Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Bang Theory

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

All in the family was the first back in 1971. It announced it at the end. At least that’s what the internet says :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Elmo wrote: »
    I’d say almost all sitcoms had that disclaimer, don’t think cheers was the first, fairly certain Taxi and The Mary Tyler Moore show had that disclaimer. But I could be wrong????
    I didn't say it was the first. :confused:
    I just gave an example of a sitcom where it was stated verbally at the start of every episode.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The disclaimer was inserted because, in the era immediately prior to it being used, canned laughter was commonly used, at least in the US. Nowadays the technique is virtually dead except for some children’s sitcoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Posy wrote: »
    I didn't say it was the first. :confused:
    I just gave an example of a sitcom where it was stated verbally at the start of every episode.

Sorry, misunderstood you when you said, They had to put the disclaimer in because of complaints, which is odd as it was common place.

I would have thought that it was common enough for sitcoms to be filmed in front of a live audience and to have the disclaimer.

Perhaps 60s sitcoms had decided against it with The Brady Bunch, Get Smart and the monkeys all having canned laughter but almost all 70s 80s 90s sitcoms were film in front of a live studio audience, M*A*S*H being one major exception. And the first few episodes of Happy Days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Looks like it's still needed, since people on this thread are still not sure if a show today has canned laughter or an audience! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement