Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been on a flight in these COVID-19 times?

Options
  • 30-04-2020 6:22pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ryanair are still running a return flight to LGW every day along with other routes and obviously there has been repatriation and PPE flights.

Has anyone been on a flight and if so what was it like?

Assume they have very few people on board and the airport is like a ghost town?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

yeah id like to know this too

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Zelka

On one of the last flights from Texas and then New York. Sureal of course as much space as you needed to stretch out, t
    Told there would not be any meals so filled up but in fact the usual meals arrived Lots of spare blankets . Most comfortable flight ever. On flight from Texas someone asked "Why were we told to all sit so close as there was plenty of room to spread out ." reply"its just for balance during take off then you can sit where you want" Then we did sit far apart. Arrivied into empty Dublin airport. I used to work in the airport a long time ago and saw it quite in early morning shifts never as quite as this. Had been in quarantine much of the time before flight so had not much contact with others. It really brought it home to me as I came home,but there was a taxi. and we have all been well here since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

There has just been a report on BBC radio Ulster about an Aer Lingus flight from Belfast to Heathrow this morning and it was very full.

No distancing and few precautions taken listening to the report. Some passengers are very unhappy.

Badly needed revenue for aer lingus.
    Social distancing is of secondary importance by a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

There has just been a report on BBC radio Ulster about an Aer Lingus flight from Belfast to Heathrow this morning and it was very full.

No distancing and few precautions taken listening to the report. Some passengers are very unhappy.

Passengers unhappy that there were other passengers. Amazing.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

This is the Belfast to LHR flight this morning, the airline has made a statement saying they are investigating...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmoss

On Sunday I am flying from Dublin to Edinburgh by Ryanair for my mother's funeral. I had assumed, maybe naively, that social distancing and limited passenger numbers would be enforced. Has anyone flown on any Ryanair UK flights in the past few weeks? - surely they are not all like the Aer Lingus Belfast- Heathrow reported at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Fly at your own risk.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

dmoss wrote: »
    Has anyone flown on any Ryanair UK flights in the past few weeks? - surely they are not all like the Aer Lingus Belfast- Heathrow reported at the weekend.

Ryanair boss says airline won't fly with 'idiotic' social distancing rules

Only anecdotal evidence but I believe that the Ryanair flights are just as booked as the Aer Lingus ones are. If they were to introduce distancing then the flight may be a loss and they just wouldn't bother flying in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ponster wrote: »
    Ryanair boss says airline won't fly with 'idiotic' social distancing rules

Only anecdotal evidence but I believe that the Ryanair flights are just as booked as the Aer Lingus ones are. If they were to introduce distancing then the flight may be a loss and they just wouldn't bother flying in the first place.

Leaving the middle seat empty is no good for social distancing. To properly implement on a plane only about a 1/3rd of the seats could be used, look at the busses and trams for social distancing ,and theres no way an airline will be visible with that loading.

Wear a mask or don't fly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

dmoss wrote: »
    On Sunday I am flying from Dublin to Edinburgh by Ryanair for my mother's funeral. I had assumed, maybe naively, that social distancing and limited passenger numbers would be enforced. Has anyone flown on any Ryanair UK flights in the past few weeks? - surely they are not all like the Aer Lingus Belfast- Heathrow reported at the weekend.

sorry for your loss.

if you do remember can you let us know how the flight goes,if anything is said,etc, obviously under the circumstances i totally understand if you cant,etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Del2005 wrote: »
    Leaving the middle seat empty is no good for social distancing. To properly implement on a plane only about a 1/3rd of the seats could be used, look at the busses and trams for social distancing ,and theres no way an airline will be visible with that loading.

Wear a mask or don't fly.

a mask is no good if others arent wearing them. To be properly protected you need a mask a eye protection and thats still open to debate if others arent wearing any

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    a mask is no good if others arent wearing them. To be properly protected you need a mask a eye protection and thats still open to debate if others arent wearing any

The mask is to stop you spreading it not to stop you catching it, which is why masks will be compulsory on public transport. It's better than taking the temperature of passengers since the majority of people with the virus show no symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmoss

jonnny68 wrote: »
    sorry for your loss.

if you do remember can you let us know how the flight goes,if anything is said,etc, obviously under the circumstances i totally understand if you cant,etc.

The whole experience was surreal but the flights were actually ok.

I flew out of Dublin on Sunday, Ryanair to Edinburgh, of course the airport was largely deserted, nothing open. At the gate two immigration guards checked passports and recorded details, no questions asked on why I was flying and no request to remove masks. There were only 15 of us on the flight so no problem with distancing. At Edinburgh no checks just a couple of airport police at the exit.

Flew back on Tuesday pm from Glasgow, this time only 12 on the flight. Had to complete a Public Health Passenger Locator Form and handed it in at Dublin passport control, apart from a reminder that I have to self isolate for the next 14 days there were no other questions.

Had a phone call this morning from an officer at Dublin Airport asking if I was self isolating and so far that has been it, they may do spot checks to make sure I am at home.

I know Ryanair often get a slagging on these forums but I have to say if it wasn't for them maintaining their restricted emergency flight service I might not have got back for my Mam's funeral and for that I am very grateful to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Talking to a pilot and he said flying these planes without people it's like flying a plastic bag, totally different feel for take off and particularly for landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I flew back from EWR late March. There was a 1/3 load, mainly Irish trying to get home. Every 3rd row was empty so after takeoff we were told we could sit wherever we liked.

Drinks and dinner were served, no announcements apart from the usual *don't congregate in the aisles or at the lavatories* . I don't recall seeing anyone with masks or gloves although lots of people were using wipes on their tray tables, armrests etc.

It was the first flight into DUB on a Saturday morning and it was eerily empty. Usual questions from Passport Control. At the exit to baggage claim, there were some people in yellow shirts (Dept of Health?) handing out flyers. Arrivals hall was empty.

No taxis at the rank - had to wait approx 15 minutes.

Advertisement