Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you fly/travel in the EU this year if it feels safe to do so? And to where?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Been reading the Spanish news today and it looks like the Spanish are moving the goalposts with their original border opening on 1st July.

It looks like now they are looking for reciprocal arrangements with countries and of course acceptable viral rates.

This could jeopardise Irish travellers until such a time the Irish government relaxes quarantine and changes travel advisories.

They are going to publish criteria on Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I applaud TDs putting the public health of the country ahead in priority over the wishes of a small but vocal minority who wish to travel without any regard to the virus

josip wrote: »
    €190 a head would be an €760 additional tax we'd have to pay for our holiday.
    I think we'd stay at home on financial grounds and we wouldn't spend any of the savings domestically if Ireland imposes that policy.
    I pay enough tax during the year without subsidising an overpriced domestic tourist sector.

I applaud your decision to stay in Ireland -more and more ppl have realised a staycation for once is not a huge sacrifice to make so kudos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I applaud TDs putting the public health of the country ahead in priority over the wishes of a small but vocal minority who wish to travel without any regard to the virus

Another one of your nonsense posts. You haven’t responded to my earlier one. Again can you explain how Irish travellers flying to a country of lower risk is putting the public health at risk?

faceman wrote: »
    Another one of your nonsense posts. You haven’t responded to my earlier one. Again can you explain how Irish travellers flying to a country of lower risk is putting the public health at risk?

Common sense and not nonsense - Anyone who leaves Ireland and circulates on an international flight and then in an international airport -regardless of their final destination- is at higher risk than someone who stays at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Common sense and not nonsense - Anyone who leaves Ireland and circulates on an international flight and then in an international airport -regardless of their final destination- is at higher risk than someone who stays at home.

So take a crowded stuffy public transport bus from Dublin to Galway with a little air condition fan is ok then? Do you support that trip?
    Planes change the air every 3 mins or so and use filters the same grade as operating theatres. I’d rather be on a plane. I have been flying longhaul for years and never even caught a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Been reading the Spanish news today and it looks like the Spanish are moving the goalposts with their original border opening on 1st July.

It looks like now they are looking for reciprocal arrangements with countries and of course acceptable viral rates.

This could jeopardise Irish travellers until such a time the Irish government relaxes quarantine and changes travel advisories.

They are going to publish criteria on Tuesday

Yes just been reading.

The current news carried by the state radio/tv service RTVE is that after a morning of confusion with different departments of the central government in Madrid contradicting each other, the plan now is for the 2 main Spanish land borders with France and with Portugal to open for tourists from 1st July.

The issue of possible earlier openings for tourist flights to some of the Spanish islands remains unclear, however.

(The other 2 land borders with Andorra and with Gibraltar have not been mentioned yet in these reports.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Micky 32 wrote: »
    What law?

The one that says you have to give notice of the location of your 14 days self isolation on arrival into the country.

Caranica wrote: »
    The one that says you have to give notice of the location of your 14 days self isolation on arrival into the country.
    As long as you are aware the isolation isn’t mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

As long as you are aware the isolation isn’t mandatory.

Giving the details is though. Returning to Belfast and driving down is still returning from the UK, same as flying into Dublin is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Anyone who leaves their house is at a greater risk than someone who stays at home. But we decide to leave the house, and go for walks, because we do a quick risk analysis and decide that the increase in risk in going for a walk is negligible. The increased risk in transiting through a sterile airport with masks and social distancing, and staying in a zone that has a lower rate of covid than us is also negligible and arguably safer than staying at home in a zone with a higher rate of infection.

Giving the details is though. Returning to Belfast and driving down is still returning from the UK, same as flying into Dublin is.

Except that you wouldn’t be asked for the details I believe. Unless there are roadblocks on the M1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Regardless of how you get into the country you're supposed to follow the law.

i bet you go to mass every day and believe absolutely everything the government tell you as well yeah :rolleyes:

jesus wept

you've more chance catching it on a Dublin bus than a near empty flight to the UK, in case you haven't noticed cases are dropping substantially, the lockdown fanatics must be seething about this.

Some amount of prophets of doom and scaremongers on this forum FFS :eek:

I will fight like tigers and lions to protect my vulnerable family members. Some ppl do NOT want to hear reason on this topic.

I and some advocacy groups Im involved in have been lobbying various TDs and thankfully most say they are in favor of prolonging this for a while longer to get the R rate even lower.

Foreign travel is discouraged and rightly so.

Ppl should be thanking their lucky stars they do not have vulnerable friends or family members if that is the case. Lucky you.

But they should also have the basic adult cop on and intelligence not to re ignite the virus trail into Ireland through unnessecary travel.

• Advertisement

I will fight like tigers and lions to protect my vulnerable family members. Some ppl do NOT want to hear reason on this topic.

I and some advocacy groups Im involved in have been lobbying various TDs and thankfully most say they are in favor of prolonging this for a while longer to get the R rate even lower.

Ppl should be thanking their lucky stars they do not have vulnerable friends or family members if that is the case. Lucky you.

But they should also have the basic adult cop on and intelligence not to re ignite the virus trail into Ireland through unnessecary travel.

I have 2 vulnerable family members who have been in self isolation. They don’t share your views. In fact they’re quite supportive of my desire to travel

I read on RTE that international travel will return in weeks to countries that have flattened the curve like Ireland has. Good news for people who want to travel.

i bet you were the teachers pet in school and vote for the green party :rolleyes::D

I have 2 vulnerable family members who have been in self isolation. They don’t share your views. In fact they’re quite supportive of my desire to travel

likewise my own mother who is elderly and vulnerable agrees totally with being able to travel now.

95% are corrupt self serving parasites with their snouts in the trough and have zero interest in anyone else unless your on the gravy train,these are the facts.

it beggars belief some are still so fooled by them, unbelievable!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

http://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0605/1145568-covid19-coronavirus-phase-2-restrictions/
    Travel for Irish people to countries where Covid-19 has been successfully supressed will return in a number of weeks, Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation Heather Humphreys has said.

Minister Humphreys told RTÉ's Morning Ireland that the Government plans to reintroduce air travel through "airbridges", which will allow travel to countries where the curve has been "flattened" to the same degree as it has here.

She said she would not encourage people to book holidays yet, but she said plans are in place and will be activated as soon as it is safe to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No doubt everyone would applaud you for protecting vulnerable family and being an advocate for vulnerable people in the wider community, and of course no one wants to place those who are in at risk groups in danger of being infected with Covid.
    With careful management and the right supports from the HSE/Government, Ireland can protect and care for the above mentioned groups without having to further Lockdown anyone who is otherwise healthy and wishes to travel.

I will most likely Travel as soon as possible, however it's still early days while Governments and Business across the EU sort out borders and restart the tourism sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Simon Harris being bitchslapped back into line by the EU then.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    likewise my own mother who is elderly and vulnerable agrees totally with being able to travel now.

Good for her and good for anyone who wants to risk their lives to C19 but where I draw the line is where ppl re introduce c19 into the community and raise the R rate.

Unforgivable selfishness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Good for her and good for anyone who wants to risk their lives to C19 but where I draw the line is where ppl re introduce c19 into the community and raise the R rate.

What's your opinion on people who choose to travel to other counties from next week and risk raising the R rate within their own county?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0605/1145568-covid19-coronavirus-phase-2-restrictions/

What's your opinion on people who choose to travel to other counties from next week and risk raising the R rate within their own county?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0605/1145568-covid19-coronavirus-phase-2-restrictions/

Fine with me. If that were a meaningful risk, then it wouldn’t be permitted at this stage

Ppl should stick to the advice as much as possible and avoid unnecessary travel is my view on it

Fine with me. If that were a meaningful risk, then it wouldn’t be permitted at this stage

So by the same logic, if International travel is permitted, then it will also not be a meaningful risk, and you'll be ok with that?

So by the same logic, if International travel is permitted, then it will also not be a meaningful risk, and you'll be ok with that?

Yes. And there is mandatory self isolation on return. I plan to travel in late July and I will self isolate when I come back, if that is still a requirement.

By your logic, someone travelling to Dublin from beyond the pale is putting their community at risk. You can’t have it all ways

• Advertisement

By your logic, someone travelling to Dublin from beyond the pale is putting their community at risk. You can’t have it all ways

Are you able to understand this , if someone flies to a country with a similiar curve to our own country you are no more likely to get the virus than someone hopping on a stuffy bus from Dublin to Galway.

Ppl should stick to the advice as much as possible and avoid unnecessary travel is my view on it
    Yes snd the advice is that we’ll be “allowed” travel to countries with the same or lower risk as our own country in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Simon Harris being bitchslapped back into line by the EU then.

I doubt it, and if EU were saying we couldn't, then why did nearly every other EU country close their borders, and some are still closed.

The good news is that internal borders are continuing to open up across Europe.
    • The European Commission, which drafts EU laws, wants the 27 member states to lift their internal border controls by 1 July. Most are in the Schengen zone, where citizens enjoy passport-free travel, but the pandemic brought border lockdowns across Europe. EU Home Affairs Commissioner Ylva Johansson announced the plan on Euronews, and the states’ home affairs ministers are discussing easing border controls today
    • The EU makes a big distinction between internal and external borders; the talk is not about lifting controls for non-EU travellers arriving in the bloc. Some border controls have already been lifted. Today the Czech Republic is lifting its controls with neighbours Austria, Germany, Hungary and Slovakia

How do you get that from what I say? I believe that the risk of transmission through travel across counties is now minimal and does not put communities at risk at all. And whatever residual risk there is from international travel is mitigated by self isolation upon return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Today the Czech Republic is lifting its controls with neighbours Austria, Germany, Hungary and Slovakia

Saw Prague on a travel vlog recently and it looks very special

How do you get that from what I say? I believe that the risk of transmission through travel across counties is now minimal and does not put communities at risk at all. And whatever residual risk there is from international travel is mitigated by self isolation upon return.

You’re very selective with how you represent your point of view, or trolling. Probably the latter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Well I've taken the chance and booked flights to Lanzarote from Dublin for July 20th to July 28th today. €130 return!!

Obviously had a lot of reservations but actually C19 was a little down the list.

Worries would be will hotel amenities e.g bar, pool buffet breakfast be available?

Will bars ,restaurants and main strip be open and to what extent?

But I figured tourism is Lanzarote's be all and end all so it's in their interests to have things open. They have allowed Spanish tourists in from June 1st and from July international tourists will be allowed in. However it seems they are viewing this on a country by country by basis. So hopefully they realise we aren't in the UK!!

Actually a total bonus would be if we're allowed in and the British weren't!! Total Win Win!! However money talks and I'd say all EU countries plus UK will be allowed back in pretty early in July.

• Advertisement

Well I've taken the chance and booked flights to Lanzarote from Dublin for July 20th to July 28th today. €130 return!!

Obviously had a lot of reservations but actually C19 was a little down the list.

Worries would be will hotel amenities e.g bar, pool buffet breakfast be available?

Will bars ,restaurants and main strip be open and to what extent?

But I figured tourism is Lanzarote's be all and end all so it's in their interests to have things open. They have allowed Spanish tourists in from June 1st and from July international tourists will be allowed in. However it seems they are viewing this on a country by country by basis. So hopefully they realise we aren't in the UK!!

Actually a total bonus would be if we're allowed in and the British weren't!! Total Win Win!! However money talks and I'd say all EU countries plus UK will be allowed back in pretty early in July.

You’ll be fine in July in lanzarote. Bars are already open with 50% outside capacity in some areas in Spain. By end of June they expect to be in the new normal. Not sure how clubs will be though

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

Are you able to understand this , if someone flies to a country with a similiar curve to our own country you are no more likely to get the virus than someone hopping on a stuffy bus from Dublin to Galway.

Ireland's infection rate is pretty high.
    So traveling to most EU countries is actually safer than staying here.

You’re very selective with how you represent your point of view, or trolling. Probably the latter

You are trying to wind me up, right? I really don’t know what your issue is

My god catch yourself on mate,your a prophet of doom , one of these lockdown fanatics

i bet the lockdown fanatics and prophets of doom are seething after today, they probably wanted an extended lockdown.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

you've more chance contracting the virus on a Dublin bus (although the chances are still very slim) than you would on a three quarters empty plane wearing a mask, i for one am looking forward to seeing family who i haven't seen in months when i fly in 2 weeks.

My god catch yourself on mate,your a prophet of doom , one of these lockdown fanatics

My concern is for my family and friends with various underlying issues such as

Chronic Cancer
    Down’s syndrome
    Heart issue
    Asthma
    CF
    ME
    Chronic disease

Maybe just MAYBE you should “catch yourself on mate”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

You’ll be fine in July in lanzarote. Bars are already open with 50% outside capacity in some areas in Spain. By end of June they expect to be in the new normal. Not sure how clubs will be though

Great to hear, thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭acequion

My concern is for my family and friends with various underlying issues such as

Chronic Cancer
    Down’s syndrome
    Heart issue
    Asthma
    CF
    ME
    Chronic disease

Maybe just MAYBE you should “catch yourself on mate”

Your selfishness and complete inability to consider anybody's else's wants or needs is quite breathtaking at this stage.

You obviously think that the world revolves around you and your loved ones with their underlying conditions. Well actually it doesn't.

The sale of alcohol doesn't stop despite the risk to chronic abusers.

The sale of and use of tobacco doesn't stop despite all the health risks.

Road traffic doesn't stop because of all the road fatalities.

In short the world doesn't stop. Vulnerable people have to take responsibility for protecting themselves and not exposing themselves to danger.

And it's the same with Covid now that we have reached this point of containment.

You are both selfish and naive if you expect people to sacrifice their right to travel to protect your loved ones. The fact is they won't. People have their own priorities and their own needs which they quite rightly put first, not to mention all the economic reasons to open up the travel market. But you don't care about any of that, do you?

Keep your loved ones isolated if you think there is still too high a risk of infection.And look in the mirror before you go around calling other people selfish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭HBC08

i bet the lockdown fanatics and prophets of doom are seething after today, they probably wanted an extended lockdown.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

you've more chance contracting the virus on a Dublin bus (although the chances are still very slim) than you would on a three quarters empty plane wearing a mask, i for one am looking forward to seeing family who i haven't seen in months when i fly in 2 weeks.

Where are you getting the plane would be 3/4 empty from? I go to Portugal every September from knock,all the flights are sold out this year.

Won’t be commenting on the obvious trolls post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

If anyone is tempted to travel to Spain in July, as well as the Aer Lingus €128 return flights to Lanzarote, Ryanair have €40 return flights to Menorca on some of their flights in July.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement