

If a post is considered bad enough to issue a card for, then thanking it is explicit approval for the post and the thanker either didn't get a chance to post the same thing themselves or were happy to let someone else take the punishment. Either way, there's a strong argument that the person thanking the post is guilty of the same infringement and also deserves a card. That would definitely make people think twice about what they're thanking in the future and how their thanks are perceived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,738 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Keep it. It serves a purpose.

Extend thread banned people from using the functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I find the whole discussion depressing.

Keep it - this is not a safe-space for the perma-offended.

I say this as a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Outside of thanking personal abuse posts, there should not be an issue. I thought I reached peak internet last year on r/Ireland reading a thread about an incle and it's all the wimmins fault for not being interested him, nope I'm reading posts about person/people being offended not for the content of the post but who thanks it.
    People still have some growing up to do and learn to let go of the sh!t they're carrying around probably years, it's not healthy to be carrying that weight around that length of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the poll was conclusive and I voted with the majority

keep it

and people need to stop being such precious nellies and getting annoyed about an anonymous screen name appearing under posts that are unlikely even their own.

I hope every other issue brought up in the feedback thread is given this type of attention.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The poll was to keep it or get rid of it. And keep it won by a factor of 2 to 1.

Ultimately, it's already something the mods can rule on; if a poster is thanking abusive or trolling posts continuously, then the mods already have the remit to step in and take actions. Extend thread bans on to Thanks as well, but even that is harsh imo, if the thanks are for genuine posts.

I think for mods, who thanks what can be a good indicator of the persons intentions, but there's also some fans who have gotten obsessed over it too. There needs to be a level of reaction from the mods to tell people to have a little cop on; that if you're getting so massively wound up because someone is thanking posts (not posting disruptively in the thread, but literally just popping their name under a post they disagree with), maybe you're taking things all just a little too seriously.

And if you do believe someone is thanking stuff to troll, to get a reaction.....maybe giving that person pages upon pages of a reaction is the absolute worst way to deal with it? I say this as a poster and a former mod, for gods sake, just ignore people you think are desperate for attention.

And in this case, it really could not be an easier one to ignore...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Well it can't be said we were not consulted anyway!

Keep it. I like it in context of how boards works, I think it serves a good purpose and the vast majority of thanks in Soccer are to actually say thanks.

The issues some have with it as a wum tool were useful to highlight but I don't don't think that is enough to remove it.

If the conversation was about removal of thanks on boards to see if it helps or damages actual conversation across the site then it may have gone another way imo but that is not what we were aked to consider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Lord TSC wrote: »
    if a poster is thanking abusive or trolling posts continuously, then the mods already have the remit to step in and take actions.

Only the abusive ones at present, thanking trolling posts isn't regulated by the charter. Guess it could come under a general trolling rule though.

Agree that this discussion is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I once got boards post of the day from a heavily thanked post in this forum

So....keep it! :D

I think the poll speaks for itself, let's all move on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm happy that it is being kept, it is one of the better additions to the soccer forum in my time there.

Good to be able to put it to bed as it was a pretty decisive result also and move on to other topics.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Much more prominent changes needed in Soccer and I’m sure a poll on other highly contentious items would reflect that.
    The people spoke on the last vote so let’s leave Thanks as it was and move onto the more pressing issues and afford them the same time to be trashed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

There's a very simple solution here: ban the troublesome posters. Just ban them.

Everybody can see who they are.

Bring in and enforce a zero tolerance policy on low-level trolling.

Whether the poster has 100 posts or 30,000, just ban them if they're acting the bollox.

Getting rid of the thanks button is not something that will solve this issue.

I'm not a United/Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,337 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Keep it.
    Same opinion if it goes to Part 3...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Submit a request to change it to anonymous / numbers only view. Implement when available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

People will only abuse it too. Plus people might want know who thanked it for a few reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Keep the thanks button and implement the following:

A) ban those that use it to troll (give mods autonomy on this)
    B) Extend threadbanning to banning thanks

Or if these still cause issues for the mods then request C from the development team

C) show number of thanks only

• The results are clear and concise. 60% of posters agree.

You only pander to the easily offended further by removing it or making it anonymous.

Make a statement that this forum won't be shaped by those who look to find offence in everything.

That's the ultimate problem

Absolutely agree on extending thread bans to prevent thanks also however.
    If a poster is banned from a thread they should not be allowed participate.
    That's a separate issue however outside of this poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The result is clear. Had 2 weeks now to throw stuff into the hat

Next..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,940 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Keep it on.

It serves a very useful purpose.
    Clicking thanks on a post is hardly the same as brigading or barracking anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

is there any need for this thread?

Steve ran a poll and its conclusive, 58% voted to keep it.

Making any changes to it seem pointless, causing hassle for devs and just bowing down to the minority.

Anyone banned from SF or a particular thread shouldnt be allowed thank a post,if they do its an extension of their ban.Simple and effective.

If people are offended by who thanks a post its probably time for them to close their boards account.

• Advertisement

This is some bizarre pandering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ultimately from my view, the thanking thing wasn't an issue when one group of people were doing it every week for a few years. I was targeted by an individual with it and nothing ever happened to him so it suddenly being a problem to some of the people who were slapping him on the back is quite funny to me. Alas I never really cared too much about it, I'd call it out on the thread and he'd thank that post and I'd move on.

Alas, I still don't think it's a problem in and of itself and if people doing it for the sole purpose of winding others up is actually going to be policed then I don't see the problem. Seeing the person doesn't matter, actually makes it easier to weed out who goes on ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Confused as to the point of this thread?

The question was asked to be voted upon.
    The vote was cast.

Theres something a bit "treaty of nice" about this

Absolutely not. To clarify:

This thread is for everyone to sum up their opinions / offer other options . The poll will certainly be taken into account.

Again, no discussion / quoting is allowed, just post your final opinion.

I'll let the thread run for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Result is conclusive, no need to remove the thanks function. It's time to stop pandering to the vocal minority in here who are ashamed off nothing and offended by everything.

Those people are already asking for
    1) change in the thanks to a number with poster names hidden or removed and
    2) that thread banned posters can't thank posts in threads they're banned from.

This is again pandering to the vocal minority, the same minority telling us everything on boards is fine.

The votes have been cast, thanks function is not an issue let's just move along.

If people are still so offended by it then the internet is not the place for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Only on boards and only on the boards “soccer forum” could there be discussion about how to discuss a topic and and multi thread whingefest about the thanks function. Honest to god.

OK folks, the week is up. Thanks for all the genuine feedback. Time to digest it.

• Advertisement

I've asked admins if there are any middle ground options other than a straight up on or off.

Will let you know.

If that avenue is fruitless then it will stay as-is and we will need to figure out another way to deal with thanks trolling.

Enjoy the remains of this amazing BH weekend!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement