Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Draft 2020 - Current Premier League - Signup Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Thought there was a slim chance Vieira could fall. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

Am I right in saying the “legends” are only available in this round?

daithi1989 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying the “legends” are only available in this round?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Had planned on a CF all along for the legends round with RVP, Drogba and Rooney my choices in that order but just couldnt pass on Bale. Thought he'd be a top 3 pick tbh

Had planned on a CF all along for the legends round with RVP, Drogba and Rooney my choices in that order but just couldnt pass on Bale. Thought he'd be a top 3 pick tbh

The fact Giggs wasn't picked was surprising given the stipulation of the draft being the whole PL career would be included. Gerrard not picked either.

I don't think Bale comes close to either of them really but I did give him serious consideration.

I wanted Vieira but I don't think I'm lacking with Scholes...

• Advertisement

Gerrard was picked.

Gerrard was picked.

Did a scroll before it and missed it due to the lack of picture :p

I was also very close to taking Rio Ferdinand. I think he may have looked more impressive on paper beside Maguire than Scholes would beside AOC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah the legends round was strange with some huge players not being picked but I think everyone by now has probably been left with a choice at some stage of going with the 'value' pick or going with someone who they think will fit their team. It's been enjoyable so far, next few rounds will be really tricky with the quality starting to dip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I was planning on bale/hazard with a centre forward. I considered giggs but think the other options reached a higher peak performance. Particularly in the modern formations with wingers as inside forwards I don't think you get enough from picking giggs.

I considered Torres too but thought his Chelsea form be held against him.

I'd also rate Rooney higher than RVP and Drogba so to get him as last pick had a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I considered Bale for my pick, but I really wanted a quality back four from the start and I knew I’d get almost certainly get Terry in the special round based on the order.

He’s a great pick though, I also expected him to go earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I was between Terry and Gerrard myself. My defense is going to be the strongest weakest defence on paper the world has ever seen :pac:

Had my eye on Willian, very good value at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Before I make my pick I want to check something.

Player I'm thinking about is under contract at a Premier League club currently, but has signed a pre-contract agreement with a club in a different country. He'll join this new club in June when his current contract ends.

Eligible or not?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Before I make my pick I want to check something.

Player I'm thinking about is under contract at a Premier League club currently, but has signed a pre-contract agreement with a club in a different country. He'll join this new club in June when his current contract ends.

Eligible or not?

I ain't in charge but I'd have no problem with the pick. He is currently a premier league player and the thread title says "Current Premier League"

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sane was selected to no objection and hes in the same scenario so dont see an issue.

As above, they are currently a PL player.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭wrestlemaniac

No objections here either, well within the rules I think

What I thought makes it borderline is that while he's still currently on the books of a Premier League club until June, he's presently on loan at the club in the other country he'll be moving to. Wiki says he's been there since the January transfer window of last year.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Loans are allowed (see Sanchez) so once again I see it as within the rules.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Loans are allowed (see Sanchez) so once again I see it as within the rules.

I've a feeling MNG has found a sneaky sneaky great pick but yeah if Sanchez is eligible I think there is nothing stopping this pick

Genuinely have no idea who this could be! No problem with it either though.

• Advertisement

Right so, I'll make the pick as I don't want to hold things up further. Hopefully it won't backfire. :pac:

The only stipulation in the opening post appears to be that they've played a minute in the PL this season. Though I'd imagine it's implied they are on the books too.

Liam O wrote: »
    The only stipulation in the opening post appears to be that they've played a minute in the PL this season. Though I'd imagine it's implied they are on the books too.

I figured the pick of Alexis means they don't have to have played this season?

Edit: Just made the pick. I can alter it if it's deemed to be pushing the boundaries too much.

I figured the pick of Alexis means they don't have to have played this season?

Edit: Just made the pick. I can alter it if it's deemed to be pushing the boundaries too much.

Had him on my list too, with the idea of moving Rashford out onto the wing, or playing 4-4-2. Think he's similar to Sanchez pick.

Great pick for R7 considering his goal scoring qualities!

Defoe is a great catch, didnt realise he was on loan still!

Honestly didn't have him on my list and think that is a super smart pick

Defoe is a great pick at this stage MNG, I see nothing wrong with the pick either.

And this from the man who chose Sanchez with giving it a second thought!

Better to ask forgiveness than permission :)

Considering one of the rules listed is “played in the league this season”, and then players out on loan also count.. Are players who transferred out of the league in Jan Transfer Window allowed? Player I’m thinking about played 20 times this season before moving on.

Considering one of the rules listed is “played in the league this season”, and then players out on loan also count.. Are players who transferred out of the league in Jan Transfer Window allowed? Player I’m thinking about played 20 times this season before moving on.

I wish all these questions were answered before haha but I'd have picked who you are talking about I think about 3 rounds ago if that was allowed so I think we should draw a line there?

• Advertisement

Can of worms truly opened in round 7 :eek:

My understanding of the game (not that I clearly read the rules obviously) was current premier league players, ie. registered with the club as of now.

Think I know who you are on about and was going to pick him earlier but didn't think he qualified.

Can of worms truly opened in round 7 :eek:

My understanding of the game (not that I clearly read the rules obviously) was current premier league players, ie. registered with the club as of now.

Think I know who you are on about and was going to pick him earlier but didn't think he qualified.

Same I just assumed it was any player who is registered with a PL club right now. I think it would be a step too far allowing players who moved in January unfortunately.

Thats’s no hassle - I’ll go with my other option!

Without asking, I’d have been annoyed had someone else picked him after!

Sorry about the delay but pick up and pm sent, happy to add a quality FB finally to team BH

Had a toss up between Baines and Chilwell when drafting Baines, and couldn’t believe it’s taken this long for Chilwell to go! Great draft this far in. Some defense built by BH there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Happy enough to have an england international still available to me in a problem position

• Advertisement

Marty that's a great pick in Pedro

Marty that's a great pick in Pedro

Only drawback is that it’s more obvious what kind of players I’m after in the last few rounds, but I knew Pedro wouldn’t slip any further than round 9. Very happy with him, nearly took him in the last round.

On my phone, will put up my pick as soon as I get to a computer, until then I am just trying to evaluate how much people will judge based on ability and how much on what they have shown in the Prem. If a clearly talented player hasn't worked out at a club will he be deemed crap in this draft I wonder.

I for one will be judging all the players on their peak Premier league ability (whenever that was) and how this peak fits in with the overall set up of the team.

I for one will be judging all the players on their peak Premier league ability (whenever that was) and how this peak fits in with the overall set up of the team.

Same here. If a player preformed well outside the EPL but was crap in it then its based on that eg Veron at Utd/Chelsea not Italy

• Advertisement

If his performances in the PL didn't showcase his talent then I would not view them favourably, for example if Di Maria or Falcao were picked in the draft I don't think I would rate them very highly despite knowing they were both very talented players. I will likewise judge them on peak PL performances but if someone had a longer peak than another that will be a huge bonus, otherwise you could pick lads who had a good 4 week spell and say that was their peak.

I think peak PL but consideration given to longevity is important. There are some players who have looked good, but maybe only for a season or so but if someone had a slightly lower peak performance but was consistently good over 5 seasons it's something that should trump a single season of play that may be above that level.

Had a feeling that was the case and tbh was thinking the same myself, hence me picking someone that really that discussion isn't all that relevant for.

PM sent and only 3 gaps to fill on team BH

If his performances in the PL didn't showcase his talent then I would not view them favourably, for example if Di Maria or Falcao were picked in the draft I don't think I would rate them very highly despite knowing they were both very talented players. I will likewise judge them on peak PL performances but if someone had a longer peak than another that will be a huge bonus, otherwise you could pick lads who had a good 4 week spell and say that was their peak.

Somebody like James Milner ? Absolutely why he was my first pick. Glad to see I have your vote.

Great movie btw. :pac:

Somebody like James Milner ? Absolutely why he was my first pick. Glad to see I have your vote.

Great movie btw. :pac:

To be honest the Milner pick didn't seem incredibly out of place. Not one I'd have made but I'd rate him higher than a lot of early enough midfielders taken as I think he was really good at City and maintained that in difficult circumstances at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Sorry about the confusion lads pick sorted anyway

Liam O wrote: »
    To be honest the Milner pick didn't seem incredibly out of place. Not one I'd have made but I'd rate him higher than a lot of early enough midfielders taken as I think he was really good at City and maintained that in difficult circumstances at Liverpool.

Honestly he would have been a high enough pick for me but definitely not first had I known

Yeah I'm a big fan of Jimmy Milner who obviously peaked while at Aston Villa :pac: Don't think he would have been my 1st round choice but he would have went early enough and deservedly so after a great premiership career

Yeah same with Milner, I was surprised to see him go in the first round in fairness but he is a good pick, has had some career, very consistent at a high level, won big trophies and provides versatility too.

What happens when all of the teams are picked? We aren't doing a draw with individual matches this time, is it just everyone posts up their team and reasons/tactics and then we all vote for which one we think are best or how will it work?

3rd time lucky Daithi?

• Advertisement
Advertisement