Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horror?

• 21-05-2019 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Can anyone define what is horror and what is not horror?

Clearly, TV series like 'The Walking Dead' are horror. I heard series like The Handmaid's Tale, Love/Hate, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones also defined as horror but thought of these as dystopian, crime and fantasy personally. GoT may be the closest to what I'd consider horror of these 4 examples. What they all have in common is violence. Can all violent drama be called horror or does horror have to have a supernatural element? Can anyone explain what is the difference between violent drama and horror?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Horror - Haunting of Hill House.

Horrific - the wife in Breaking Bad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There are sometimes lines between horror and fantasy/sci fi. Alien, for example. Or some “monster of the week” episodes of the X Files. Maybe even Doctor Who on occasion.

Love/Hate and Breaking Bad? Nowhere near the genre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Says a lot about how quiet this thread has been that a blatant GoT spoiler was posted here and nobody reported it :)

As to the subject? Depends on the viewer really, but I think anything that can successfully create and maintain a sense of unease, foreboding and make the viewer feel unsettled can be classified as 'horror' - or at least 'horror adjacent'. So something like the Netflix series 'Dark', while not ostensibly a horror film, had a very intentionally unsettling, dread laden tone and aesthetic that creeped me out far more than all 4 seasons of Walking Dead that I bothered with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm not sure what the definition of horror could be. Slasher movies are considered horror but I would apply it more to something like Paranormal Activity which is all about tension and building dread. As such, I can't really think of any series like that.
    And depends on what you personally consider horror: Hannibal contains cannibalism which is considered horror. From Dusk Til Dawn as well could be classed as horror.

As for that spoiler, I would probably delete it altogether or at least say what it's a spoiler for just before it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Here's a list of Horror Tropes from Abandoned Hospital Awakening to Zombie Apocalypse it covers a lot, but Fear Is The Key*

Off to TV tropes for a definition.
    Horror is a Genre of fiction that exploits the Primal Fears of viewers with things ranging from the Uncanny Valley, Body Horror, and Dramatic Irony AKA Suspense to cause the viewer anxiety, fear, and ultimately thrills. It uses various Horror Tropes to cause these effects; however, partly due to the rise in complexity of Special Effects, overuse, and viewer desensitization, several of these are now cliché.

This is a very broad genre, it can go from tasteful and timeless tales of psychological suspense (a trademark of people like Alfred Hitchcock) to gross out horror (which tends to become campy). It often employs the supernatural, but "normal" people are more than sufficient to scare audiences when used properly.

*Not a horror movie but a good name for one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement