Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 year old wants off..

Options
  • 07-07-2008 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I need some advice.
    I've tried quitting smoking several times then went back on em everytime due to this and that. Anyways i'm going cold turkey. I planned this 4months ago as advised by my gp to find a date to stop and do just that.

Anyways while i'm here does anybody know if the body will ever recover from smoking? ie; damage to lungs etc or am i stuck with that tar forever?

Any ideas of how long until (typically) it takes for nicotine to leave the body?
    lastly, At what point will a person (again typically) stop craving.

I'm going cold turkey and i don't care if i scream, kick, cry or punch. This is happening for me come July 10th.

thanks in advance and good to luck to all other ex smokers. Its true courage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

How long have you been smoking?!...that would be a key factor in wheather tere would be any damage in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

4+ years
    sounds ironic that somebody like me (young) can actually even be addicted but it is completly possible.
    25 max 30 a day

Not really ironic, I know a lot of people who'd sa they are addicted at that age to!

25 to 30 seems to be a lot for someone so young! I'm no doctor so can't give a prognosis here but a lot of people can smoke that amount every day for 50-60 years and would never have any problems or some can smoke 10 a day and have problems. It's not something that can really be spotted straight away if you get me!

Yea i get ya but i got myself checked out 2 weeks ago by the doc. He said my lungs are in a terrible state bordering and astmathic. and no joke, There is some stairways for example those in Blanch S.c that I struggle up. Also i'm sick of chest infections.
    so no typical idea of how long for nico and tar to leave etc?

Well maybe you should try go cold turkey asap! Wouldn't know how lonr it'd take to leave, if it does fully! Sorry can't be of more help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

The nicotine should be out of your system in 48 hrs .
    The tar... years, but as soon as you stop the body starts to expel it and all the other crap that goes with smoking. Just remember the repairs start as soon as you put the last one out.
    Im on day 5. I feel strong and a hell of a lot better than last week.
    Good luck tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Addiction knows not of age.
    Ever heard of kids born addicted to crack and heroin?
    I've been addicted to smoking since I was 12. Maybe even 11. Either way, it wasn't long after my first cigarette.

The tar does stay in your lungs for quite a while, but will clear up if you stay off the smokes. I've no idea how long it takes though.

You will start coughing up a lot of black crap (more than usual) in the first few days. That's just your body getting rid of the crap.

That's about all the medical advice we are allowed to give here (legal stuff).

As for the cravings, I've spoken to some people who still occasionally have them after being smoke free for 20 years and others who are rarely, if ever, bothered by cravings.
    It varies from person to person. Just be strong enough to resist having just one. Be especially aware if you are drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I started somking when I was 14 and by the time i gave up i was on 30 a day. I gave up using the patches and was on them for about 6-8 weeks. Even now after 4 years i still have the odd craving for them and i still love the smell. It's not easy but you'll feel alot better if you jack them in. You will cough up alot of sh!te for the first few weeks but that'll subside and you'll notice that you wont cough in the morning etc. my advice would be to not to go cold turky but to get some help , whether it's patches or the pipe (although it does look like your smoking a tampon applicator).:eek:

Good luck with the whole thing.

so far im one week and a bit off em now. i have yet to cough up much black stuff (road tar lol) i've began to clear up a lot though. as i said, cold turkey and set a date well in advance for when i was going to quit is actually working. the cravings aren't too bad just the morning one is a killer

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

well done keep it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

congo_90 wrote: »
    so far im one week and a bit off em now. i have yet to cough up much black stuff (road tar lol) i've began to clear up a lot though. as i said, cold turkey and set a date well in advance for when i was going to quit is actually working. the cravings aren't too bad just the morning one is a killer

hey congo hope you are still not smoking.
    I stopped smoking four years ago on April fools day.
    Alan Carrs book and cold turkey worked for me.It was the best thing i ever did.My cravings went very quickly and i dont miss them.You have so much to look forward to.
    - my taste buds came back to life,food tasted much better.
    - if you have some clothes in your wash basket that are unwashed since quitting, smell them,it will shock you.
    -I treated myself to a new wardrobe as my old clothes still stank no matter how many times washed.
    - After a couple of weeks my partner told me i was starting to look really
    healthy
    -You will save a fortune,spend it on clothes and nice food.

The only advice i would give you is dont be tempted to even have a drag.
    Thats all it takes to trigger chemical reactions in the brain to want more nicotine.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Adamstown1 is right on the money here, relatively painless over a 2 week period of reading the book(easy way to stop smoking), was off them and never looked back, cuts out the reliance on willpower dragging you through! Best of luck congo

Advertisement