Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football & Coronavirus [READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST - updated 06-05-20]

• 10-03-2020 9:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mod note: 23-04-2020
    mods wrote:
    Ok, the thread is open on condition that this is in the common interests of soccer to discuss what happens next. Any sniping or trolling or tribalism will be met with a no questions asked removal of posting rights.

Normal totting up rules no longer apply in this thread, bans will be instant.

Following discussion with the mod team the following users are threadbanned:

brinty
    T.Hanks
    RasTa

Threadbanned users posting further in this thread will result in a permanent soccer forum ban

06-05-20: MD1990 ban lifted.

Football is now getting impacted significantly so best to have a separate topic

Serie A postponed until April, champions league match PSG and Dortmund to be played behind doors.

How will the seasons get completed? Lots of unknowns at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Euroes have not been mentioned much in the media but if leagues are being postponed plus its very format this year must mean it's under threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Cost benefit analysis by UEFA. How much money can we make v how many people have to die.

I don't understand why some places are making the distinction between open air events and enclosed ones. If someone sneezes on you I can't imagine it matters if you're out in a field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Can see the whole summer being a write off from a tourism POV, so fully expect Euro 2020 to be impacted significantly, put it this way how can it not be? Its only a few months away & its clear this is a world wide issue that is not going to be resolved in the next 5 or 6 weeks.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The Euroes have not been mentioned much in the media but if leagues are being postponed plus its very format this year must mean it's under threat.

I think like the Olympics they will wait til last moment to decide. Too much money involved to make a decision at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Unearthly wrote: »
    I think like the Olympics they will wait til last moment to decide. Too much money involved to make a decision at this stage.

Thought they had to make a decision before the end of April?

• Advertisement

Thought they had to make a decision before the end of April?

Link? The current affairs topic + reddit forum are moving way too fast that I have missed out on information. Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I head someone mention this morning that it could be postponed until summer 2021.

Barcelona and Napoli Champions league match March 18th to be played with no crowd

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/10/barcelona-to-play-napoli-behind-closed-doors-amid-coronavirus-fears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Unearthly wrote: »
    Barcelona and Napoli Champions league match March 18th to be played with no crowd

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/10/barcelona-to-play-napoli-behind-closed-doors-amid-coronavirus-fears

Bayern's vs chelsea may be the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Cost benefit analysis by UEFA. How much money can we make v how many people have to die.

I don't understand why some places are making the distinction between open air events and enclosed ones. If someone sneezes on you I can't imagine it matters if you're out in a field.

You don't see the difference between an open air event, vs. an inside event with recirculated air that everyone will breathe in? Really??

I mean, yes, you can get sick at both, but the risk profile is completely different, unless you're one of those "Any risk isn't worth it!" people, in which case a solitary life in cotton wool is for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah I just kind of get the "smoking is good for you vibe" that doctors used to tell people in the fifties.
    40,000 people together has to be a significant risk factor, it may be a greater risk indoors but that doesn't change the fact this is a highly infectious disease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I'm quite worried about leagues like our own, where some clubs rely on gate income to keep the lights on every week. Suspending leagues or closed door games could see teams go bust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lot of lower league clubs in england & around Europe could go under.
    LOI clubs will be under huge pressure as well

Euro's has to be cancelled & this season finished when possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Pedro K wrote: »
    I'm quite worried about leagues like our own, where some clubs rely on gate income to keep the lights on every week. Suspending leagues or closed door games could see teams go bust.
    Absolutely.

For leagues like the EPL, the tv money dwarfs the gate money, but in LOI, it's a huge chunk of it. And apart from Maybe Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers, the clubs will have no reserve to fall back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I posted this in the General PL thread but it's more at home here:
    Parking the idea of whether football without fans actually matters, there's some huge decisions that need to be taken and soon. We are all aware of the public health perspective so I don't need to mention it but the conversation on Twitter has moved towards income loss and it is an interesting one.

Big PL teams are fine - match day revenues don't matter much in the grand scheme of it (vs tv money for example) but mid level football league clubs would go under if you just removed half a dozen home games from them between now and May (presuming it's resolved by the start of next season, that is. If it went on longer, even bigger clubs could go under too)

But then you've got the competition side of things. Say they parked it now and decided to start again in August, who do you relegate or promote? Nobody? Okay, good luck with the lawsuits from Leeds, West Brom, etc who would have a very valid argument to make that they were deprived of a legitimate chance of promotion (same further down the leagues too, I'm sure)

That's before you even factor in Liverpool and the title, the Champions League race (both this seasons competition and the battle for the top four for next season) and so on.

You'd be talking massive potential suits there in many instances. And while I'm sure the FA, football league and Premier league could all point to a government directive if one is issued, if it isn't, there'd be a huge blowback.

For me, the logical decision is to play behind closed doors to prevent spread but to also see out competitions. And then hold off starting new ones until the situation is safe after the fact. Of course it's not ideal but the alternative strikes me as a major mess.

Precautions need to be taken to protect playing and coaching staff, but that's the same as any other workplace.

playing behind closed doors is fine.

But the chances of a player not getting the virus are very slim over the next 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

MD1990 wrote: »
    Lot of lower league clubs in england & around Europe could go under.
    LOI clubs will be under huge pressure as well

Euro's has to be cancelled & this season finished when possible.

This.
    Put Euros back to next summer and allow leagues to play on into June/July if necessary.

poolboy wrote: »
    This.
    Put Euros back to next summer and allow leagues to play on into June/July if necessary.

Problem is that some models have the peak occurring in Ireland/UK around summer time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

DvB wrote: »
    Can see the whole summer being a write off from a tourism POV, so fully expect Euro 2020 to be impacted significantly, put it this way how can it not be? Its only a few months away & its clear this is a world wide issue that is not going to be resolved in the next 5 or 6 weeks.

do you wait for two years for a vaccine?

If there is a drop in infections during Summer, does it re-appear next Winter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pedro K wrote: »
    Teams will have budgeted for European money as well. If there's a disruption to CL/EL next season it could put them in serious trouble.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

According to Tuttosport all the European Football associations are lobbying with UEFA to postpone the European Championship to 2021, so that they can stop the leagues now and move the leagues to finish later in the summer this year after a break.

While a lot of Games could be played without fans there are a lot of clubs (outside of the CL teams obviously) that would probably go against the wall without the gate money otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The leagues will be played out behind closed doors which is disastrous for lower league sides. I can see the CL been scrapped, a number of countries are going to be on lockdown in a couple weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Seems the Nottingham Forest owner has it, and was apparently at their game last Friday. Assuming he met the players, theyd surely be at risk.

Mushy wrote: »
    Seems the Nottingham Forest owner has it, and was apparently at their game last Friday. Assuming he met the players, theyd surely be at risk.

According to (Forrest fan) Daniel Storey on twitter he met with the players last Friday.

The Olympiacos (who he also owns) squad are currently undergoing tests for the virus.

He was also at the Emirates for the Europa League game two weeks ago. The Olympiacos v Wolves game is now in doubt.

Not sure why the EL game should be stopped because of the owner, he isn't playing and the Olympiacos squad (if fit) will not be kissing Wolves players (much), just keep them separate off the field.

Not sure why the EL game should be stopped because of the owner, he isn't playing and the Olympiacos squad (if fit) will not be kissing Wolves players (much), just keep them separate off the field.

As I said above, the Olympiacos players are currently undergoing testing. He's an owner who likes to go into the dressing room. Wolves have actually asked UEFA to postpone the game.

https://twitter.com/Matt_Law_DT/status/1237349376357478400

I see he also had pix taken with fans at Forest. Oh boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

A bit of perspective for those upset they won't get to see their team on the TV. behind closed doors games or professionals not being able to play isn't the end of the world. I work as a full time coach in a club based solely in youth football and due to a directive of the local sports Council we've had to suspend all activity.

We're just short of going bust now as we need to refund for the terms and I need to either take a sizeable paycut or terminate. But every club here is in the same position so it's looking like a pay cut. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd say we are about a week away from closed doors if the British government are smart enough.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'd say we are about a week away from closed doors if the British government are smart enough.

I think leagues will be suspended.

Fores owner has it. Wont be long before some players get it

I thought we had two weeks at the weekend (basically long enough to win the league ;) ) but I'd not be surprised by an announcement by the end of the working week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I thought we had two weeks at the weekend (basically long enough to win the league ;) ) but I'd not be surprised by an announcement by the end of the working week.

Tactical FA Cup exit to make sure the Palace game took place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Mars Bar wrote: »
    A bit of perspective for those upset they won't get to see their team on the TV. behind closed doors games or professionals not being able to play isn't the end of the world. I work as a full time coach in a club based solely in youth football and due to a directive of the local sports Council we've had to suspend all activity.

We're just short of going bust now as we need to refund for the terms and I need to either take a sizeable paycut or terminate. But every club here is in the same position so it's looking like a pay cut. :(

The British government are calling a meeting with the PL and Broadcasters BT and Sky about showing all games on tv if they go behind closed doors to fans

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Did you ever watch how much spit flies about a football pitch involuntarily. It's remarkable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The British government are calling a meeting with the PL and Broadcasters BT and Sky about showing all games on tv if they go behind closed doors to fans
    Apparantly the counter argumenr to that is a lot of the 1000s of people who can't go to the game will congregate in crowded pubs anyway so it defeats the purpose to an extent. Obviously there wont be pubs with 40k people in them or 1000s on trains but who knows.

Apparantly the counter argumenr to that is a lot of the 1000s of people who can't go to the game will congregate in crowded pubs anyway so it defeats the purpose to an extent. Obviously there wont be pubs with 40k people in them or 1000s on trains but who knows.

There's talks of making the games FTA in the UK.

If it were to happen, it could be the straw that breaks the back of the stupid 3pm blackout law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This could be a disaster. We need to round up all footballers and put them on an island in the south Pacific so they can play out the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

With the world cup taking place in december in 2022 and this really taking hold. It might be an idea to have the next couple of seasons done in a calender year format. As in September to November this year finish off this season. Then for 2021 and 2022 run the season from Jan till Nov with a bit of a break in the Summer. After the world cup start looking at getting it back to normal season. Thats assuming this thing ends up being as bad as its looking it might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The Italian football federation (FIGC) said after a meeting on Tuesday that the Serie A season may not finish because of the coronavirus outbreak.

FIGC president Gabriele Gravina also put forward alternative options if the season can not be concluded.

They include staging play-offs, not having a champion for 2019-20 or declaring the current standings final.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51824172

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Slightly related, but the Austrian ice hockey league have just ended their season following a national spectator ban today.. they were down to the final sets of games, would have similar attendances to Ireland per match, it's a shock tbh

https://twitter.com/adriandelmonte/status/1237439497987657728
    BREAKING: Several European federations ask UEFA to postpone EURO 2020 until 2021, in order to complete their respective championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As sad as it will be to see the likes of the Euro's cancelled, I'll not shed too many tears for the super rich clubs. They'll survive.

I fear for local soccer though. If they have to play behind closed doors, or have the league cancelled, it could be the end for some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

If it has to be done, it has to be done. It is only football at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Euro 2020 has to be certainty to be cancelled. If this virus did die down by May and the tournament was held in only one country there still could be a chance of it going ahead but the one time they decide to host it in 12 countries surely kills it off until summer 2021

Wolves game will carry on but behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Getafe refusing to travel to Milan.

Cant say I blame them tbh

https://en.as.com/en/2020/03/10/football/1583880491_211241.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

City - Arsenal game off ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You get the feeling it is all starting to kick off in football at present, and by extension a lot of other sports are going to suffer big time.

Now that an EPL game has been cancelled, the floodgates will open I think.

We will p1ss about with games behind closed doors, but once a certain number of players around Europe catch it, it more or less makes a handful of their team-mates prime candidates to go next. Eventually we will have teams unable to fulfill fixtures and it will spiral.

Many experts reckon that this virus could be at its peak in May/June, I'd say the Euros are likely to get hit. Are they going to play all the games behind closed doors? Doubt it.

This next few weeks will be massive for the sporting world. PEople will realise its only sport and will stop going to events, forcing cancellations.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement