Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity shop for Household Items

Options
  • 07-02-2020 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

We've just moved in to a new (old) house and the previous owner has left certain things that although we were glad of originally, we're now replacing with our own items to our taste.

I hate the thoughts of just dumping things, so can anyone recommend a charity shop that might take the following;

- curtains
    - wardrobes
    - bathroom furniture (by this I mean like mirrors, shelving/storage units etc, not the actual toilet)

We're not looking to get rid of junk, they're fine functional items, but we're just making the place our own.

Any recommendations welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think it was svp that took our stuff, rang them and they sent a van.

Not sure how they are on fabric furniture, ours was wardrobes, chest of drawers, desk etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Thanks both.

maybe I need to treat the curtains and soft furnishing items separately.

Does anyone know if any of the (many) charity shops in Dun Laoghaire would take them if I dropped them in myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I put curtains into the clothes bank.

I think shenallagh (sp) is close to you, it seems to take alot of stuff... There's another amenity place too, can't think of the name off hand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

A ”take for free” in Adverts will make it go quick.

But adding a nominal charge like 5euros will help ensure it goes to someone who really wants it.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Age Action have a big warehouse in Ballyfermot and take furniture

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SozBbz wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any of the (many) charity shops in Dun Laoghaire would take them if I dropped them in myself?
    Possibly not. They might not be set up to take stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Victor wrote: »
    Possibly not. They might not be set up to take stuff in.
    Yeah, its common to hear of these shops complaining about unwanted stuff. I imagine you could take photos and email them in advance.

The nominal charge on adverts is a good idea, you could also say the money will be donated to charity and the reason you are doing this.

You hear of gangs nicking those charity bags or putting out bogus bags and dumping good stuff and only hanging onto stuff they know will get a bit of more decent cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Try a local free cycle page on facebook, their also a free section on adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Stick it on Done Deal or Gumtree as free.

Advertisement