Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel to UK and have to self isolate for 2 weeks UK?

Options
  • 03-05-2020 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-flights-ferries-tests-heathrow-airport-a9484616.html

I've a flight to the UK end of May to visit family who i haven't seen in ages, to date it hasn't been cancelled, i seen this article and was quite shocked at the thought of having to self isolate upon arrival for 2 weeks but a snippet from the article below says travel within the common travel area wouldn't require someone to quarantine, has anyone travelled to the UK recently. was anything said when you arrived to go through UK border security?Was anything said on your arrival back to Ireland?

Would travellers from the Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland be obliged to quarantine?
    These places are, along with the UK, members of the Common Travel Area – a passport-free zone. One scenario is that the 14-day rule would apply to the entire Common Travel Area, and that travel within it would not require quarantine.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

From the article "At present there are no health checks on arriving passengers."

It's impossible to tell you how things will be in a months time when we have nothing to go on but a newspaper article :)

At the moment there is no change or checks though I really don't see the point in quarantining everyone except Common Travel Area visitors. I would have thought that it was an everyone or nothing scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭HBC08

A mate of mine went last week and is front line NHS,wasnt requested to self isolate and straight into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/passengers-arriving-in-ireland-will-be-checked-to-ensure-they-self-isolate-1.4236055%3fmode=amp

Depending on how this pans out you may also have to factor in 2 weeks self isolation when you return to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Would a way round this be if you were to fly back from England to Belfast and just travelled down to Dublin?

HBC08 wrote: »
    A mate of mine went last week and is front line NHS,wasnt requested to self isolate and straight into work.

was he asked any questions?given he works for the NHS likely he would be ok but for anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Would a way round this be if you were to fly back from England to Belfast and just travelled down to Dublin?

No one is going to be guarding the house watching to see if you are in isolation so I don't see how there is a way round being honest except being dishonest?

GinSoaked wrote: »
    No one is going to be guarding the house watching to see if you are in isolation so I don't see how there is a way round being honest except being dishonest?

i know but they fact that they might pay a visit and if you didnt happen to be at home you might get into some trouble?

i know but they fact that they might pay a visit and if you didnt happen to be at home you might get into some trouble?

I have a relative in the UK that could do with support, if I go there I can kiss goodbye to 4 weeks self isolation in total and 2 weeks isolation in the UK would defeat the point of going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Does the self isolation rule appply to the whole of the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The UK has the highest number of COVID19 deaths in Europe. You’d be incredibly selfish if you didn’t self isolate when you return.

• Advertisement

Does the self isolation rule appply to the whole of the UK?

There is no 'rule' or law. This is so far speculation as to what may happen.

After seeing those images of the full Aer Lingus flight from Belfast to London doesnt give you much hope when it comes to flying, what about the ferry , you could social distance on that as it's so big.

After seeing those images of the full Aer Lingus flight from Belfast to London doesnt give you much hope when it comes to flying, what about the ferry , you could social distance on that as it's so big.

Tuesday and Wednesday night sailings from Rosslare are normally virtually empty maybe 40 cars on a really busy night easy to social distance, but I suspect most sailings are like that with the current environment.

Tuesday and Wednesday night sailings from Rosslare are normally virtually empty maybe 40 cars on a really busy night easy to social distance, but I suspect most sailings are like that with the current environment.

i assume Dublin post is the same.

i assume Dublin post is the same.

Can't say suspect it is busier. To put some context on the 40 cars I might see on a Wednesday night travelling to the UK....MV Isle of Inishmore ferry is a Ro-Ro passenger vessel owned and operated by the company IRISH FERRIES. The ship has a max capacity of 2200 passengers, 856 cars (or 122 lorries).... be suprised if I see as many as 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if you travel over in your car with a caravan hitched up to the back you'll be grand, no self isolation or questions asked

this is good news indeed but i notice bungling Boris never mentioned anything about Ireland specifically,mind you there was a lot of things he never mentioned in that disastrous speech last night, jaysus our politicians are bad but they are just the absolute worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

We are booked to travel to Germany by car in early July.
    Ferry to the UK, followed by Tunnel to France.
    We don't decide until closer to the date if we will travel or not, but as things stand what restrictions would we face on such a journey?

The ones that I'm aware of are:
    1. Only essential transit travel allowed in France
    2. Germany requires all entrants to the country to self quarantine for 2 weeks.
    As regards 1, Macron has said something that quarantine will not apply to people coming from the UK, but I don't know if that's just a political comfort and what timescales he had in mind.

Suggested UK quarantine requirements have only been mentioned in the context of air travel and I haven't seen anything mentioned about arriving by ferry/tunnel.

Is anyone in a similar position or have a crystal ball that lets them look beyond mid June to see what's possible/likely ?

@ josip, don't forget to plan for the journey back which could entail a whole different set of rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

@ josip, don't forget to plan for the journey back which could entail a whole different set of rules?

Yes, we were thinking about that too and rules might be based on all the countries you've been in in recent weeks, rather than just the country you're entering from.
    And those lists will be dynamic and changing from week to week probably.

this is good news indeed but i notice bungling Boris never mentioned anything about Ireland specifically

Then you'd have all of the tabloids going crazy about the 1949 Act of Ireland law :)

s. 2(1) – Declared that, even though the Republic of Ireland was no longer a British dominion, it would not be treated as a foreign country for the purposes of British law.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

there is a reason for this self quarantine yet it seems that most posters on this thread are looking for ways around it.
    as one posted above said........ selfish. personally i would say that poster was being polite

Seve OB wrote: »
    there is a reason for this self quarantine yet it seems that most posters on this thread are looking for ways around it.
    as one posted above said........ selfish. personally i would say that poster was being polite

I agree, but I really can't decide if I should report a neighbor who has just come back from the UK and isn't isolating.

Advertisement