Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upping my audio game

• 09-09-2020 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

So Logitech G933.. Disappointed when I got them but realised I got a duff set, replaced, all happy since. But 'they' say if the manufacturer of your headset also makes keyboards then it's probably sh*t so I've been looking to upgrade.

Open backed have loads of possibilities but I've had to ignore them. Living in Australia in the summer I've 2 mad fans blowing, my pc sounds like a tornado during heavy gaming, summer storms. They just will let too much noise in.

So closed backs....

Beyerdynamics DT770 or an MMX300r

Sennheisser GSP600 (this is firmly a gaming headset although the brand is awesome)

Hyper x Orbit: Probs too much unless they're the most amazing things ever?

Audeze Penrose: Super interesting wireless headset which will the tech the Orbits is made with (Audeze also has the Mobius but more expensive still than the Orbits)

Anyone else move away from the traditional headset manufacturers? Anyone got experience with the above headsets? I find myself drifting back to the GSP600 just because it'll be convenient but I'm hoping the gamery design isn't sacrificing audio fidelity as a result.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Comments

Get the DT770's 32ohm version. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Get the DT770's 32ohm version. Job done.

How do you find them vs traditional gaming headsets? Is there a genuine difference?

I've since sold them and gotten DT1990 Pro's but they were amazing. I did run them through my amp/dac but the 32ohm can be driven by a potato. Yea, they sound great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

AKG K371 also worth a look for closed back, for the £100ish region its def between K371 or DT770 imo, cant go wrong with either

https://medium.com/@Xander51/headphone-showdown-akg-k371-vs-beyerdynamic-dt770-pro-e9692006272

I have the K371's but i prefered the Beyer's for gaming. Headphones are very subjective though so try them out if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I've since sold them and gotten DT1990 Pro's but they were amazing. I did run them through my amp/dac but the 32ohm can be driven by a potato. Yea, they sound great.

Yeah also had the DT770s, they offered great sound. Up until covid they were my office headphones as they tended to block out a lot of exterior noise. Currently using Sennheiser hd 600s.

Yeah if there's one thing I'm finding is the variation on opinion on one headphone can be wide. I think I'll perhaps stick with 770s which will work a modmic into the budget easier. Cheers everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

I use my Sony Wh-1000xm3 on my pc. Incredibly good headphones. Super comfy with great audio quality and brilliant battery. Cheaper now that the xm4 are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

I use my Sony Wh-1000xm3 on my pc. Incredibly good headphones. Super comfy with great audio quality and brilliant battery. Cheaper now that the xm4 are out.

Great for what they are, bluetooth noise cancelling headphones but don't come close to DT770 or K371 for sound quality imo, especially since they're almost double the price.

So I just went and bought the DT770 80 ohm and I definitely like them. The sound is cleaner I guess is the best way to describe it but I don't think my b450 Tomohawk is good enough on it's own and it's maybe just a bit too quiet in game. Like I used to have my audio set to 70 but the dt770 with the volume sliders set at max feels like about 60 of the G933s.

I'll take a look at getting an amp to go along with it and I assume that'll give it more heft?

• Advertisement

So I just went and bought the DT770 80 ohm and I definitely like them. The sound is cleaner I guess is the best way to describe it but I don't think my b450 Tomohawk is good enough on it's own and it's maybe just a bit too quiet in game. Like I used to have my audio set to 70 but the dt770 with the volume sliders set at max feels like about 60 of the G933s.

I'll take a look at getting an amp to go along with it and I assume that'll give it more heft?

Yup. I use a Fiio K5 Pro or my Sound Blaster G6. Really makes headphones shine.

Yup. I use a Fiio K5 Pro or my Sound Blaster G6. Really makes headphones shine.

Ah cool. G6 looks like it'll be the best choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Forget headphones Logitech Z5500 driven by a bitchin' soundcard.

Forget headphones Logitech Z5500 driven by a bitchin' soundcard.

I own a 5.1 Logitech system as well but for FPS games they just don't work. No probs playing open world stuff etc with them though.

xtal191 wrote: »
    Great for what they are, bluetooth noise cancelling headphones but don't come close to DT770 or K371 for sound quality imo, especially since they're almost double the price.

I have a pair and love the sound of them once you EQ them a bit.
    Granted i wouldn't use them for PC though. Just music on the go.

Yes....i have a headphone addiction.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Ah cool. G6 looks like it'll be the best choice.

several of us have bought the B stock version without any issues

https://en.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock#buy-menu

Skerries wrote: »

Oh that's great value but unfortunately being on the other side of the world it's a no go for me.

Now that I've spent the rest of the day playing my ears have tuned to them better and they don't appear as quiet any more or rather I don't notice it as such.. It's a more subtle but detailed sound. Super comfy to wear as well. Good stuff. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Skerries wrote: »

Did Creative ever sort out their drivers? Horrible experiences with previous Soundblaster cards caused me to not even consider them when I upgraded my audio setup last year.

The G6 has dedicated software to really get the most out of them. Sound Blaster Connect 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

I own a 5.1 Logitech system as well but for FPS games they just don't work. No probs playing open world stuff etc with them though.

mine works great with FPS games. can localise sounds in game from them. i think the difference may be the pci-e soundcard vs onboards sound

• Advertisement

mine works great with FPS games. can localise sounds in game from them. i think the difference may be the pci-e soundcard vs onboards sound

Maybe it's different with 7.1 but I've always found the soundstage? to be too wide with speakers and far to easy to miss subtle sounds. We might just have to agree to disagree on it :)

Bejaysus the G6 gives the DT770 a proper kick. The bass is like a smack in the face, it's wonderful.

Excellent. It's amazing what a good amp/dac can do to your audio experience. Enjoy.

Advertisement