Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How/Where to learn Olympic Lifting (in Dublin)

Options
  • 03-09-2013 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looking for a bit of advice, about a year ago I started to put in a serious effort to get fit, mostly to play rugby again as I was off my feet for a few years with an injury.

I spent the year doing 6 day a week x 3 month regimes (a fairly cheesy but effective program called P90x), which would include anything from bodyweight training to plyo. The only weight involved here was dumbbells etc.,

My level of fitness is much better than a year ago, and I've lost 3stone of body fat, so I'm happy to start training and playing rugby again.

However, at the moment I'm doing a lot of physio to get my leg back to full strength, but when it gets better I'm planning on starting a particular work out regime that's been designed by a rugby strength and conditioning coach.

The only problem is it involves mostly Olympic lifting... And ofcourse I don't don't know my clean jerk from my power snatch.

So, I want to take this seriously and at the same time don't want to pick up a silly injury because I tried to learn to lift from some webpage.

Is there anywhere in Dublin (preferably city centre) that would have the facilities to teach you how to do these? Maybe a short crash course or something like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Thanks in advance btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

http://defygravity.ie/

http://eastcoastbarbell.com/

Either of these will get you on the right track. I trained in ECB for a year and highly recommend it.

No experience with Capital Strength but it looks like a great setup.

DylanJM wrote: »

Either of these will get you on the right track. I trained in ECB for a year and highly recommend it.

Thanks. Both might be a bit far out for me... Is it possible to go to one and learn what you need to do in a few sessions and then use the weights in a local gym? Is that a done thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,129 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

www.ronincrossfit.org do an Olympic Lift course I believe.

The Olympic lifts are not really 'normal gym' friendly. You require floorspace and are moving a loaded barbell quickly overhead. Ideally you would use bumper plates as you'll frequently miss lifts or want to drop a successful lift straight to the ground from the top which won't be an option in Ben Dunne.

Learning is also difficult. A few sessions will give you an idea of what you're looking to do, but you'll be tweaking for years. These are the most technically demanding lifts you can try (it's an Olympic sport!) and any inefficiency in movement will be exposed and frustrate.

Not that I would put you off giving it a go - if you work at these and manage to progress you'll be building a lot of power and explosiveness in the process. But don't underestimate the task at hand and don't cut corners. Pay a few quid to get some proper coaching to get you started. Good luck.

Thanks, makes sense!

• Advertisement

It really depends. Some people can pick up the movements after a couple of sessions. Then again it might take another person months before they have reasonable technique. If you could dedicate yourself to doing the lifts 2 or 3 times a week for a month or two (Ideally more) you could learn a lot.

The lifts are difficult but not as difficult as some would have you believe. It is completely possible to teach yourself by watching videos and reading lots, which is how I started. The thing that holds most people back is flexibility IMO. People that have the required flexibility will pick it up much faster. I think though for most people it is worth the money and time to get coaching.

These videos by Glenn Pendlay are very helpful. You can find the subsequent parts in the suggestions to the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6SjuAOjMEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEyoH5FV03s

As for doing the lifts in a local gym, it depends on what equipment they have. The most important piece of equipment is a barbell with free spinning sleeves (the part that holds the plates). This is required for the turn over portion of the lifts. Doing the lifts on a bar that doesn't spin freely is much more difficult and you risk injuring your wrists.

Bumper plates are also important but you can get a way with lowering lights weights after each lift. You'll have no choice but to make every lift though unless you want everyone in your gym to stare at you when you miss and drop the barbell :D

Anyway I hope this is of some help to you and good luck. It can be a hard and frustrating learning process but it's definitely worth it.

Thanks DylanJM that's very helpful.

I guess everyone has to start somewhere. Another poster is recommending strength 5x5 to get started?

I have a barbell at home so I was hoping just to get practicing with that with no weights on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

Can I ask what Fitness program you are using?
    Just started Rugby training myself at 29, so would like to use a weights program tailored for Rugby.

It's called Warrior Rugby Workouts (cheesy, I know...)

Website seems to be down at the moment tho.

http://warriorrugbyworkouts.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

There is no way you can learn ol by watching videos. What you think you are doing and actually doing when starting to ol are not the same. You will end up back with your Physio very soon.

A few sessions with a good coach would get you started but go back every few weeks to tweak things if you can't commit to a club.

Also how is your form with front squat, back squat, press? How is your mobility? Having those all dialled in beforehand will really help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭COH

Hercules on Lurgan St... bout 5 mins from O'Connell St

http://www.herculesclub.ie/Home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Videos like the ones Dylan posted can useful but without a coaches eye on you, you will pick up bad habits.

If you can get to one of the clubs listed then you'll progress a lot quicker than on your own. Both have experienced coaches in them.

Another option is the Hercules club in town but coaching isn't always available, you'd have to try organise something with someone in there.

If you happen to be a DCU student or alumni, I coach in the club there.

It's not that hard to learn the basics, don't mind what anyone says. It's hard to keep doing those basics with a loaded bar.

And yeah, if you can't get into a good start position in the snatch or bottom position in an overhead squat, mobility will be a limiting factor.

Sweet, thanks for all the advice people. I think I'll look into starting with basic weights first, and perhaps move onto olympic stuff next year if I can build on the basics.

Good point on the mobility thing... I'm currently working with the physio to get a full range of mobility back into my legs/hams/hip flexors.. so I reckon I'll need to sort that out first before doing any lifting.

Is there any decent weights I can work on that don't require mobility that I can work on whilst doing my rehab work? i.e bench presses etc?

.ak wrote: »
    Sweet, thanks for all the advice people. I think I'll look into starting with basic weights first, and perhaps move onto olympic stuff next year if I can build on the basics.

Good point on the mobility thing... I'm currently working with the physio to get a full range of mobility back into my legs/hams/hip flexors.. so I reckon I'll need to sort that out first before doing any lifting.

Is there any decent weights I can work on that don't require mobility that I can work on whilst doing my rehab work? i.e bench presses etc?

I think that sounds like a pretty good idea.

It would be best to check with your physio what exercises you can do. I'm guessing most upper body exercises will be possible. Stuff like pull ups, presses, etc. but it would be best to make sure with your physio first to make sure.

I think that sounds like a pretty good idea.

It would be best to check with your physio what exercises you can do. I'm guessing most upper body exercises will be possible. Stuff like pull ups, presses, etc. but it would be best to make sure with your physio first to make sure.

Yep, he says I'm fine to do that kind of stuff, but just to stick away from stuff like squats etc., for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Thanks. Both might be a bit far out for me... Is it possible to go to one and learn what you need to do in a few sessions and then use the weights in a local gym? Is that a done thing?

I can recommend capitol strength, and they also run a beginners class 3 days a week I believe.

South circular road is pretty easy to get to if your city center based.

Im in dunlaoghaire and its a pain for me to get there, but im still really considering joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

How strong are you currently?

Learning Oly lifts seems to me like a massive time investment on top of rugby with limited returns (over and above normal lifting).

Sangre wrote: »
    How strong are you currently?

Learning Oly lifts seems to me like a massive time investment on top of rugby with limited returns (over and above normal lifting).

To be honest, that's what I thought! But the specific moves that are outlined in the program concentrate on power/speed/explosiveness, i.e power cleans and power jerks etc. So stuff that would build your quads/hamstrings for explosiveness.

It makes sense as in rugby the biggest asset for most positions in short busts of speed and power.

I definitely wouldn't be very strong. At 10.5st and 5'7" I would be fairly small, which is one of the reasons why I want to get into lifting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

The best condition I every got into for playing rugby was keeping it simple by focusing on front squat, back squat, pull ups and press. One of the above and finish with a metcon per session (4 sessions per week). In season doing two sessions per week combined with one of the lower and upper body movements and scale back (reduce weight and or intensity) on the metcons.

This was after going through at least 15 various complex pre seasons......

Done right it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be honest, that's what I thought! But the specific moves that are outlined in the program concentrate on power/speed/explosiveness, i.e power cleans and power jerks etc. So stuff that would build your quads/hamstrings for explosiveness.

This is kind of the Oly lift fallacy.
    To preform well at the oly lifts, you need lots explosive power, as well as the correct technique. Consistently develop your oly lifts and you'll build your explosive power. So there's the assumption is that they are the best lifts to build explosive power...but this is flawed.

While they do build power, there are simpler moves that require similar explosive power but are less technical. If your only goal is to build power for rugby, then there are probably better options in terms of return on investment.

My all means go with Oly lifts if you like the idea of them. I currently do them myself. I could spend my time better for power, but I like the idea of them.

• Advertisement

siochain wrote: »
    The best condition I every got into for playing rugby was keeping it simple by focusing on front squat, back squat, pull ups and press. One of the above and finish with a metcon per session (4 sessions per week). In season doing two sessions per week combined with one of the lower and upper body movements and scale back (reduce weight and or intensity) on the metcons.

This was after going through at least 15 various complex pre seasons......

Done right it works.

What does metcon mean exactly? I understand what it stands for (metabolic conditioning?) but what does it entail?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,129 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What does metcon mean exactly? I understand what it stands for (metabolic conditioning?) but what does it entail?

A) 5 Push Ups; 10 Sit Ups; 15 Air Squats for as many rounds as possible in 10 minutes
    B) 3 rounds with 15 min cap: row 500m; 15 Pull Ups; 7 Front Squats @ 65% of max
    C) 5 Rounds: 30 seconds skipping; 30 seconds kettlebell swings; 30 seconds dumbell push presses; 30 seconds rest

Some ideas off the top of my head. Basically a mix of movements done in 10 - 20 minute blocks performed at high or near maximal intensity.

Advertisement