Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Trigger wrote: »
    Id be more concerned with higher up the pitch this summer, and maybe buy in a younger CB and loan them out for first team games.

We need someone on the right and a few upgrades in CM. They would be my first priorities. If after that there is money available for a top CB yeah splash it out. But not sure it will be there. Is there even any top CB available for a decent price

I would agree RW is high priority. Definitely ahead of a CB.

I honestly don't see much happening in CM - especially if Pogba stays, which is looking ever more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,554 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Zeek12 wrote: »
    I would agree RW is high priority. Definitely ahead of a CB.

I honestly don't see much happening in CM - especially if Pogba stays, which is looking ever more likely.

I think a hell of a lot of our business will depend on whether Pogba stays or goes, personally I'd get rid as I dont think he wants to be at the club and Raiola really doesnt know when to shut up so is more trouble than it's worth. But with the stuff that has gone on it's going to be very difficult to recoup what we paid

• Is Saul Niguez trolling us?
    Some signing that would be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,278 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trigger wrote: »
    I think a hell of a lot of our business will depend on whether Pogba stays or goes, personally I'd get rid as I dont think he wants to be at the club and Raiola really doesnt know when to shut up so is more trouble than it's worth. But with the stuff that has gone on it's going to be very difficult to recoup what we paid

I think 1 signing depends on Pogba staying or going, a replacement for Pogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Is Saul Niguez trolling us?
    Some signing that would be!

I'm sure its some sponsorship ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Seen Rio interacted with the post as well, surely BS. My guess would be a new commercial deal, esports maybe.

https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status/1267698211835260935?s=20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think 1 signing depends on Pogba staying or going, a replacement for Pogba.

How much do you think we spend if he stays?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    How much do you think we spend if he stays?

I think we sign Sancho, and maybe Rodon (or similar). so maybe 120 or so.

I think if Pogba goes we sign Grealish.

I think we look for a CM/DM and a striker the following window - to replace Matic and Ighalo (and/or supplant Martial)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I doubt anyone has seen it, i'm still not sure how i managed to come across it, but Jesse Lingard was on MTV UK Cribs show last night. He just seems so childish and irritating, modern footballers like him I just can't identify with. I'd be glad to see the back of him but gone are the days of shipping our cast offs to Sunderland etc.
    He did mention that he's tried to put on weight during lockdown to bulk up for the return. I wonder did he pull a Lukaku or was it discussed with the medical staff?
    Anyway maybe someone here might appreciate it more than I did!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

As I get older I fully agree with the not getting what Lingard is about in terms of his public image.

I am still not sure it is that different to what Beckham or Giggs or Lee Sharpe used to get up to though so I would not go as far as saying he is the type of person who is wrong for the club based on his public image.

It takes all sorts to make a team dynamic function, a more lighthearted nature would have benefits for the squad and team at appropriate times. He does not appear to be a disruptive person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,626 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DM_7 wrote: »
    As I get older I fully agree with the not getting what Lingard is about in terms of his public image.

I am still not sure it is that different to what Beckham or Giggs or Lee Sharpe used to get up to though so I would not go as far as saying he is the type of person who is wrong for the club based on his public image.

It takes all sorts to make a team dynamic function, a more lighthearted nature would have benefits for the squad and team at appropriate times. He does not appear to be a disruptive person.

The difference is those guys were great players where as Lingard shouldn't be near utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think part of the problem is when players look like they are having a great old time even when the club or team is struggling. Out of sight, out of mind, when United lost a game under Giggs or Becks you didn’t see them out having a great laugh on twitter or any of that sort of crap. They might of actually been out on the p*ss sometimes or at a hotel fiding fans but since it wasn’t in our faces we presumed they were as unhappy as we were.

Giggs in fairness looked after himself , Becks was shipped out because of that very public lifestyle that he courted. Drove Ferguson mad and I actually agreed with him, Fuppin hated the circus around Becks. Sharpe I believe maybe had more deep rooted issues that led to his demise.

I don’t mind players having fun. But they are stupid idiots to do it after United defeats or when they are playing badly. It’s idiotic and disrespectful as the only reason they are marketable is from football , so this should be their primary focus. I don’t want to see united players doing stupid sh*t after defeats, just STFU and wait until you are playing well or the team is winning again before promoting yourself, it’s not that difficult. Even Rooney called him out in that he can control when his marketing stuff happens (think Some players try to make out they can’t control marketing deadlines or targets, which is bullsh*t).

Just a bit of cop on is all he needs and nobody will care.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I think part of the problem is when players look like they are having a great old time even when the club or team is struggling. Out of sight, out of mind, when United lost a game under Giggs or Becks you didn’t see them out having a great laugh on twitter or any of that sort of crap. They might of actually been out on the p*ss sometimes or at a hotel fiding fans but since it wasn’t in our faces we presumed they were as unhappy as we were.

Giggs in fairness looked after himself , Becks was shipped out because of that very public lifestyle that he courted. Drove Ferguson mad and I actually agreed with him, Fuppin hated the circus around Becks. Sharpe I believe maybe had more deep rooted issues that led to his demise.

I don’t mind players having fun. But they are stupid idiots to do it after United defeats or when they are playing badly. It’s idiotic and disrespectful as the only reason they are marketable is from football , so this should be their primary focus. I don’t want to see united players doing stupid sh*t after defeats, just STFU and wait until you are playing well or the team is winning again before promoting yourself, it’s not that difficult. Even Rooney called him out in that he can control when his marketing stuff happens (think Some players try to make out they can’t control marketing deadlines or targets, which is bullsh*t).

Just a bit of cop on is all he needs and nobody will care.

With respect I think you may be talking about more than Lingard seeming to be immature, hard to relate to or doing cribs.

I fully agree players should be respectful and mindful of their clubs situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I actually think him and Jones are now disruptive through no real fault of their own tbh. If they come off the bench or start a game there is an immediate public backlash on social media and everything around them is negative. I think it has an effect on selection through a weakness in Ole.

Jones started once or twice in the PL this season and whenever he was picked or came on in the EL or cup there was a backlash and it got to the point where Maguire was playing in nothing games and being run into the ground and eventually picked up injuries. Jones is the perfect player to play 20 games a season. Less pressure on his body and he's not going to be getting ideas above his station. But he was being put on the bench in the Carabao cup and garbage EL games where Maguire should have been rested. I believe Ole reacted to public pressure (as far as United fans go) on that.

Same with Lingard who has played about 130 mins in the last 10 league games but there has probably been 130 articles in that time discussing how supposedly bad he is. No matter what they do they aren't going to turn the fans onside and it turns into another Fellaini where they become the poster boys for every bad result. They should be better and have underperformed too obviously but representative to some other players on the team, the level of vitriol they receive is hugely disproportionate and would naturally lead to disruption imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I’m not bothered by Lingards off field lifestyle at all.

He has always looked fully committed when playing, in shape, runs himself into the ground. In fact he is probably the most intelligent footballer in the squad off the ball. He always finds space and even makes very intelligent runs when they are decoys to drag defenders out of position.

It’s just his actual skill on the ball doesn’t match up to it. It has been magnified the last 12 months or so where his form has been truly awful but I don’t think he’s as bad a footballer as portrayed.

He was always a good squad option and knocking on the door of the first team for a starting place but I have a feeling he may move on. There comes a time where it just doesn’t look like you will ever get back the form you had at a club no matter what you do and the only option is a new club.

Maybe his skill in finding space, running defences etc has been amplified due to the standard of player around him who knows.

I won’t miss him if he does go tbh but I think he gets a lot more criticism than he deserves overall.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    I actually think him and Jones are now disruptive through no real fault of their own tbh. If they come off the bench or start a game there is an immediate public backlash on social media and everything around them is negative. I think it has an effect on selection through a weakness in Ole.

Jones started once or twice in the PL this season and whenever he was picked or came on in the EL or cup there was a backlash and it got to the point where Maguire was playing in nothing games and being run into the ground and eventually picked up injuries. Jones is the perfect player to play 20 games a season. Less pressure on his body and he's not going to be getting ideas above his station. But he was being put on the bench in the Carabao cup and garbage EL games where Maguire should have been rested. I believe Ole reacted to public pressure (as far as United fans go) on that.

Same with Lingard who has played about 130 mins in the last 10 league games but there has probably been 130 articles in that time discussing how supposedly bad he is. No matter what they do they aren't going to turn the fans onside and it turns into another Fellaini where they become the poster boys for every bad result. They should be better and have underperformed too obviously but representative to some other players on the team, the level of vitriol they receive is hugely disproportionate and would naturally lead to disruption imo.

Agree with the above.

I actually feel sorry for Phil Jones, he's been made a meme through a few incredible faces he's pulled over the years and genuinely had a lot of talent.

Being compared as the next Duncan Edwards is some feat and unfortunately injuries has just screwed him over in recent years. By all accounts, he keeps himself to himself too and just gets on with it.

I have little sympathy for Lingard, IMO he has used his platform as a Man United platform to set up commercial deals for himself to get richer (very smart btw) whilst putting in extremely below par performances for United.

That with being a general goon on social media putting the club in a bad light at times. You can somewhat get away with it if you're at the highest level. He's simply not good enough and should've been booted out a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Phil Jones was like a lesser skilled arguably even more injury prone version of Wes Brown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lingard is courting attention Giggs and Beckham shyed away when confronted Beckham was one of the first big public image type players him and Giggs would never have done the jester Instagram nonsense Jessie gets up to. Giggs got caught up in the brother ducker stuff he did some ads too.

Beckham did the Adidas Predator campaign and FIFA he was an ad icon Jessie just seeks attention rather than fame and glory.

Liam O wrote: »

Never thought of it that way.

I disagree that Jones is suitable for 20 games as I think he is actually poor when playing here and there, he is incapable of playing well enough in 20 games when in and out of the side like that.

But I agree with the general point that fans can be negative towards players however I think others have gained or regained fans respect through performances such as McTominay Fellaini, Fred, Lindelof, Matic who looked like no hopers at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lingard is courting attention Giggs and Beckham shyed away when confronted Beckham was one of the first big public image type players him and Giggs would never have done the jester Instagram nonsense Jessie gets up to. Giggs got caught up in the brother ducker stuff he did some ads too.

Beckham did the Adidas Predator campaign and FIFA he was an ad icon Jessie just seeks attention rather than fame and glory.

I’d disagree about Beckham. He was possibly the ultimate circus towards the end of his time at Utd.

He was a great player for us but I was glad when Fergie moved him on. It really was a case him becoming a bigger story than the club and all non football stuff related.

Having said that, we had a squad full of top players at the time so he was easier to lose than a player of his calibre would be now.

I honestly can’t remember a bigger circus around a player than Beckhams latter time at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Headshot wrote: »
    The difference is those guys were great players where as Lingard shouldn't be near utd
    I think this is a little rose tinty if applying it to Lee Sharpe. I loved him back in his heyday but I would also think plenty of young lads thought the same about Lingard 2/3 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Lingard was fortunate to come along at the end of the Fergie era when the team were still winning. He's one of those people who thinks being at a big club makes you a big player. And he's not. Never was. Gets away with it when playing with really good players, but won't ever be a leader, be a winner himself.
    He's our Jason"Trigger" McAteer. Average player. Bit of a class clown.

He needs a nickname.
    I suggest Dougal( Fr Ted)

Lingard was fortunate to come along at the end of the Fergie era when the team were still winning. He's one of those people who thinks being at a big club makes you a big player. And he's not. Never was. Gets away with it when playing with really good players, but won't ever be a leader, be a winner himself.
    He's our Jason"Trigger" McAteer. Average player. Bit of a class clown.

He needs a nickname.
    I suggest Dougal( Fr Ted)

It is as easy to type Jesse or Lingard so no need for a nickname.

He never played a single game under SAF. Played himself into a role at OT by impressing on loan and then impressing both van Gaal and Jose enough for them to select him.

The guy is in terrible form and as others have said due to his choices in terms of profile brings a lot of attention on himself, he will likely be leaving soon and many will be glad because of that attention.

But he has still done well to come through at United in a time many others struggled. He has played an important at important times within his time for United like in an FA cup final and League cup finals, done well for England also. May well have relied too much on those good days since instead of kicking on.

Ultimately he may be below the standard United want to be at and more suited to a FA Cup, League Cup winning side but that is the reality of where United are at in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

It is as easy to type Jesse or Lingard so no need for a nickname.

He never played a single game under SAF. Played himself into a role at OT by impressing on loan and then impressing both van Gaal and Jose enough for them to select him.
    Thought he played before going out on loan. Wasn't unusual to give younger players a couple of games before going out on loan. My mistake. I stand by the rest of my post though.

adox wrote: »
    I’d disagree about Beckham. He was possibly the ultimate circus towards the end of his time at Utd.

He was a great player for us but I was glad when Fergie moved him on. It really was a case him becoming a bigger story than the club and all non football stuff related.

Having said that, we had a squad full of top players at the time so he was easier to lose than a player of his calibre would be now.

I honestly can’t remember a bigger circus around a player than Beckhams latter time at the club.

Yes the media was insane at the time.

I wonder if Beckham fed off the attention and forced himself to hit high standards?

Thought he played before going out on loan. Wasn't unusual to give younger players a couple of games before going out on loan. My mistake. I stand by the rest of my post though.

I think a lot of what you said could/would apply to his current situation rather than his time as a senior team player for United overall.

Lingard is a bit of a prat, but a damned hard worker and gives his all for United.

Clearly needs to be confident to perform though, which has been a problem for too long. He works defensively but goes into hiding offensively and loses his touch when he's off form. At the top level you need to have an acceptable base line and be able to push through bad moments.

I think the criticism he gets is way ott though. At his best he has been a very good performer. Wish he could get back to his top level, cause he was a smart and incisive player, whose movement and decision making were high level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lingard is a bit of a prat, but a damned hard worker and gives his all for United.

Clearly needs to be confident to perform though, which has been a problem for too long. He works defensively but goes into hiding offensively and loses his touch when he's off form. At the top level you need to have an acceptable base line and be able to push through bad moments.

I think the criticism he gets is way ott though. At his best he has been a very good performer. Wish he could get back to his top level, cause he was a smart and incisive player, whose movement and decision making were high level.

My issue with Jesse is that when United are playing well, he’s playing well too... when we are not, he goes missing. For me I don’t just think he has the quality to take a game by the scruff of the neck, influence it, dictate play and MAKE something happen. A good decent player, not a brilliant player, a squad player not an automatic starter. Always gives his all but he needs the team to be purring around him in order to get the best out of him. When we are playing well he’s efficient, decisive, does the simple thing well, plays it sensible and plays it simple, without risk much of the time...

He not really good enough to be a regular starter but he has been over the last 18 months, too regular.. just needs in terms of a first 11 player to be upgraded... to somebody with more flair, dynamism, pace, skill, trickery and consistency and indeed physicality... he looses out in far too many 50/50 challenges..not his fault there is no lack of effort or desire he just isn’t physical in stature or style...I’ve met him he’s a slip of a fella, quite tiny, nice lad as it happens but his final product be it as a forward or midfielder isn’t all that, upgrade.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nope. He had one good half season. That is all. Stats pretty much bear that out.

He works hard, he runs a lot, but it's so.aimless and pointless most of the time.

He'd have been culled a long time ago or maybe moulded into someone like Park by Ferguson. He's had more than his fair share of chances and doesn't really add an awful lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

There it is for anyone interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He is 28 at the end of the year. He still acts like he is 20.

He should be in around the prime of his career but here we are still waiting..

Cant think of many players that got the chances he has and not taken them.

Name another top club in England or Europe he would get into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He is 28 at the end of the year. He still acts like he is 20.

Cant think of many players that got the chances he has and not taken them.

Name another top club in England or Europe he would get into?

He’s 28, so not going to improve.. he’s around his peak now, the immature stuff on social medial I can or could deal with if he was playing a well, influencing games, results and what not, playing consistently well, but that’s not been the case, nor will it ever.

• Weepsie wrote: »
    Nope. He had one good half season. That is all. Stats pretty much bear that out.

He works hard, he runs a lot, but it's so.aimless and pointless most of the time.

He'd have been culled a long time ago or maybe moulded into someone like Park by Ferguson. He's had more than his fair share of chances and doesn't really add an awful lot

Agree.
    I'm tired of sentiment shown towards repeat underperformance.
    I've seen enough of him in his Utd career to know what to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

This is probably the best he's ever going to be. He's not a very good footballer.

xtal191 wrote: »

The first comment under the YT video summed it up.
    "How does he have this confidence after such a disastrous season"

I find it funny that people say they'd accept his character if he was a better footballer. Its such a terrible position to take.

• The position for alot of people is that he is not a very good footballer full stop.

The position for alot of people is that he is not a very good footballer full stop.

which is also a stupid position.

Premier League footballer and England International is 'not a very good footballer full stop'

• which is also a stupid position.

Premier League footballer and England International is 'not a very good footballer full stop'

Nah

• Advertisement

I find it funny that people say they'd accept his character if he was a better footballer. Its such a terrible position to take.

While I agree somewhat, if he was banging in goals and assists for the team and playing to a very high level, a lot of what goes on in the backround is forgotten about.

Take Pogba for instance, people think that he hasnt really showed everything for the club, and then they focus on things like his hair and his brand etc. Basically looking for reasons why he hasnt been showing for the club. When he went through the phase where he had been playing extremely well, there was little said about the other stuff.

The position for alot of people is that he is not a very good footballer full stop.

I disagree, he is not a high level footballer, but he is pretty much a decent player, just not someone that should be in the top half of the PL, he is more suited to playing in the lower half or the championship imo.

The thing about Lingard is that he has a very good footballing mind, knows where to run, how to drag players out of positions, can stick to tactics easily. But he just doesnt have the ability to do that at an elite level

I think in fairness, the majority could understand it or put a blind eye to it certainly.

In recent years for a player at United, look at Zlatan.

The perfect cocky footballer that says and does what he wants off the field and backs it up on the field.

Of course he has an ego but you can at least understand he has an ego. Gave it all that off the field but left it all on the field too.

Lingard has an aura about himself, an ego because he's a squad player at Man United.

There is a massive, massive difference.

Lingards biggest problem is that he is a squad level player, at best, that has been relied upon because the level of the team has dropped so massively.

Look back at any succesful United side and there would be a guy like Lingard who was decent, would work hard, run hard and play a tactical role. but they were sub players.

Lingard has been first choice or near it for too long, because players like Sanchez, Mkhitaryan, Di Maria, Depay and others have been disasters or booted out of the club.

It is similar for Pereira. Nowhere near good enough to be first choice for a side that wants to win the league, but as a sub player? Probably fine.

United have developed a horrid history of relying on squad level players to be first choice.

• Trigger wrote: »
    I disagree, he is not a high level footballer, but he is pretty much a decent player, just not someone that should be in the top half of the PL, he is more suited to playing in the lower half or the championship imo.

The thing about Lingard is that he has a very good footballing mind, knows where to run, how to drag players out of positions, can stick to tactics easily. But he just doesnt have the ability to do that at an elite level

That's all well and good.
    However as I said I've watched enough of him to know he's not good enough at Utd. I want him replaced as do alot of people. Enough is enough really.
    Let go of the sentiment that he 'can be a player, he will come good, he has his moments' ect

That's all well and good.
    However as I said I've watched enough of him to know he's not good enough at Utd. I want him replaced as do alot of people. Enough is enough really.
    Let go of the sentiment that he 'can be a player, he will come good, he has his moments' ect

Yeah that's exactly what I just said basically, and agree with that, but it wasnt what you said initially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

xtal191 wrote: »

Great to see all the pressure of his family problems that came out of nowhere seem to be after disapearing again all of a sudden ajd doesn't seem to be carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders.

After the farce of a video he uploaded last summer he hasn't matured at all but rashford seems to learnt from it to some extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

so what if he has a social media profile its the people who care about that that need to take a look at themselves

all this "if he was playing well I wouldn't let it bother me" is weird to me - why let social media bother you one way or another? it's social media its all bullshirt anyway and if he's making a few extra quid off it then so what

it's not his fault if hes a limited player that a club like united has come to rely on as a starter thats on the club and you cant seriously fault a guy for capitalising on that status in this day and age hes a manc born and bred and is making himself some coin so hes not a broke ass once the football dries up

smart guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

so what if he has a social media profile its the people who care about that that need to take a look at themselves

all this "if he was playing well I wouldn't let it bother me" is weird to me - why let social media bother you one way or another? it's social media its all bullshirt anyway and if he's making a few extra quid off it then so what

it's not his fault if hes a limited player that a club like united has come to rely on as a starter thats on the club and you cant seriously fault a guy for capitalising on that status in this day and age hes a manc born and bred and is making himself some coin so hes not a broke ass once the football dries up

smart guy

I’m a soccer fan and a man united fan. I’m not on social media platforms so only really ever hear about it on this forum or from rival fans when they are mocking Pogba or Lingaard.

It really is quite simple, if you court attention you will get it, you can’t demand to only get positive attention. Pogba and Lingaard (and becks etc) looked to cash in on their fame which definitely has worked agaisnt them at times. Can anybody say with certainty that this online crap doesn’t drain the players or take their focus or energies off their game?

It doesn’t matter if you think “it shouldn’t” cause drama or issues , the fact is that it does cause problems as both players have had to address these things before. Pogba even fell foul of Jose because he posted stupid crap of him laughing and having fun at a game we lost. These things don’t happen if the players act like adults and take their main profession seriously.

If a player is performing well, they get away with more things. That’s just football. Anybody who has ever played the game even in a pub team knows certain players get away with crap others don’t. So why would that be any different for players who are demanding more attention and getting bad attention when their form falls flat? Ask Roy Keane what you can get away with at United under SAF and what you won’t get away with once you are past your best.

So it really shouldn’t surprise anybody the kind of abuse Lingaard is getting. Most of us are fans of the club and only have an interest in the club doing well. When it’s not doing well we don’t want to see or hear about players side jobs because I don’t see that as a help in any capacity to a footballer trying to help their club.

As somebody said, when you have a character like Zlatan who regularly puts in a performance to match their mouth, it becomes amusing and actually endearing. It becomes the opposite on players who aren’t consistantly helping the club get back to the top partially because it doesn’t feel earned.

It’s funny that many people preferred Paul scholes when he didn’t speak to the press (before punditry). It’s the same thing really, many people like players who just do their job well and get on with it. It’s part of the reason Scott McTominey is so popular, so again why is it a surprise to anybody that Lingaard is getting so much negative press?

• Trigger wrote: »
    Yeah that's exactly what I just said basically, and agree with that, but it wasnt what you said initially.

Yes it is

See my first post discussing underperformance

Yes it is

See my first post discussing underperformance

But you followed it up with this post which is what we were replying to.

Its categorically wrong to state that he is "not a very good footballer full stop"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement