Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

If that is true they should pick him anyway and fine him for not doing his job if he doesn't want to play.

Where was he v City anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Tweet from @Sport_Witness: Ashley Young | Inter hope to have Man United player in their stands on Saturday – Transfer rush being made, but they don't want to pay a fee.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/italy-lukaku-convinced-young-join-inter-six-month-deal-place-manchester-united-stalling-player-determined-leave/

If they don't want to pay a fee and he's refusing selection then he should be left sign the pre contract and finish out his career in the reserves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

”Manchester United star Ashley Young is reportedly refusing to play for the club ever again“

Disgraceful carry on

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/01/09/ashley-young-man-united-transfer-request-to-solskjaer/?utm_source=rsn&utm_medium=rsn&utm_campaign=gac0058

Lukaku, Fellaini, maybe Herrera, now Young, why are so many experienced players, some of our most dedicated in recent years, failing to buy into project Ole?

aEzvOlL.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If true, that’s massively disappointing of Young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

sjb25 wrote: »
    ”Manchester United star Ashley Young is reportedly refusing to play for the club ever again“

Disgraceful carry on

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2020/01/09/ashley-young-man-united-transfer-request-to-solskjaer/?utm_source=rsn&utm_medium=rsn&utm_campaign=gac0058

It's not as if he's starting every week anyway. If he wants a move,let him off.
    Can't blame a player who saw the team decline so much wanting a change, especially at his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

It's not as if he's starting every week anyway. If he wants a move,let him off.
    Can't blame a player who saw the team decline so much wanting a change, especially at his age.

Fair enough let him on if he wants to go but if true trowing his rattles out and refusing to play is not on my opinion anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Or just let him go.

Club fùcked it again really. If Young was really wanted then extend his contract before now. With 6 months left we have very little say.

But like Herrera they left it too late to convince him he was wanted. (PSG's offer was then insane).

He can get more regular time in Italy then good luck to him. Probably thought Evra got more years added to his career when he went to Italy aswell so why not try it himself.

Lukaku, Fellaini, maybe Herrera, now Young, why are so many experienced players, some of our most dedicated in recent years, failing to buy into project Ole?

aEzvOlL.jpg?1

And those 3 would walk into our team at the moment even Young has prob been better than Shaw.

It'll be a worry if ambitious teams show interest in Rashford or some of our talented youngsters, how much longer will they wanna waste at us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

No chance Madrid or Liverpool or any self respecting fans of any club would be so passive at the owners in the way our fanbase have allowed ourselves to be groomed to lower expectations. They are making mugs out of all of us.

I hope young makes a mug out of Woodward , I hope nobody signs, I hope Pogba doesn’t play all season (he will get a few games in so he’s fit for European champs), I hope fans finally turn on the people who are the real problem and I hope our season goes off the rails and I hope Poch joins somebody else and whatever Woodward does fails miserably which has been happening anyway. Nothing but massive structural change will make a difference. Anything else is a poxy bandaid and just gets Woodward/Glazers out of a mess they have primarily caused. You can’t expect things to ever get back to where they were under these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Manchester United the once great football club is dying lads. Its sad to see but it's the reality imo. We're just a very well marketed cash cow upper middle table club who's owners and directors are trying to fool the fans into believing we are building something special with this romanticised giving youth a chance bullsh1t.

The days of Utd doing what it takes to compete at the top level are gone. Woodward has wasted a billion since Fergie and I think the Glazers have decided to close the purse strings and push the whole giving youth a chance mantra. It's the cheaper option. A strong manager like Jose wouldn't stand for it but Ole will tow the company line and won't rock the boat.

I don't think we'll see Man Utd win another title or champions league while the Glazers are owners, and most definitely not with a manager as poor as Ole at the helm. We might win the odd cup but that'll be it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭billyhead

If that's true about Young he can **** off. No loss. I wonder what would cause him to be do unprofessional though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Who would of thought that Ashley Young leaving would have triggered so many dooms day posts. I’d say when you have sobered up you’ll realise we aren’t going to be in much worse of a position than we were before he leaves. Hope he goes now instead of hanging on for 5 months wanting to be elsewhere. The club is fúcked anyway so not much difference if he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Lord TSC wrote: »

He has always been a good pro. It's not his fault the club dithered so long to address the full back situation (LB imo is still a worry).

Yes like you I'm also surprised at him if this is true.

But I guess it's his last chance ever at a big move and he's looking after #1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I’ve a feeling that things are going to get really bad, it’s hard to imagine results being worse but I think all the ingredients are there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭billyhead

At least we are still getting rid of the deadwood and reducing the wage bill. As everyone knows though the midfield needs major surgery. Hope Lingard is sold next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I’ve a feeling that things are going to get really bad, it’s hard to imagine results being worse but I think all the ingredients are there

I agree, that's why I backed them today to finish in the bottom half. Some sort of sadness insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

billyhead wrote: »
    At least we are still getting rid of the deadwood and reducing the wage bill. As everyone knows though the midfield needs major surgery. Hope Lingard is sold next.

What midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Lord TSC wrote:

It is but the question has to be asked why has he been such a good pro up till now ?? And suddenly hes refusing to play according to reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Be very surprised if it's true he is refusing to play, and if it is true he is refusing to play then I guarantee there is more to it then meets the eye. You don't go from being a great pro all through your career, never speaking out of turn or throwing strops at anything and suddenly go on strike without something major happening behind the scenes.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It is but the question has to be asked why has he been such a good pro up till now ?? And suddenly hes refusing to play according to reports.

He has been handed the chance of an Indian summer and I imagine he has decided that he is damn sure he doesn't want to miss that chance.

I can't blame him to be honest, not when you consider all the context.

Be very surprised if it's true he is refusing to play, and if it is true he is refusing to play then I guarantee there is more to it then meets the eye. You don't go from being a great pro all through your career, never speaking out of turn or throwing strops at anything and suddenly go on strike without something major happening behind the scenes.

I can understand him telling United he doesn’t want to risk injury before he moves to Inter Milan in the Summer. Inter can sign him now but there will be an injury clause in that contract that nullifies the deal if he is unable to pass a medical. United should let him go.

GSPfan wrote: »
    I can understand him telling United he doesn’t want to risk injury before he moves to Inter Milan in the Summer. Inter can sign him now but there will be an injury clause in that contract that nullifies the deal if he is unable to pass a medical. United should let him go.

Why is it a case of should?

When he signed his contract he committed to that term. If he wants to cut it short he can buy himself out. Club are entitled to hold a player to his contract. Same way a player can demand to be paid if he is no longer wanted.

That goes for any player not just Young. In this case it is a player who has played a fair share of the games. If he was not playing I could understand the argument he should be let go now. That is not the scenario.

The massive gloom over United right now is a hard read. Much if it is well deserved. Some is just from frustration and I think people ate right to ask so many questions.

United right now are just a few points off top four and what would be a recovery in terms of what happened last season. 3 goals in the drawn games and they would be 4th now.

That is how fine the margins are and that is what makes the current state of the team even more frustrating. We are going into the 10th of January. The club left itself short in midfield and attack in the last window before the season started but have yet to do anything about it, even something short or medium term to help turn some draws into wins.

It is even more perplexing when the money making potential of 4th over 5th (or lower is considered). They would recoup investment through Champions League TV money alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

DM_7 wrote: »

When he signed his contract he committed to that term. If he wants to cut it short he can buy himself out. Club are entitled to hold a player to his contract. Same way a player can demand to be paid if he is no longer wanted.

That goes for any player not just Young. In this case it is a player who has played a fair share of the games. If he was not playing I could understand the argument he should be let go now. That is not the scenario.

Personally I don't understand why the club would make such a big deal about it. Yes I would keep him, but he clearly isn't a long term option and his departure won't make or break a season that is already a ****show.

More to the point, are we not supposed to be giving the kids a chance anyway? Do we not have a number of young full backs there to give chances to?

I'd rather keep him, but still I don't think this is a battle the club really needs to fight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Barca lose, and talks they are bout to sack their manager.

In other words, highly likely we’ve missed the window to get Poch :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Barca lose, and talks they are bout to sack their manager.

In other words, highly likely we’ve missed the window to get Poch :/

If Valverde can survive the Roma beating followed by the Liverpool one the next season, he’s surely pretty bulletproof no?

Also, hasn’t Poch said he’d never manage Barca due to his Espanyol connection. (Who knows if that’s true or not if they did come calling)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

If Valverde can survive the Roma beating followed by the Liverpool one the next season, he’s surely pretty bulletproof no?

Also, hasn’t Poch said he’d never manage Barca due to his Espanyol connection. (Who knows if that’s true or not if they did come calling)

He previously said:
    “I would never train Barcelona or Arsenal because I am tied to Tottenham. I grew up at Newell’s and I would never train Rosario Central. This is my decision. I would prefer to work on my farm in Argentina than to go and work in certain places.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Our “senior” players on the field v City were Dave, Jones and Lingard.

It’s just tragic really.

And Woodward had the nerve to come out with the “it’s fine, we know what we’re doing NOW” spiel after the signings of Maguire AWB James, excusing 7 years of negligence.

I just wonder what will finally break the match going fan.

Personally I don't understand why the club would make such a big deal about it. Yes I would keep him, but he clearly isn't a long term option and his departure won't make or break a season that is already a ****show.

More to the point, are we not supposed to be giving the kids a chance anyway? Do we not have a number of young full backs there to give chances to?

I'd rather keep him, but still I don't think this is a battle the club really needs to fight.

I take your point, I just think the club ****ed up in the past by setting a precedent/example, Sanchez leading to Herrera demands, Herrera vanishing when his contract was in the air leads to Young (allegedly) saying he does not want to play and trying to force a move.

I think the club need to be strong about doing things on their terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm still gonna give Ashely the benefit of the doubt here so far tbh.

The club are an absolute joke from top to bottom though, of that I have no argument.

Edit: i meant to say, I don't think Herrera wanted anything extortionate I think he wanted to be treated like he mattered and when that didn't happen he went elsewhere and got a great offer.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

If he wants to go now then holding onto a player who is third choice left back and is going to leave anyway in 5 months time is a bad idea. Considering he will probably be disinterested for us for 5 months and pick up a salary each month I’d say it’s best to get him gone now.

We have Wan Bissaka, Dalot, and Laird for RB and Shaw, Williams, and Dalot for left back. We’ll be alright without him, or at least still as shít without him.

There’s a hypothetical choice here that you let Young go now or He signs an extension and stays another 1.5 years. I know what I’d choose and it’d be the first option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Our “senior” players on the field v City were Dave, Jones and Lingard.

It’s just tragic really.

And Woodward had the nerve to come out with the “it’s fine, we know what we’re doing NOW” spiel after the signings of Maguire AWB James, excusing 7 years of negligence.

I just wonder what will finally break the match going fan.

If they weren't broken after the city game nothing will break them. The noises and protests coming out of old Trafford are none existent. Our support in the ground is really a joke at this stage.

If they weren't broken after the city game nothing will break them. The noises and protests coming out of old Trafford are none existent. Our support in the ground is really a joke at this stage.

The match going fans are loyal to Ole due to him being a club legend and see him being put in an impossible position by Woodward. The ire among the support is directed at him so they are reticent to boo Ole or the team even though they know he's clearly out of his depth.
    Moyes and LVG were abused as they weren't "one of our own". Jose was different as he did his inimitable style of protest over not getting his way and got fans on his side Vs Woodward but it got to the stage that fans showed their displeasure by leaving the stadium in their thousands early.
    This started happening against City,more of a silent protest rather than raining down bile and insults at Ole

The match going fans are loyal to Ole due to him being a club legend and see him being put in an impossible position by Woodward. The ire among the support is directed at him so they are reticent to boo Ole or the team even though they know he's clearly out of his depth.
    Moyes and LVG were abused as they weren't "one of our own". Jose was different as he did his inimitable style of protest over not getting his way and got fans on his side Vs Woodward but it got to the stage that fans showed their displeasure by leaving the stadium in their thousands early.
    This started happening against City,more of a silent protest rather than raining down bile and insults at Ole

As I have said in earlier posts I always had a great time for ole and genuinely believe he came into the position to try and help the club. Saying that he must see more than anyone the way the club is being destroyed and the total disregard for supporters. His comments after games and talk of transfers are pure bull**** that could of came from the mouth of Woodward himself, to me its disrespectful to true supporters to have one of your own cover up a bunch of leeches who are destroying the club. Genuinely nice guy and club legend but as we know means nothing to Woodward and co just collateral damage on the way to draining the club.Not going to end well for ole unless he walks.

Ole isn’t doing any different to what Fergie done for the Glazers in terms of sugar coating the truth about our finances.

Ole isn’t doing any different to what Fergie done for the Glazers in terms of sugar coating the truth about our finances.

Probably at the end but not as bad as things have got now.Also alot felt that there would of been new building of a team around a new manager that never happened.
    But sure we can look back all we want, time to start looking ahead, big question still is what is it going to take to get a reaction where it matters. Below top 6 finish and no silverware is more than a probability. But the complete embarrassing performances from highest paid team in the league should of warranted this a long time ago. Were a joke on and off the pitch at the moment.

• Advertisement

We look back with rose tinted glasses but Ferguson and his row over a bloody horse was the catalyst for the takeover.
    However it shows the measure and genius of the man to win a league with the squad he had at the end of his tenure. The penny pinching was well and truly underway but was masked by Ferguson's ability to get silverware with that squad. Imagine Ole or anyone in charge of that same group of players now, would results be any different to what we are seeing?

Just goes to show how lacking we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

https://twitter.com/RobDawsonESPN/status/1215574155934019584?s=20

Won't be holding my breath on any ****in' signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Bruno Fernandes rumours again, maybe more likely this time as he is having another good season, and United are rather crap...

RobertKK wrote: »
    Bruno Fernandes rumours again, maybe more likely this time as he is having another good season, and United are rather crap...

Surely he has better options than us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

RobertKK wrote: »

Christ I hope so. Even for the sake of everyone here and myself that I don't have to keep posting about how he would improve United every week or 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ElChe32 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/RobDawsonESPN/status/1215574155934019584?s=20

Won't be holding my breath on any ****in' signings.

He's fairly testing my support, I have to admit.

At the very minimum, he should have the Lukaku money spent this January. Now, he may be saying that behind closed doors... but I wouldn't bet on it.

If he doesn't make 1 or 2 things happen this window, I'll probably be for changing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement