Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it like living in Limerick?

Options
  • 12-02-2020 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Vague question but just wondering what the advantages are, disadvantages

What's the nightlife like?

Is it generally safe to walk at night?

Is there much of a dating scene when you're older than 30?

Where are the best places to live? Worst?

I've seen apartments for sale in the city which seem good value. I like how the traffic isn't bad and you can access the west of Ireland/ Shannon airport really easily. Most people i've chatted with are salt of the earth and pretty sound

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

What's the nightlife like?

Is it generally safe to walk at night?

Is there much of a dating scene when you're older than 30?

Where are the best places to live? Worst?

I've seen apartments for sale in the city which seem good value. I like how the traffic isn't bad and you can access the west of Ireland/ Shannon airport really easily. Most people i've chatted with are salt of the earth and pretty sound

Where are you from originally? Probably easier to compare a few items against there for comparison.

Nightlife is generally decent enough, you have denmark st and surrounds for the big bars and nightclubs but more recently a lot of more upmarket bars, wine bars cocktail bars etc popping up around O'Connell st for quieter nights if you want that which is good, i would say Friday & sat would be decent and busy but id say during the week would be quiet enough (apart from student places).

Town would generally be safe enough at night, ive only really been around the main areas, cant really comment on the quieter sides, im sure standard enough for any other city in Ireland, baring in mind "town" to me would stretch from St Mary's Cathedral, down to the Clayton Hotel and back to beyond the train station which encompases quite a large area.

Best or worst places to live is a very general comment, where will you be working?

The city is divided into 3 main suburbs, caherdavin and the northside, raheen/Dooradoyle and castletroy. Then theres the city centre and surrounding inner city estates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

It has a good pub scene at night if you are into late bars etc but the nightlife wouldnt really be up to much , depends really what you want, Dolans has a great live music scene if that's your bag.

The nightclubs in general are just really extensions of the bars and besides Dolans no one else is really offering anything besides DJ jonnie disco playing chart.

Great opportunities coming in the pharma sector over the next 5 years and some great education options if you want to further yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Big improvements in nightlife over the last 5 years. Decent variety now in mainstream spots like 101, house, copper rooms etc. More alternative scene in pharmacia, commercial, Charlie Malone's, Dolan's for gigs etc.
    Restaurant scene probably middling. At best, on a par with cork, Galway.
    I wouldn't be a tinder expert but limerick is not huge so you could find yourself increasing search radius soon enough!
    Limerick is very walkable if you live close to the city center. Ennis road area, south circular road area, city center itself would be best in my opinion. I find the city quite safe at any hour. Others may not agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

What's the nightlife like? Improved alot in the last 5+ years. Some really good bars, bit of variety, but not much in the way of clubbing (that's probably reflective of that industry in general though). Overall the nightlife is not far off Galway/Cork I would say.

Is it generally safe to walk at night? Yes. Contrary to the myths perpetrated by the mainstream media, Limerick is very safe. Generally, if you don't go looking for trouble, you won't find it. Much less homeless/beggars/junkies (not that I equate all of them as equals!) in Limerick compared to Dublin or Cork.

Is there much of a dating scene when you're older than 30? Being in a relationship, I can't really comment.

Where are the best places to live? Worst? Probably depends on where you're working. If in the city, then somewhere along O'Callaghan Strand or Clancy Strand would be ideal (but costly). Castletroy is a nice area with good amenities, but traffic is a nightmare.

I've seen apartments for sale in the city which seem good value. I like how the traffic isn't bad and you can access the west of Ireland/ Shannon airport really easily. Most people i've chatted with are salt of the earth and pretty sound I concur, we're all sound!
    Hope they answer your queries!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nobody has even mentioned Costello's - they certainly dont do DJ Johnnie Disco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Mc Love wrote: »
    Nobody has even mentioned Costello's - they certainly dont do DJ Johnnie Disco

Let's be straight. It's a kip. Was good once upon a time, and no business going in there if you're over 30 these days. I think about it, and I get a whiff of vomit, piss, and beer mixed together.

definitely much better options but just putting it out there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Granadino wrote: »
    a whiff of vomit, piss, and beer mixed together.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭geotrig

I've even heard murmurings that unesco were looking to add it to their list !:p

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

Thanks a lot for the replies - I'm looking at house shares around south city - sexton street and lord edward street and then one over near to castletroy, any ideas. Have heard about limerick gangsters all over the place hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Thanks a lot for the replies - I'm looking at house shares around south city - sexton street and lord edward street and then one over near to castletroy, any ideas. Have heard about limerick gangsters all over the place hahaha

What you heard was about 15 years ago................. comments like that just annoy Limerick people as the D4 media keeps spinning it

Limerick is the same as any city, mind your own business, be street smart and no one will bother you.

And never ever park illegally on William Street that is a paddling offence....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Nightlife was grand.

Safe for me to walk at night in normal areas. Wouldn't expect women to. Dunno if dangerous or not. It's easy enough to avoid hassle in my experience.

I found the dating scene to be good when I was a male in my thirties. Don't know how it is for females in their thirties. Possibly bad, or I'm hotter than I think I am. I think there are more women than men though.

Lots of nice places to live. Catletroy, annacotty, murroe, cappamore are all very nice but there are loads of other nice places.

Public transport is ****. You need a car unless you want to live beside where you work and not go off the beaten track.

You don't need a car, unless you're going to anywhere above 5km

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Same as any city really..born and bred in limk and never encountered anything .. you'll see the young wans in town thinking they are gangsters but they generally keep to themselves

Would choose castletroy side rather than Sexton st / lord Edward street..not the greatest areas at night imo, but beware of sh1t student accommodation in castletroy. Also castletroy is served by a much better bus service and plenty of shops / restaurants / pubs / facilities.
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

You don't need a car, unless you're going to anywhere above 5km

. . .and you're fit, healthy and free from disability.

Comhra wrote: »
    . . .and you're fit, healthy and free from disability.

Being disabled isnt a barrier to cycling

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/jan/02/cambridge-disabled-people-cycling-rolling-walking-stick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Don't be so smug. You know full well there are many people with ailments who can't cycle even if they wanted to. Your attitude is so gratuitous.

Comhra wrote: »
    Don't be so smug. You know full well there are many people with ailments who can't cycle even if they wanted to. Your attitude is so gratuitous.

Whatever - and I'm not being smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Same as any city really..born and bred in limk and never encountered anything .. you'll see the young wans in town thinking they are gangsters but they generally keep to themselves

Would choose castletroy side rather than Sexton st / lord Edward street..not the greatest areas at night imo, but beware of sh1t student accommodation in castletroy. Also castletroy is served by a much better bus service and plenty of shops / restaurants / pubs / facilities.
    Hope that helps

I'd venture a little further out for a house share. South Circular road/Ballinacurra would be still within walking distance but much nicer. I did house shares on the SCR for pretty much my 20s bar a stint in Raheen. I loved the SCR area I bought my own place in Ballinacurra a few years ago. I'm living abroad for a few years but the plan is firmly to move back and search for a bigger house in that area to settle in for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Lyan wrote:

Funny........

• Advertisement
Advertisement