Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greece this summer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Oh holding out for Sept :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

If Harris gets his way with the 14 day mandatory quarantine into law would anyone care to speculate how long that it will last for. Could we reach September and still be effectively prisoners here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

If Harris gets his way with the 14 day mandatory quarantine into law would anyone care to speculate how long that it will last for. Could we reach September and still be effectively prisoners here?

Looks like Harris will get his way so unless you can quarantine for 14 days when you get home sun holidays won’t be happening anytime soon , this year even

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Looks like Harris will get his way so unless you can quarantine for 14 days when you get home sun holidays won’t be happening anytime soon , this year even

Thus killing the Irish tourist industry into the bargain. Surely that can’t be indefinitely though?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Dovies wrote: »
    Oh holding out for Sept :)

We were hoping to go in September ourselves but we've decided to hold out until next year.

• Advertisement

Kablamo! wrote: »
    We were hoping to go in September ourselves but we've decided to hold out until next year.

What’ll have changed next year though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

LuasSimon wrote: »

How will they even police that though?

It'll be as much as "quarantine" as we had a "lockdown"

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

What’ll have changed next year though?

Hopefully they restrictions will have relaxed a bit more. Just thinking of the general atmosphere to be honest, sitting having a glass of wine in a taverna without being fearful of people being too close to you etc.
    We were planning on visiting a few islands too, I imagine the people there will be more on edge.
    This is all just my personal opinion, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Kablamo! wrote: »

We have flights and a villa booked (Airbnb) so I can't cancel - don't want to anyway. So hoping it still goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭josip

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    How will they even police that though?

"Neighbourhood watch" would enforce a lot.
    Most Irish people would be reluctant to flout the rules if there were neighbours working on the front line for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Looks like Harris has got his way. You are going to have to sign a legal document in Dublin airport, give over your address details and contact phone number and legally declare you will quarantine for 14 days. The new rules start Monday. The penalties available to the courts are a fine up to 2,500 euro and up to six months in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Looks like Harris has got his way. You are going to have to sign a legal document in Dublin airport, give over your address details and contact phone number and legally declare you will quarantine for 14 days. The new rules start Monday. The penalties available to the courts are a fine up to 2,500 euro and up to six months in prison.

I will sign it Simon Harris

I will sign it Simon Harris

Review on 18th June though?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,708 ✭✭✭✭listermint

josip wrote: »
    For anyone planning to go to Greece this year, Ireland is still on the naughty list, so no travel possible before July 1st or possibly July 15th.

https://greece.greekreporter.com/2020/05/21/greece-releases-list-of-first-20-nations-that-can-send-tourists-to-the-country/

That'll be our open borders with the UK..

listermint wrote: »
    That'll be our open borders with the UK..

That'll be the amount of countries that still think "ROI = part of UK"

Many, many travelers I've met in several countries have presumed this and it wouldn't surprise me if this extended upto higher levels of decision makers

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Mr Harris said self-isolation is not a legal requirement at the moment but is "strongly advised" by the Government

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0522/1140009-travel-to-ireland/

As it stands it looks like we will just have to complete the form, but no requirement to self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 citycentral1

I have non refundable ticket to Crete with Aegean Airlines on July 3rd for a 2 week holiday, Greece is opening up tourism on 1st July!! The airline wont refund me. They offer me a change of date until April 30th 2021 but that does not suit me as I am getting married in April. I am holding out HOPING they will extend this date so I could travel June/July next year.
    If I was to travel I could isolate for 14 days when I return but as I live in Galway would I even be allowed to travel to Dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

We have flights to Crete on 30th August, and deposit paid on a hotel, which is refundable up to 3 weeks before travel. As much as I love Greece, I'm not keen on going this year, I would prefer to change the flights until next year (though a refund would be even better, but that won't happen with Ryanair).

Ireland is starting to do my head in so I'm thinking 3 months in Greece from around mid August. By then we should all have a better idea of what travel is like around the EU and beyond

I'd absolutely love to do Santorini but it looks pricey to stay there too long. So for the majority of my stay I need budget friendly places/islands, but that don't have too much of the clichéd Brits/Irish On Tour you get in Benidorm etc

A few days in Athens to start maybe? Rhodes? (it looks very reasonable price wise for accommodation. But is it Brits/Irish On Tour?)

I need some infrastructure so nothing too Man Friday ;-)

Open to suggestions. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ireland is starting to do my head in so I'm thinking 3 months in Greece from around mid August. By then we should all have a better idea of what travel is like around the EU and beyond

I'd absolutely love to do Santorini but it looks pricey to stay there too long. So for the majority of my stay I need budget friendly places/islands, but that don't have too much of the clichéd Brits/Irish On Tour you get in Benidorm etc

A few days in Athens to start maybe? Rhodes? (it looks very reasonable price wise for accommodation. But is it Brits/Irish On Tour?)

I need some infrastructure so nothing too Man Friday ;-)

Open to suggestions. Thanks

Naxos / Paros

Easy to get to. Cheaper accommodation and lots of sea links to most of the Islands and the mainland daily. Internet is pretty ok too. Great beaches. Lots of places to eat both in the main port/town and other small towns. Moped accessible for the whole Island too.

Cons: People are a little strange..but aren't all Islanders...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd second Naxos/Paros.
    We've stayed twice here, very nice and family run for the 2nd generation
    https://www.booking.com/hotel/gr/agios-prokopios.html

Santorini is not as expensive if you can find accommodation away from the crater and you can quad bike there in the evenings.

After some very close calls on mopeds and bikes in Vietnam some years back I'm 100% swore off them

Are Naxos/Paros and the outskirts of Santorini navigable with taxis/Grab/Uber etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Naxos 100%, great value to be had there, especially come September. Santorini is very doable once you stay over the Perissa side of the Island. Good bus connection over and back to Fira which are usually wedged but should be grand this year given Americans won’t be there en masse. We’re supposed to be in Naxos June 27th for two weeks. Aegean cancelled our flights last weekend - not too happy getting a voucher but it’s valid for 18 months and if not used you can claim a refund at that point, apparently. I’d booked flights from Athens to Naxos on a separate ticket but no joy so far getting voucher for these, notwithstanding we can’t actually get to Athens.

After some very close calls on mopeds and bikes in Vietnam some years back I'm 100% swore off them

Are Naxos/Paros and the outskirts of Santorini navigable with taxis/Grab/Uber etc?

Naxos/Paros are very much on the outskirts of Santorini. They are about 3 hours and 4 hours away (I think respectively on Blue Star) from Santorini... different Islands.

Quieter than Santorini but easy to access through Hi-Speed or Blue Star Ferries.

My favourite place is Naxos.... Mopeds not such a big thing, car hire can be done by the day for around 20 euro (be careful of them charging for tyres though)..

Have fun.. I hope to be there in September/October.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

With the easing of restrictions, I assume its possible to hop on a flight to greece from the 25th July?

ebayissues wrote: »
    With the easing of restrictions, I assume its possible to hop on a flight to greece from the 25th July?

If you can get a flight from Ireland. Aer Lingus only operate three flights a week in “normal” times. Aegean operate a couple of times a week also. Not sure who else from Ireland.

In more recent times I have been using Lufthansa with quick layovers in either Frankfurt or Munich for Athens from Dublin. BA keep loosing my luggage so I avoid them like the plague and the crap of security in Heathrow,,,,(dont get me started)

Having spoken to friends in Greece, they think the summer season is going ahead as usual......I’m not so sure that will happen personally.

NSAman wrote: »
    Heathrow

Strong contender for worst airport in the world. The layout and organization is horrendous

Strong contender for worst airport in the world. The layout and organization is horrendous

It is the attitude that I personally hate. This passive/agressive crap that they all seem to be trained in.... infuriating in the extreme, hence I NEVER use it unless there is no other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

It is the attitude that I personally hate. This passive/agressive crap that they all seem to be trained in

I've noticed this as well. I'd prefer they say nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

If you can get a flight from Ireland. Aer Lingus only operate three flights a week in “normal” times. Aegean operate a couple of times a week also. Not sure who else from Ireland.

In more recent times I have been using Lufthansa with quick layovers in either Frankfurt or Munich for Athens from Dublin. BA keep loosing my luggage so I avoid them like the plague and the crap of security in Heathrow,,,,(dont get me started)

Having spoken to friends in Greece, they think the summer season is going ahead as usual......I’m not so sure that will happen personally.

Thanks - just booked flights going through Luton through wizz-air...wondering if it'll get cancelled.

Advertisement