Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will you fly/travel in the EU this year if it feels safe to do so? And to where?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You likely have more chance of catching the virus here than in many countries once you are careful in transite, face covering, hand gel etc.

People traveling have
    a) more chance of bringing it to the country they travel to.
    b) more chance of bringing it home with them.

I dont think its a big ask to just stay put in your own country for just one summer to see how the virus pans out.
    Even if there is no vaccine a treatment may work in the next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

JimmyVik wrote: »
    You know. If everyone just went on holidays in their own country for just this one summer it would have a huge impact on this virus and probably save many lives.

From what I've been reading, I think there are many places in Europe that are doing social distancing better than we currently do in Ireland.
    The flight to get there is the biggest risk although mandatory masks on board would go a long way to reduce that.
    For those going abroad by ferry, I don't see there being any difference virus-wise between holidaying abroad and holidaying in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

People traveling have
    a) more chance of bringing it to the country they travel to.
    b) more chance of bringing it home with them.

The above doesn't make any sense Jimmy, it's already in every country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Are people really risking Italy given it was the EU's epicentre?

Florence and Rome have long been on my list, but wouldn't they be a nightmare to go to this year?

Florence and Rome were never any worse than Dublin, although Lombardy and neighbouring regions clearly were.

There may be a window when Rome could be visited when it is still largely free of the hordes of tourists that make it a nightmare in general.

josip wrote: »
    The above doesn't make any sense Jimmy, it's already in every country.

Its lower in some countries than others.
    Some countries have slacker social distancing rules than others.
    And in no way is mass transit going to be safe. People can wear masks and bring hand sanitisers. They are still going to be in a virus rich environment, together will all the other people who are more lax abroad not spreading it.
    Its so easy for people to forego one summer holiday, so we can really make

But I know, they wont. Everyone thinks they are invincible. So people will travel anyway and then the risk of a second wave increases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

We were meant to be in Tenerife in May and Marbella in Sept so have put them to bed and plan on doing 3/4 nights down the country this year and then a fancy holiday next yr with the money we saved. Have no interest in going abroad this yr at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

We've written off holiday to Spain in August but still hoping this year get to UK to see & stay with family and we will likely drive. If not for family in UK I would not consider going abroad until 2021. If I was young no kids though I probably would travel soon as...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Absolutely..going to Germany as soon as it's safe to do.. this island will now encounter a few tough years whereas the larger countries of Europe will rebound much faster..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Its lower in some countries than others.
    Some countries have slacker social distancing rules than others.
    And in no way is mass transit going to be safe. People can wear masks and bring hand sanitisers. They are still going to be in a virus rich environment, together will all the other people who are more lax abroad not spreading it.
    Its so easy for people to forego one summer holiday, so we can really make

But I know, they wont. Everyone thinks they are invincible. So people will travel anyway and then the risk of a second wave increases.

I'd be same. I love to travel and want to do so when it's as safe as possible, but as someone who doesn't go to sit by a pool or beach, but likes city breaks and train travel, I'm not sure how I can have a close to normal experience anytime soon. I'd imagine any culture sites might have reservations now cos of social distancing rules which really ruins any bit of spontaneity or flexibility in what you want to do.

As soon as I can have that, I'm definitely travelling, but the idea of a 4-5 day break where you have to book every restaurant, lunch and trip sounds eurghh to me tbh. Never mind having to rely on mass transport to get around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You know. If everyone just went on holidays in their own country for just this one summer it would have a huge impact on this virus and probably save many lives.
    Then next summer we can look at it again and see if a) there is a vaccine and b)there is at least a treatment for it.

Just one summer in your own country.

If the virus went down to 0 all over Europe etc we’ll still have the same bollox next year. “ oh but lets stay at home and make sure it stays at 0 cases” 0 will never satisfy everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭BobMc

forgot to say in my post its early weeks in August we're booked for Lanza,

as others have said, perhaps staycation, I would but its not value for money, overpriced and chances weather will be absolute crap

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Again , I wonder how this site is that reflective of public thinking out there. The majority I have talked to about this very issue, are in the 2021 camp or are waiting for a vaccine.

Like the poll regarding easing of restrictions, I think we do have a core anti-lockdown vibe contributing to this forum. Without taking sides, I can though entirely appreciate the position of small business owners at this time. I wouldn't have any issues of my taxes increasing to bale them out and allow them in a position to function again as soon as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Then next summer we can look at it again and see if a) there is a vaccine and b)there is at least a treatment for it.

Lol. Care to masquerade your good boy colours there any more subtlety ?

People won’t wait to next year and I don’t blame them. At this stage it’s about people in power enjoying their power trip. 804 deaths were nursing homes to date. You take that away. And people who were over 70/80 that died from the virus who lived at home. Then deduct people with underlying health conditions or any age.

How many are we left with? The fact is that generally fit and healthy people are fine.

Are you going to sit at home for the next 3 years until a vaccine comes? That’s pure idiocy.

Life is short enough without listening to stuttering D4/South Dublin boys brigade every evening on the tv “oh but you mustn’t do that”.

If you’re genuinely fearful. Stay at home, that’s fine, no one is making you go anywhere are they?!! But why have a say about what other people want to do. Stay inside.

If anyone likewise wants to travel let them go ahead. And get tested on re entry to the country or quarantine , whatever.

Otherwise well all be sitting at home for god knows how long. Imagine if people had have stopped travelling when AIDS/HIV broke out? You’d be sitting at home some length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

no plans this year apart from maybe a trip or 2 over to my pals in England

gonna use the money id usually spend on about 10 trips a year to bump up the savings/emigration fund

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Lol. Care to masquerade your good boy colours there any more subtlety ?

People won’t wait to next year and I don’t blame them. At this stage it’s about people in power enjoying their power trip. 804 deaths were nursing homes to date. You take that away. And people who were over 70/80 that died from the virus who lived at home. Then deduct people with underlying health conditions or any age.

How many are we left with? The fact is that generally fit and healthy people are fine.

Are you going to sit at home for the next 3 years until a vaccine comes? That’s pure idiocy.

Life is short enough without listening to stuttering D4/South Dublin boys brigade every evening on the tv “oh but you mustn’t do that”.

If you’re genuinely fearful. Stay at home, that’s fine, no one is making you go anywhere are they?!! But why have a say about what other people want to do. Stay inside.

If anyone likewise wants to travel let them go ahead. And get tested on re entry to the country or quarantine , whatever.

Otherwise well all be sitting at home for god knows how long. Imagine if people had have stopped travelling when AIDS/HIV broke out? You’d be sitting at home some length.

Im not worried about having it myself at all. Its the sick and the old I worry about. I certainly wouldnt want to contribute in any way to the virus making it to them. But thats just me I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Im not worried about having it myself at all. Its the sick and the old I worry about. I certainly wouldnt want to contribute in any way to the virus making it to them. But thats just me I suppose.

Its not just you its the majority of decent people.

We should stand out and clap for you’s tomorrow night.

#HoldFirm

Interestingly, 6 o clock show on virgin media one did their own poll both through the show and on Instagram. Results were basically identical - 84% of Irish people said no they won’t travel on a plane anytime soon.

That’s a complete opposite to the poll on here . Which somebody rightly pointed out earlier isn’t maybe the view of the general public majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Alot of people have had the fear of god put into them over this virus. Terrified to get on with normal life.. Terrified to travel.

Yes people died in ireland,and that's a pity, but the 'surge' never came. Hospitals were empty..

Isolation centres being set up everywhere (citywest) etc with hundreds of hospital beds that were put to no use at all.

I find it shocking that 87% said they wouldn't get on a plane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I find it shocking that 87% said they wouldn't get on a plane...

It was the demographic of people who watch Virgin Media One. I wouldn't give it much credence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Travelling around America for 2 weeks in November. Had a trip to New York cancelled because of the virus already so put that money towards it

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

My bf of 2 years lives in Germany. Our careers in different cities stopped us from closing the distance before now and we both assumed we would eventually make the move to live together. It’s certainly a strange position to be in now - we both fear backlash from family, friends, employers if we travel over the summer but do we wait for a vaccine to see each other?

For most of these 2 years it was cheaper for me to take the 747 bus to the airport and fly with Ryanair than it was for me to fill the car with petrol and drive to my parents house down the country. Those days are long gone I fear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

I dont think its a big ask to just stay put in your own country for just one summer to see how the virus pans out.

Jimmy, I think it's a HUGE ask. For some of us, travelling is a huge part, maybe the main part of our lives. Maybe the only chance to see loved ones in other countries.

A lot has been asked of us already and ok it has been necessary to make the sacrifices, no argument there. But if I learned one thing from this, it's that life is precious and life is damn short. Too short to be miserable by spending a whole year locked in Ireland when it's not completely necessary. I'll certainly appreciate living life to the full when I can again.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Isolation centres being set up everywhere (citywest) etc with hundreds of hospital beds that were put to no use at all.

Yes people died in ireland,and that's a pity, but the 'surge' never came. Hospitals were empty..

It's quite pathetic a stance to take. I wonder if you would come out with the extract opposite if the surge did come and tight citywest facility overflowed.

The surge didn't occur because fairly draconian measures were put in place (for the most part). The health service got organised and people distanced from one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

It's gas reading some of the replies on here. You'd swear Ireland was the size of the Isle of Man the way people talk about being stuck at home. It's not 25 years ago that most ordinary people couldn't afford to fly abroad. We went to Connemara and Kerry and Wexford and wherever else for our holidays. I know that these days it's as expensive to stay at home as to go abroad, but I'm just saying we have plenty on our own doorstep. 11 million visitors agreed with that last year. I mean, I've been to probably 20 different countries, but I've never visited Wicklow. I probably haven't seen half of Ireland properly, if I'm honest.

It's fair enough that people want to travel, most of us do, I had a trip home to Ireland cancelled because of this sh*te and I'm raging, but the whole attitude of "I don't care, I won't get sick/I can't live my life stuck in the house" etc so that they can have their sun holiday this summer is pretty risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No. I wouldn't be nervous. If you're going to get it, you'll get it.
    I just haven't any interest this year. Was in Florence in November and that'll do me for a bit. Day trips in Ireland this year are the thing for me.

It's gas reading some of the replies on here. You'd swear Ireland was the size of the Isle of Man the way people talk about being stuck at home. It's not 25 years ago that most ordinary people couldn't afford to fly abroad. We went to Connemara and Kerry and Wexford and wherever else for our holidays. I know that these days it's as expensive to stay at home as to go abroad, but I'm just saying we have plenty on our own doorstep. 11 million visitors agreed with that last year. I mean, I've been to probably 20 different countries, but I've never visited Wicklow. I probably haven't seen half of Ireland properly, if I'm honest.

It's fair enough that people want to travel, most of us do, I had a trip home to Ireland cancelled because of this sh*te and I'm raging, but the whole attitude of "I don't care, I won't get sick/I can't live my life stuck in the house" etc so that they can have their sun holiday this summer is pretty risky.

But everything, all our taken for granted liberties, are risky when you think about it. Browsing the shops is risky, getting your hair done is risky, meeting up with friends is risky. In fact all of life's pleasures are risky.

But there's no avoiding those risks unless we're going to stay locked down forever and that's just not sustainable or desirable.

And yes there are indeed some gorgeous spots in Ireland. And in the weather we're having at the moment few places on earth more stunning. And nothing like a voyage of discovery of our emerald isle. Just don't force it on us!:pac:

if i get a chance to get to Portugal/Northern Spain/South France or maybe Dalmatian coast I'll be gone like a flash

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Albert12

My wife and I were due to go to the rugby in Paris in March but AL allowed us to rebook and we chose last weekend in Sept hoping the pandemic would have passed. Not getting our hopes up on going. More concerned on our 2021 summer hol to southern France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Thailand in November and will travel other places as soon as allowed! i aint young but yolo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You likely have more chance of catching the virus here than in many countries once you are careful in transite, face covering, hand gel etc.

Now that's some grade a level waffle. With no basis in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Being realistic I doubt I'll be taking any foreign trips until at least the winter. Had a trip to visit in laws in Florida in July but postponed that till next spring. Had a few glorious sunny days in early February in Valletta, would have enjoyed it even more if I knew what was coming. I love travelling but in the short to medium term I'll err on the side of caution and hopefully get away here for a break in September, have been watching the series about the Burren on TG4 and that's whetted my appetite to go back there. Maybe by then if all is going well we I can start planning for something further afield. Italy is always top of the list.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Booked travel to my usual spot in Spain for early July. (I have a property there). Local hospital there hasn’t had a case of Coronavirus since May 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

I will definitely fly out to somewhere in Europe around October if there hasnt been a signifigant second surge..have to say the prices on booking.com for Irish accomodation are doing nothing to change my mind.

People on here banging on about “spend one summer in Ireland”. Check booking.com and the others for hotels in Ireland after 10th August when they’re meant to re open. Laughable.

Why would you spend €200 a night in a hotel down the country when you could jet off somewhere and stay in a nicer accommodation for the same , maybe less? And the weather is guaranteed abroad. If it lashes rain here the only thing to do is pub it up. Still plenty to do abroad if it lashed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Canaries or Balearic islands when the schools go back....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see Harris is doing his best trying to get around the “tricky legal” about mandatory 14 day quarantine. “ working on proposals with the cabinet”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Hope to fly to Canada in august if possible

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see Harris is doing his best trying to get around the “tricky legal” about mandatory 14 day quarantine. “ working on proposals with the cabinet”

He’ll do f*ck all the weasel. Completely overstepping his mandate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Was lucky this year, still can't believe it.
    Had a sun holiday in January, went to Zanzibar and then skiing the week before lockdown started in France.
    If the weather stays like this I'll be happy with a week down in Rosslare. I'll have so many annual leave days to carry for next year, lets hope things are back to normal then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

CBear1993 wrote: »
    People on here banging on about “spend one summer in Ireland”. Check booking.com and the others for hotels in Ireland after 10th August when they’re meant to re open. Laughable.

Why would you spend €200 a night in a hotel down the country when you could jet off somewhere and stay in a nicer accommodation for the same , maybe less? And the weather is guaranteed abroad. If it lashes rain here the only thing to do is pub it up. Still plenty to do abroad if it lashed

Got an email from Lidl Breaks re Ireland August holidays - prices are laughable!

Unfortunately my father in law is very ill - only reason I haven't already booked a couple of weeks for the family in the Canaries in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,925 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

but a week in dublin will cost a hell of a lot more than spain, same with most
    places here

Was lucky this year, still can't believe it.
    Had a sun holiday in January, went to Zanzibar and then skiing the week before lockdown started in France.
    If the weather stays like this I'll be happy with a week down in Rosslare. I'll have so many annual leave days to carry for next year, lets hope things are back to normal then.

You are indeed very lucky. For many,I'd say the majority, travel doesn't start until the spring, which is exactly when the virus struck. So the idea of being locked in for the whole year would be awful.

I'd be feeling exactly like you if I had a lot of my wandering already done. But I had booked for Easter, then June and then though thankfully not yet booked, a good few more trips up to October. And then happy to winter at home.

So am feeling already very caged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,925 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Got an email from Lidl Breaks re Ireland August holidays - prices are laughable!

prepare to be ripped off everyone!

I've gran canaria booked for mid Aug so I'm pretty hopeful we'll get that flight.
    I'd lose what I paid for the hotel so I'm very eager it goes ahead.

I'd take the money and rebook for dec just for piece of mind if that were an option but like most here I just want a break, want to be fed, have a few drinks, to leave the housework behind which you can get here also at a much higher price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Jeffm587

Due to go to France Mid August, the region is very rural and in France's Green zone and its our own place we will be staying in so no issues around that. If Irish Ferries have the WB Yeats on the crossing by then (its due to change back to France from Holyhead route June 10th I think) and if France lift the 100k travel limit by then which I certainly think they will, then we are all agreed we should go. Only thing that may stop us is where we are on self isolation / quarantine by the time we return in late August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Unfortunately my father in law is very ill - only reason I haven't already booked a couple of weeks for the family in the Canaries in August.

Ive had a few from hotels in July - however none can say if their bar will be open. Probably won't but why would you go to a hotel and have to sit in the bedroom all night! Could do that at home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Mr.S wrote: »
    Because we implemented strict social distancing rules and closed down most non-essential services and shops........... better to be over-prepared then under, no?!

I think it's normal that people are hesitant to get back on a plane. We've all seen the videos from hospitals in Italy and Spain, no one wants to experience that and people are naturally a bit spooked.

Life will go back to normal, but I'd say most people will be skipping any major travel in 2020.

Yes, I'm not trying to undermine the measures put in place.

Im trying to say, it has worked, we deserve to move on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd be same. I love to travel and want to do so when it's as safe as possible, but as someone who doesn't go to sit by a pool or beach, but likes city breaks and train travel, I'm not sure how I can have a close to normal experience anytime soon. I'd imagine any culture sites might have reservations now cos of social distancing rules which really ruins any bit of spontaneity or flexibility in what you want to do.

As soon as I can have that, I'm definitely travelling, but the idea of a 4-5 day break where you have to book every restaurant, lunch and trip sounds eurghh to me tbh. Never mind having to rely on mass transport to get around the place.
    I could have written this word by word. Most of my travels have been city breaks, many by train, and with spontaneous choice of cafès, restaurants, museum/sight visits.
    Having to book ahead every single step of the trip is not what travelling for me is about.
    I will still travel to visit family and friends, but I do not plan anything else rather than that, for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Jeffm587 wrote: »
    and if France lift the 100k travel limit by then

Some good news for you, France is lifting the 100k travel limit next week!
    https://www.thelocal.fr/20200528/france-scraps-its-100km-rule-for-travel-within-the-country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

As someone with an underlying condition there's no way I'd risk it this year.

If I was young and healthy I might.

But the thing only one other person has mentioned here is insurance. Be sure folks that without a doubt NO insurance company will cover you for anything Covid related.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement