Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TriAthy 2nd/3rd June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

It's a probable for me.

i had decided to race much less this year but this could end up being my 3rd of the season:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'm doing the Olympic for this.

Had mad thoughts of doing both and actually entered same on early bird cheap price before Xmas but seen sense since.

Lots on here in for sprint I think though.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Am up for the double, hoping not to be last in it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Oryx wrote: »
    Am up for the double, hoping not to be last in it. :)

You won't... I am also doing the double.:)

My times will be something like:
    swim 1h15 (guess as i am yet to swim 3km)
    cycle 2h45
    run 2h00

911sc wrote: »
    You won't... I am also doing the double.:)

My times will be something like:
    swim 1h15 (guess as i am yet to swim 3km)
    cycle 2h45
    run 2h00
    If thats the case shall we hold hands across the finish line? :) Looking at similar times myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sprint. Will probably take me about 3 hrs :pac:

Sprint. Will probably take me about 3 hrs :pac:
    The lady doth protest too much. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Down for Olympic. First triathlon so should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Heading down myself. Havent talked myself out of doing both the Oly & the Sprint yet, but I havent entered either. Got to make a decision on it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mike.l

Tempted ....be a first for me, the beginners one looks an ideal entry tri! have no bike and I only usually swim a couple of times a year, have I enough time?

• Advertisement

mike.l wrote: »
    Tempted ....be a first for me, the beginners one looks an ideal entry tri! have no bike and I only usually swim a couple of times a year, have I enough time?

Plenty of time!

The Try-a-tri last year consisted of a completely downstream swim (you could lay on your back and float down!) two out and back laps on the bike (all kindsof bikes from Tribikes to sit up and begs) and a short enough run (up hill at the start but downhill and flat along the river afterwards).

There's plenty of training plans for Sprints on the internet (www.beginnertriathlete.com) so just train towards one of them and see how you fare.

Plenty of time........

There's plenty of training plans for Sprints on the internet (www.beginnertriathlete.com) so just train towards one of them and see how you fare.

Cheers the running should be fine, think I might give it a crack .... what sort of bike should I get starting out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

mike.l wrote: »
    Cheers the running should be fine, think I might give it a crack .... what sort of bike should I get starting out?

For your first race you're probably better off borrowing/renting. And anything will do.

For your first race you're probably better off borrowing/renting. And anything will do.

were could I rent a bike? or has any generous person got a second one lying about?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

http://www.triathy.ie/2012entry/index.php/register-2

Who is in for this? I have registered for the sprint with what should be my first tri of the year with the way the diary is shaping up.

I'll probably do it.

I swore last year that I wouldn't, as the new Olympic bike route was terrible - poor surface and had cyclists going both ways over narrow winding country roads (overtaking was taking your life into your hands). Also, the running trail down beside the river is also very difficult to overtake on (got bloody hot last year as well).

Still, the draw of trying to beat my time from last year means I'll grudgingly sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Am I right in thinking that the majority of the Olympic swim is down stream?

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Just slightly over half.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

nerraw1111 wrote: »

Yes, but the time spent swimming upstream is about the same as spent swimming downstream.

When you stand at the river bank and look upstream from where you start to where the turn is, it sure looks a long way.

I was told to watch for the end of the red brick houses for the turn. It took ages to reach them. Keep a centre line on the way back down. I drifted towards the bank and hit some shallows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

That weekend i shall mainly spend my time being rather annoying on the mic:cool:

Oh and i have to sort out a flag for couerdelion.

The hardest part the double is the swim as a lot of it is upstream.

If you want to get an idea of the water there is a swim event the weekend before organised by triathy.

If you have any questions i'll answer as best i can or i'll get in touch with the race director.

• Advertisement

That weekend i shall mainly spend my time being rather annoying on the mic:cool:

Oh and i have to sort out a flag for couerdelion.

Every fecking flag but the UK one last year! I think I ended up carrying Honuras or something. :D

You also said you were going to sort out "Eye of the Tiger" for when I run down the finish chute? ;)

(I can see it now that I'll probably get YMCA played instead!)

Every fecking flag but the UK one last year! I think I ended up carrying Honuras or something. :D

You also said you were going to sort out "Eye of the Tiger" for when I run down the finish chute? ;)

(I can see it now that I'll probably get YMCA played instead!)

I told you the system was set on random:D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

I'm in. Doing the sprint, first tri and really looking forward to it. Lots to be done before then though, nowhere near ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

down for the sprint this year

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

I registered for the Olympic but with Fingal on the week before I think I may change it to the Sprint. Has anyone switched races before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Sprint for me as the first of two A races in the space of 7 days. So long as I get a clear run of it from now on I should be able to pip last years time. Now I must actually enter at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Double Olympic
    Name|Swim|T1|Bike|T2|Run|Total Time
    911SC|1:15|0:02|2:45|0:01|2:00|6:03|
    Oryx|1:15||2:45||2:00|6:00|

Olympic
    nerraw1111|
    ray o|
    Fazz|

Sprint
    RacoonQueen||||||3:00|
    mickmc7|
    Daz1214|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Sprint for me - going to do it instead of Fingal for my first triathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Double for me but its a tune up for kilkee

• Advertisement

New website is live !

End line and athlete village might be moving, just waiting on confirmation !

Advertisement