Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 Cheltenham Preview Nights

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Anyone take notes from Paddy Power or WH tweets today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerlad

Shemale wrote: »
    Its usually 8pm sharp, get there for 7.30 to grab a pint and good seat. Sit on the extreme right, the bar is right in front of you and thats where the finger food gets left and you arent too far from the panel.

Grub gets dished out on the other side too and there is a bar at the back also which is handy if you need a pint mid gig without disturbing too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerlad

CHELTENHAM PREVIEW EVENING at BANGOR-ON-DEE RACECOURSE

The fifth edition of the Bangor preview took place two hours after racing in front of an audience of 120 and the panel consisted of leading local trainer Donald McCain (DM), commentator and broadcaster, Stewart Machin (SM), Jumping Prospects author, John Morris (JM), Form and Speed Figures analyst Andy Holding (AH) and Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide author Paul Jones (PJ). The M.C. was Darren Owen.

Supreme Novices’ Hurdle
    DM: I don’t think the British are keeping up with Willie Mullins. Good luck to him, he has a system and it works. Douvan all the way. I think Jollyallan should be running in the Neptune.

SM: Of Willie Mullins’ four short-priced favourites on Day 1, Douvan is the one I would look to try and get beat. L’Ami Serge makes most appeal against him. I was really struck by Nicky Henderson’s demeanour after he won the Tolworth. L’Ami Serge is my pick at the prices.

AH: Douvan ticks the boxes on my speed figures for both his starts. He must be a hell of a horse to beat Sizing John by 12l on the bridle. He is a big unit but I think he can be even better of faster ground. L’Ami Serge has also been impressive visually and on the clock and I make it between the pair. Jollyallan has no chance of beating L’Ami Serge on the times they clocked on the same day at Newbury.

JM: Douvan could be exceptional but I don’t like backing shorties. Tell Us More looks a big each-way price at 25/1 as it could be this step back to 2m is what he needs right now. It might be a blessing disguise he was beaten over 2m4f last time. Jollyallan doesn’t jump fast enough.

PJ: We know Douvan will be well backed and it will be McCoy this and McCoy that in the build up so I see Jollyallan also being well backed as well so something has to give and it’s likely to be L’Ami Serge. Given Henderson has had nine top-four finishers in the last eight runnings and he looks the best of the Brits so you would like to think he will be thereabouts again so he is interesting each-way near off time as I think that is when he will be at his biggest price. If Tell Us More runs here, he is the only horse at a double figure price that would interest me.

Arkle Trophy
    DM: Un De Sceaux will be exciting. It might not be pretty though as I don’t think he’s that good over a fence. He is not bomb proof and he has had freebies in Ireland. Vibrato Valtat has been classed as quirky so he knows how to mind himself and that’s no bad thing in the Arkle. The way the race is run should suit and he travels strongly. Josses Hill jumped well at Doncaster when the gun was put to his head so I see him enjoying the strong pace too.

SM: Un De Sceaux is not my kind of price at 4/7. Vibrato Valtat has impressed me more and more as the season progressed and it looked effortless for him at Warwick to go by a 150-rated rival in Top Gamble.

AH: Un De Sceaux was spectacular on the clock at Leopardstown. He should be favourite for the Champion Chase if he was running there. He jumped well last time but he can be a bit hit or miss and the pace he will be going he’ll have to meet everything on the right stride. Vibrato Valtat is the obvious main danger and has Cheltenham chase experience on his side.

JM: Un De Sceaux jumps a bit flat which is my worry. Sgt Reckless is my little dark one. He has only had one chase start but jumped very well and he has some class about him. Henrietta Knight would be overseeing his schooling.

PJ: I am waiting for firms to bet without the favourite and, taking the view the British are not up to a lot, I fancy an Irish 1-2 and looking at Clarcam in this market. He may not have a 5yo allowance but he is a dependable jumper and very professional. I can see Vibrato Valtat chasing Un De Sceaux from 3 out and Clarcam picking up the pieces. Hopefully that’s the way he will ridden as it didn’t work trying to go after Un De Sceaux last time and being ridden for a place and hope to get lucky might be their plan. He will be hard to kick out of the first three.

Champion Hurdle
    DM: The New One should have done it a lot better at Haydock. I have been a big fan of Hurricane Fly but he can’t go on forever and Jezki beat him last year so the door is wide open for Faugheen.

SM: I think Faugheen will win. I was talking with Walsh at Royal Ascot last year and he was telling me he is some machine and jumps so fast. I thought he meant Vautour at first but he was talking about Faugheen. The New One has to put himself right at his hurdles which is a worry.

AH: I timed The New One from the moment he was hampered in last year’s Champion Hurdle and Faugheen from the same point, albeit 24 hours later, and Faugheen was quicker so I have to say he is a faster horse. The New One only won at Haydock as Bertimont raced in the swamp against the far rail. To say Faugheen has beaten nothing is wrong as Blue Heron looked a good winner of the Kingwell. Faugheen is the closest I’ve seen to Istrabraq in that he floats along and also has the power. Jezki each-way is the obvious alternative though I would prefer Geraghty to McCoy on him being 5-5 when he has ridden him.

JM: Faugheen is some tool and can keep on improving. He should win with no mistakes and Arctic Fire is the best each-way value.

PJ: I fancy Jezki to be more of a threat to Faugheen than The New One who is a better horse on the New Course and doesn’t make ground at his hurdles like a Champion Hurdler should. Jezki is much quicker over a flight and looks an obvious each-way bet at 6/1.

Neptune Investment Management Novices’ Hurdle
    DM: No real view but I would have run Jollyallan here and not run Beast Of Burden as he should be in the Albert Bartlett.

SM: Not a race I have a strong opinion on but I’m not sure whether Parlour Games will cut it. Windsor Park would be my tentative selection.

AH: Outlander beat a good field but not in a good time last time out. I’ve not seen too many holes in Nichols Canyon and he won the best trial in a good time. He is a professional and tough off the bridle so I like his attitude. Parlour Games is the best of the British but Challow winners have a bad record. He was very impressive before that off a slow pace but showed he can also slog it at Newbury.

JM: This always goes to a fancied horse. I was really taken by Beast Of Burden when he won here (Bangor) and when I saw him in the summer. Rebecca Curtis likes him a lot.

PJ: Parlour Games won the Challow and all 14 winners to run here were beaten but most get beaten as they find the faster ground compared to Newbury at Christmas too much, but he is a Flat horse so I wouldn’t be put off by that stat if you like him. I just think the Irish are miles better. I fancy Windsor Park can reverse Deloitte form with Nichols Canyon over a longer trip and being put into the race, which he wasn’t at Leopardstown until it was all over.

RSA Chase
    DM: I’d run Coneygree here rather than the Gold Cup. He makes it very uncomfortable for other novices but he won’t be able to do that to top class professionals. I don’t think Mullins will get his way with Gigginstown so expect Don Poli to run here. I’ve been mightily impressed with Kings Palace and think he will improve for better ground. I’ll go with him.

SM: If Coneygree and Kings Palace run it will be like an RSA of old as they just gallop. I think it would be madness to run Coneygree in the Gold Cup. The tempo of race is just different to novice races.

AH: Don Poli all the way if he runs on the speed figures and the strength of his form when he won the Topaz.

JM: Kings Palace’s jumping worries me at the pace they will go. I will go for Coneygree if pressed if he runs as this looks his ideal race.

PJ: Don Poli has plenty of stats to defy if he is to win; 6yo, not run since Christmas, less than three chase starts. But then again the other leading hopes also aren’t perfect on trends. I will back Valseur Lido wherever he turns up but, as we don’t know yet where he, Don Poli, Coneygree or The Young Master will run, I don’t want to commit to the race yet.

Queen Mother Champion Chase
    DM: The way Gary Moore has campaigned Sire De Grugy has been fantastic. They are not scared of trying anything different. Sprinter Sacre was drunk after he won at Punchestown and running at all three spring Festivals looks to have taken its toll on him.

SM: Sire De Grugy won a proper race last time and handicap form is so much more informative than beating three rivals at long odds-on in a pattern race. I was impressed by the way he did it. I couldn’t back Sprinter Sacre though wouldn’t be surprised if he won. Dodging Bullets doesn’t catch my imagination. The Newbury race Mr Mole won fell apart though he would have probably won anyway.

AH: The race of the meeting. I am very strong on Hidden Cyclone who is a massive price at 14/1. He committed too early when second in the Ryanair last year and again at Leopardstown at Christmas and a fast run 2m will be perfect for him if restrained more. However, Sire De Grugy did impress me last time or otherwise I would be even more confident.

JM: I like Hidden Cyclone for a bit of each-way value.

PJ: I think it’s between Champagne Fever and Sire De Grugy though accept that Hidden Cyclone is in a very good place right now. I’m not bothered that Champagne Fever would probably have been beaten by Don Cossack when he fell as I think he will hack up in the Ryanair so that’s top class form. I can’t wait to get stuck into Sire De Grugy to beat Sprinter Sacre at odds against when firms offer match betting. I have doubts that Ascot form is that great anyway and sense Nicholls prefers Mr Mole of his pair.

JLT Novices’ Chase
    Skimmed through it as first half went on longer than planned.

DM: Pass.

SM: Splash Of Ginge each-way value.

AH: Apache Stronghold – I’m keen to oppose Vautour.

JM: Vautour – he’s on my front page cover so have to!

PJ: I will back Valseur Lido wherever he runs. He travels and jumps like a real class act and can reverse with Apache Stronghold as he wasn’t fully tuned up in the Flogas.

Ryanair Chase

DM: I just called Gordon Elliott and asked for what he fancies at the meeting. He gave me two and neither were Don Cossack which means it’s a certainty!!!

SM: I wouldn’t be with Cue Card and Balder Succes has yet to do it at Cheltenham. Don Cossack is priced up right and is the most likely winner. Eduard has been at the satellite yard at Newmarket and would have won the Peterborough Chase but for a mistake. That form is some way removed from this but I can see him running well.

AH: Don Cossack at 4/1 is a good price. I see him starting much shorter. He has come of age this season having been frail off the bridle but he looks really strong in the latter stages now. The time of his win last time was tremendous being over 9 seconds faster than Vroum Vroum Mag who won a Grade 2 which is ridiculous. I am looking for reasons not to back Don Cossack but can’t find any.

JM: Don Cossack is my map of the meeting. He has got it all together now.

PJ: Don Cossack for a clean sweep as I can’t have Cue Card on this season’s performances. His form compared to that of his likely rivals this season is on a different level. Module is the each-way value at 40/1, he’s been crying out for this trip so ignore his two runs before the New Year and he has run well at the last two Cheltenham Festivals.

World Hurdle

DM: Rock On Ruby is probably best at 2m4f. I think Cole Harden has had his wind done since his last run.

SM: I don’t know if Rock On Ruby will stay so I can’t back him. I don’t know how good Saphir Du Rheu is but I do know the price differential between him and Un Temps Pour Tout on Cleeve form is too big.

AH: I could short list half a dozen and still not find the winner it’s that competitive so I’ve chanced a couple each-way at bigger prices in Jetson and Monksland. Jetson’s defeat of Quevega last year was no fluke and he has run well both starts this season which were runs to get him ready for the spring.

JM: Zarkandar is my fancy. He was fourth last year and Nicholls told me in the summer he will be a better horse for this season. Cole Harden could be the each-way value if returning to the form of his Wetherby win.

PJ: I like Zarkandar. He’s a different horse this season in the way he travels and jumps since his wind operation, he loves this New Course and deep down and I fancy Nicholls prefers him to the chasing-type, Saphir Du Rheu. Only beaten 8l last year in a better race off the back of a poor season last year, this is weaker and he is in far better form.

Triumph Hurdle

DM: I ran Starchitect against Peace And Co and he annihilated us. Then I ran him against Hargam and he was not as impressive but beat us well in a nice relaxed fashion so he might be the one better suited to the demands of the Festival.

SM: I was very impressed with Top Notch’s hurdling at Haydock. The stiffer track and extra furlong worries for me for Beltor who pulled at Kempton. He will be hard to beat at Aintree.

AH: Nothing impressed on the clock until Petite Parisienne won at Leopardstown in a race that has featured the last three Triumph winners. I’ve backed Hargam and I can see his form lines being franked in the Fred Winter. I like the fact he has twice run at Cheltenham and he put up a better time than The New One overall and on the sectionals there in December.

JM: I was impressed by Beltor at Ludlow and that form has been franked and was impressed again with him at Kempton. Dicosimo took off in the final furlong on his debut for Mullins and looks the best of the Irish.

PJ: Like everyone else I was very impressed by Peace And Co at Doncaster but the more I think about it, he is a short price for a buzzy horse, especially on Gold Cup Day where the atmosphere will be at its height during the week. Karezak is the type to place again but I am warming to Top Notch who just looks like the ultra professional for 4yos and the longer trip will be in his favour.

Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle

Again, this was skimmed through sharpish.

DM: Beast Of Burden should be running here, not the Neptune.

SM: Value At Risk has solid form and should relish the step up in trip.

AH: It’s been a while since we saw Black Hercules which is unlike Mullins.

JM: No real view

PJ: Value At Risk is bred to really improve for the step up in trip and 12/1 represents excellent each-way value.

Gold Cup

DM: I would love to see Many Clouds win and he has his chance. McCoy couldn’t wait to me at Kelso he was impressed with Holywell which is unlike him. He doesn’t say these things for nothing. I think he was very taken with him.

SM: I am still unconvinced Silviniaco Conti will come up the hill even if he is a better horse this season. My two against the field are Djakadam, who this might come a year too early but has so much potential, and The Giant Bolster each-way. There is no reason why he can’t place again.

AH: Holywell has the best profile. He is 2/2 at the Festival, comes alive in the spring and when fitted with blinkers and his Aintree form from last season is the best in the race. If McCoy had the choice I think he would ride him and not Carlingford Lough.

JM: Road To Riches and Holywell are my two against the field. Road To Riches is improving and consistent so just give him the edge. This has never quite been Silviniaco Conti’s course and that worries me.

PJ: Boston Bob is too big at 25/1 and worth an each-way bet. He’s a stayer who has never run over the Gold Cup trip so I am expecting him to improve for that and he is a spring horse to boot who will enjoy faster ground. Don’t forget he might have beaten Lord Windermere when he fell at the last when leading the RSA. Looking for a back up selection, if the ground is on the easy side then Many Clouds is a hard horse to pass as he really wants it and it if was good ground, then I would favour Holywell.

Naps:

DM: The Young Master (if runs in NH Chase)

SM: Faugheen (Champion Hurdle)

AH: Hidden Cyclone (Champion Chase)

JM: Don Cossack (Ryanair)

PJ: Ned Stark (Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase)
    ­

CHELTENHAM PREVIEW EVENING at WARWICK RACECOURSE

Moving from a lunchtime preview before racing to a dedicated evening helped to bring to a larger crowd made up mainly of racecourse members. The panel consisted of Jamie Moore (JM), Oliver Sherwood (OS), RacingUK pundit and county cricketer Will Smith (WS), Trevor Harris (TH) of the sponsors, Star Sports, and Cheltenham Festival Betting Guide author, Paul Jones (PJ), whose views did not deviate in the 24 hours since we reported on his comments from Bangor so there is no need for a repetition. The M.C. was Roger Hart (RH) who is connected to Jonjo O’Neill’s stable where he runs their stable tours.

Supreme Novices’ Hurdle

JM: L’Ami Serge stuffed Violet Dancer and Kilcooley at Newbury and look at what they have done since. He smashed them up. To do that to battle-hardened handicappers will stand him in good stead.

OS: I always have evening dinner with Willie Mullins on Wednesday so he had better have a good first day! I do think that 7/4 is tight about Douvan though and L’Ami Serge offers better value. The vibes in the Lambourn valley are strong about him.

WS: I have to take on Douvan at the price as it’s a real cauldron in the first race and I would prefer a more battle-hardened horse. Shaneshill has Festival form when second in the Bumper last year and he is an each-way suggestion at around 16/1.

TH: Do you want to take 7/4 about a horse you’ve never seen come off the bridle? He is priced up on reputation. As a bookmaker we have to take him on.

Arkle Trophy

JM: The only way Un De Sceaux gets turned over is if he turns over. He is unbeatable with a clear round. Top Gamble is a good horse and Vibrato Valtat made him look very moderate last time and he is the one to finish second.

OS: Nothing much to add to what Jamie said, it’s a two horse race and Un De Sceaux should win and Vibrato Valtat should finish second.

WS: Hard to go against Un De Sceaux who is as fast a 2m chaser as I’ve seen. He is just electric.

TH: The feeling is that bookmakers have to lay horses when they are short but I’m not keen to lay Un De Sceaux. If you back Josses Hill, then best watch from behind the couch.

Champion Hurdle

JM: The talk in the weighing room is that Hurricane Fly is going better this season that last season and he could cause a surprise. I hope he wins but I would ride Faugheen if given the option.

OS: Best to wait for the ground until making a decision who to back as Hurricane Fly comes right into this if it is soft and 8/1 could be huge. The grass has not started growing on the course yet as it is too cold which is good for his chances as the longer the grass is the more moisture it soaks up.

WS: There are reasons to take on all the big four. Faugheen on form, The New One isn’t the slickest hurdler, Jezki can’t win purely on this season’s form but we know this is the day for him and Hurricane Fly on age and maybe ground. I can’t have Jezki out of the frame so he appeals each-way. A better bet is Arctic Fire at 66/1 for next season’s Champion Hurdle. He won’t be anything like that price if he hits the frame.

TH: I like Faugheen but I don’t like the price. I would rather play The New One and Jezki combined at 11/8 than 6/5 about the favourite. Hurricane Fly is for sentimental punters only.

Day 1 Shoulder Races

JM: Vino Griego goes for the 3m handicap chase. We worked him in a tongue tie for the first time and he went well and is off 139 having once been 156. He’ll be a massive price but he has a definite each-way chance. He’s in very good form.

OS: Mischievous Milly is my only other runner apart from Many Clouds and runs in the Mares Hurdle. I made a pig’s ear of it by running her at Ascot so soon after Sandown so ignore that run. She was twice second to Glens Melody last season who was second to Quevega in last year’s race so she has plenty of ability. If it is soft I will be disappointed if she is not in the first four.

Neptune Investment Management Novices’ Hurdle

JM: Ryan tells me that the Melrose at York is the toughest handicap on the Flat to win all season so for Parlour Games to win it that tells me he is up to this. Ordo Ab Chao looked decent at Cheltenham last time.

OS: It’s a little sad to see so many Flat horses at the top of the market for this NH race. Parlour Games would be my preference.

WS: Mullins holds the key with Nichols Canyon, Outlander and probably one or two more. It will be interesting if Alvisio Ville still runs here as there was loads of money for him for the Neptune before he was beaten in the Deloitte. Weld mentioned Windsor Park in the same breath at Forgotten Rules and I liked his Deloitte run and think he can reverse with Nichols Canyon.

TH: John Ferguson seems to have been training his horses more for Cheltenham this season and this could be his year with Parlour Games. Nichols Canyon should be in the Supreme and I have doubts he will stay. Outlander travels well but will he get home?

RSA Chase

JM: Kings Palace lights up when he sees a fence. It will be good to see him and Coneygree go at it from the start from the front. The Young Master won’t be far away.

OS: The vibes in the valley is that they are favouring the Gold Cup with Coneygree. Kings Palace has impressed me since day 1 and I can’t see past him.

WS: I’d be inclined to run The Young Master in the four-miler. The money for Don Poli suggests this is where he will run. If Coneygree and Kings Palace both run, that can set it up for Don Poli.

TH: Coneygree and Kings Palace could cut each others’ throats and set it up for a real stayer like The Young Master. This is a warrior’s race and who stays best wins.

Queen Mother Champion Chase

JM: Sire De Grugy has come out of Chepstow well. We felt that run was needed to give him confidence and he probably wouldn’t have run if he completed at Newbury. I’ve ridden Grey Gold ten times and honestly thought we would struggle to give him 20lb but he brushed him aside. He got a bit tired in the run in but it was soft ground. I honestly think he’s every bit as good as last year and the one to beat.

OS: I think you’ll see a different Sprinter Sacre to at Ascot. The drums are beating in Lambourn he is coming back, whether it’s in time for Cheltenham I don’t know. Running at Cheltenham, Aintree and Punchestown two seasons ago may have taken it out of him. Mr Mole has huge ability and I can see him travel very well for a long way but it has to be Sire De Grugy.

WS: Sire De Grugy was electric at Chepstow and demonstrated his high cruising speed again and I much prefer him to Sprinter Sacre who is my lay of the meeting. Simply Ned is interesting in betting without the favourite or front two in the market each-way. His season has been geared around this day back on bouncy, spring ground.

TH: I can’t have the Nicholls pair of Dodging Bullets and Mr Mole. I am far happier to lay Sprinter Sacre than Sire De Grugy who ran up to his handicap mark last time out and he should be favourite. I do like Champagne Fever more than all of them though.

RH: Don’t be surprised if Johns Spirit runs here rather than the Ryanair. I know they are strongly considering it so any 33/1 NR No Bet would be interesting.

JLT Novices’ Chase

JM: I’m a Ptit Zig fan despite his fall last time out.

OS: Vautour is the nap of the meeting, he was so impressive in the Supreme last year.

WS: It might be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole running Vautour in this race as he looked a natural for the Arkle to me. Valseur Lido does looks a JLT type though as he has pace and stays well and he was probably underprepared when beaten by Apache Stronghold last time.

TH: I am not convinced Vautour is the same horse as 12 months ago. Happy to take him on with Valseur Lido.

Ryanair Chase

JM: I hear that Ma Filleule will improve from her Ascot run. Ballnagour is a bleeder but he is great when fresh and fully tuned up as we saw here last year.

OS: My lay of the meeting is Cue Card. He looks past his sell-by date. Balder Succes has really moved forward since he was stepped up in trip and his confidence is sky high which is a big thing with me and he has the speed to travel. Eduard has had a light campaign and also travels well.

WS: Ma Filleule’s spring form last season is top class and she looks to be peaking at the right time. Eduard can run well.

TH: Don Cossack should win if the ground is not too fast. I can’t have Cue Card or Balder Succes on my mind.

World Hurdle

JM: Un Temps Pour Tout ran a good race on Trials Day. He would have been fit but he got a bit tired and I think that run will sharpen him up.

OS: It all depends if Annie Power turns up and I think she might. If she runs she can win it. If prefer Saphir Du Rheu of the Nicholls pair. I can’t have Rock On Ruby.

WS: I am more keen on Saphir Du Rheu than Zarkandar but Monksland each-way is my fancy. He was a leading hope two years ago until he was injured and 16/1 is a nice price.

TH: They were falling over themselves to back Un Temps Pour Tout before the Cleeve when Saphir Du Rheu beat him. Blue Fashion has an each-way chance at 16/1 on his seconds to More Of That and Faugheen.

Triumph Hurdle

JM: Top Notch is as quick over a hurdle as I’ve seen in a juvenile this season and he has a good each-way chance. I was also impressed with Beltor at Kempton.

OS: I was really impressed with Beltor. Maybe Aintree will suit him better but he didn’t half travel. He would half his price if trained by Nicholls or Henderson.

WS: Peace And Co looks like he could be anything but he is short enough for such a young horse in a race where horses will improve for spring ground. Hargam each-way is a better option and he has good course form as well. If Devilment ran here rather than the Fred Winter, he would be interesting at a price.

TH: Peace And Co is my lay of the meeting. He is definitely the most talented in the race but his demeanour worries me. He looks like he has been stung by a wasp. Beltor’s form looks strong.

Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle

JM: I’ve won on Blaklion and I like him as he tries very hard.

OS: I am a Caracci Apache fan who has improved in leaps and bounds. They thought he was absolutely useless after his first run.

WS: Value At Risk did well to lay up against speedier horses over 2m4f last time and was staying on and moving up to 3m will help him. He looks a big price at double figure odds.

TH: Dan Skelton doesn’t shout about his horses but he’s keen on Value At Risk. Thomas Brown showed the right attributes for this race when he won at Cheltenham but I’ll go with whatever is the Gigginstown number one.

Gold Cup:

JM: Many Clouds would be my choice. The Hennessy seems to be a good guide to the Gold Cup down the years. Holywell would have a better chance with McCoy on but Ritchie McLernon is 2-2 on him at the Festival.

OS: Paul Nicholls thinks he has found the key to Silviniaco Conti getting home but he still has to prove himself at Cheltenham. Touch wood I’ve not missed one single day with Many Clouds all season and it’s all gone to plan. He schooled for the first time this morning since he won at Cheltenham and will do so again next week. His confidence is sky high. I’d love to see them turn on the taps!

WS: If Silviniaco Conti was to see out his race better as his ulcers have been treated that is one thing, but I still think he is better on flat tracks. Boston Bob is a horse I have always thought could be a Gold Cup horse and he appears to have been trained with the race in mind judged by held-up efforts in Ireland this season. Blinkers would make him interesting.

TH: I have to take the favourite on. Would you back the in-form golfer in The Masters if he has a bad Augusta record? On His Own is a bigger price than when he almost won it last year and he is the value.

Naps:

JM: Sire De Grugy (Champion Chase)

WS: The Druid’s Nephew (Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase)

TH: Don Cossack (Ryanair)

PJ: Ned Stark (Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase)

RH: Sam Winner (Gold Cup)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

Some nice quotes from 'The Couch' at the Sean Graham preview night :

re Douvan : The biggest certainty since Jihadi John showed up for a pass the parcel game!!

re Un De Sceaux : He's backed the ambulance to finish second.

re Coneygree : trained by a nutcase

re Value At Risk : (former) trainer had more drugs than Amy Winehouse!!

He also NAPped Brother Brian for the Pertemps.

Good to listen to / read about and is usually good for a tip or two. Was telling everyone a couple of years ago that Salubrious would not be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

Galway Preview Night - Main Panel was Patrick Mullins, Davy Russell, Paul Kealy (Racing Post) and Eddie O'Leary (Gigginstown).
    All attended free of charge so hats off to them as most get a fee of 1k to 3k in other preview nights.

Supreme Novices Hurdle

Patrick Mullins: Douvan is exceptional, ground will be no issue, very hopeful. He said Shaneshill should also take his chance in this.
    Davy Russell: Shaneshill and Bentelimar both too big a price, go each-way. Criticised Paul Kealy's selection of Jollyallan, says he can't jump and that's a shocking bet. He also said L'Ami Serge is a 2nd season novice and that they have a shocking record in this.
    Paul Kealy: Douvan too short, Jollyallan great each-way bet, Patrick Mullins also questioned his selection, Jollyallan.
    Eddie O'Leary: Douvan is tall and weak so might not be suited to this test. Alvisio Ville a great e/w bet, Patrick Mullins agreed with him.

Neptune Hurdle
    Paul Kealy: Nichols Canyon will win (sounded very assured).
    Davy Russell: Windsor Park a question mark for race, could go Albert Bartlett. He said it will be a travesty if the Irish don't win all novice hurdle races at Cheltenham and he will pack in racing if they don't.
    Patrick Mullins: Nichols Canyon could take a lot of beating, rated 111 on flat which was higher than Hurricane Fly.
    Eddie O'Leary: Nichols Canyon should win, he also said to watch Weld's horses this year who will be super fresh.

Albert Bartlett
    Eddie O'Leary: No More Heroes scoped badly last time out, not as confident as they were about this horse.
    Paul Kealy: No More Heroes will take the world of beating.
    Patrick Mullins: Boost to Black Hercules if Douvan wins. Martello Tower has a great e/w chance, value. He feels Blaklion lacks class. Of all the novices, interestingly he said Black Hercules has the best chance!
    Davy Russell: Martello Tower good e/w chance but No More Heroes should win, will love 3 miles.

Triumph Hurdle

Eddie O'Leary: Petite Parisienne has a decent chance.
    Paul Kealy: Beltor is a massive price.
    Patrick Mullins: No interest in this race.
    Davy Russell: Thinks this is a great chance to do something with his wife to keep her happy, won't even watch it.

Arkle

Patrick Mullins: Un De Sceaux Leopardstown run phenomenal. Only worry is front runners' record in the race, but huge chance.
    Davy Russell: Un De Sceaux, wait until he gets down to the start to back him because it's a long way and he is a very excitable horse.
    Paul Kealy: Watching brief.
    Eddie O'Leary: Un De Sceaux is an aeroplane, Clarcam has no chance.

JLT

Davy Russell: The Tullow Tank huge price, e/w chance.
    Patrick Mullins: Afraid of Apache Stronghold, can't have Ptit Zig after his fall lto, Vautour working really well, will win!
    Paul Kealy: Ptit Zig huge chance, best form in the race.
    Eddie O'Leary: No strong opinion.

RSA Chase

Eddie O'Leary: All of a sudden got very quiet when asked about Don Poli, never commented.
    Davy Russell: Between Don Poli & Coneygree if they run in it, but Don Poli will win.
    Patrick Mullins: Valseur Lido could be a Gold Cup horse, wherever he turns up have a bet on him. David Pipe thinks Kings Palace is his bet of the week.
    Paul Kealy: Don Poli huge chance. Southfield Theatre e/w.

4-Mile National Hunt Chase

Davy Russell: Wounded Warrior
    Patrick Mullins: Perfect Gentleman off a good mark, big price if he shows up.
    Eddie O'Leary: Thunder and Roses good chance, stays all day.
    Paul Kealy: Doing Fine e/w chance, Russell laughed.

Champion Chase

Davy Russell: Sprinter Sacre has had 8 wind operations, has huge wind problems. Dodging Bullets has never won in spring. Champagne Fever has a chance but Sire De Grugy will win.
    Patrick Mullins: Champagne Fever should run in this, he has been a little frustrating but he has a huge chance. He thinks Sire De Grugy will find it tough, Sacre the biggest danger.
    Paul Kealy: Champagne Fever will win.
    Eddie O'Leary: Champagne Fever fan, should be very hard to catch.

Ryanair Chase

Patrick Mullins: Don Cossack the one to beat. Boston Bob might run in this.
    Paul Kealy: Don Cossack good chance, but Ma Filleule is his bet.. Russell and Mullins laughed.
    Eddie O'Leary: Don Cossack for him.
    Davy Russell: Don Cossack will win, but watch out for whatever race Johns Spirit shows up in, might go in Queen Mother but could nick a place at huge price.

Champion Hurdle

Breeder: Can't see him being beat, he re-mortgaged the house and put the whole lot on him @ 4/1. (Faugheen)
    Davy Russell: Faugheen has not been tested, mistakes here will be punished. Jezki should be spot on, horse to beat.
    Patrick Mullins: Faugheen has potential, but would love to see Hurricane Fly win. Unlikely due to age but in unbelievable form at home. If it turns soft, he has a chance. Faugheen error prone but never costs him ground. The faster he goes, the better he jumps. Special horse, riding him is like having the accelerator pushed to the max on a Ferrari.
    Paul Kealy: Worried about The New One, think he is not in good form. Arctic Fire great e/w bet. Patrick questioned his bet, said Arctic Fire is out of his depth.
    Eddie O'Leary: Faugheen.

World Hurdle

Eddie O'Leary: Dedigout has a shout if it's soft.
    Paul Kealy: Poor race, Zarkandar tentative bet.
    Patrick Mullins: Briar Hill small e/w, Lieutenant Colonel has a big chance.
    Davy Russell: Lieutenant Colonel hard to beat, Saphir Du Rheu the danger.

Champion Bumper

Patrick Mullins: Very impressed with Bordini. Cousin David thinks Pylonthepressure is the best of the Mullins lot here. Afraid of Moon Racer.
    Eddie O'Leary: Likes Stone Hard a lot. Afraid of Moon Racer.
    Davy Russell: Bordini
    Paul Kealy: No comment.

Gold Cup

Paul Kealy: Silviniaco Conti best horse in the race by a long way. Many Clouds if it is soft.
    Eddie O'Leary: Road To Riches e/w chance. Carlingford Lough huge chance.
    Patrick Mullins: Djakadam fan, big chance.. On His Own e/w squeak.
    Davy Russell: Road To Riches horse to beat. Wouldn't swap his ride on Lord Windermere for anything else in the race, but trainer hasn't had a winner yet this year.

Charity Bets €100 on each

Hector - Don Poli
    Eddie - Roi Des Francs
    Paul - No More Heroes
    Patrick - Djakadam
    Davy - Jezki

Other Bits of Information

O'Leary told me in person that Tiger Roll will not be running at Cheltenham this year, the horse has gone backwards.
    Patrick Mullins told everyone to back York Hill on Saturday, should give us a few quid for Cheltenham he said.
    O'Leary said Roi Des Francs is the Gigginstown banker of the week in the Martin Pipe.
    Patrick was asked for his top 4 in order of best chance on Day 1: He said 1) Annie Power, 2) Un De Sceaux, 3) Douvan, 4) Faugheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Jumping Prospects Preview Night at Aintree

Panel - Charlie Longsdon (CL)
    Ben Pauling (BP)
    John Parrott (JP)
    John Morris (JM)
    Andy Holding (AH)

John Morris & Andy Holding said much the same as they did at Bangor so will concentrate on the other three.

Supreme : All three went for L'Ami Serge. BP can't have Jollyalan

Arkle : All three agreed it was UDS's to lose

Champion Hurdle : CL - Faugheen beatable. Won't be in first 2. TNO to beat Jezki
    BP - Jezki. Thinks TNO will be caught flat footed coming down hill & will be staying on too late.
    JP - Likes TNO as his best form is at Cheltenham

Neptune : CL - Parlour Games best of the English, likes Winsor Park ew
    BP - Parlour Games. Ferguson is finally training his horses like NH horses not like flat horses
    JP - Also went with Parlour Games

RSA : CL - Didn't have a view
    BP - Strong on Kings Palace. Thinks Conygree should go for Gold Cup as he would have more chance of winning that than RSA!
    JP - Kings Palace

QM : CL- Hidden Cyclone ew if he runs here
    BP - Sprinter Sacre. Vibes from Henderson yard are good
    JP - Champagne Fever ew

World : CL - Whisper ew
    BP - Saphir de Rieu. Henderson yard thinks Blue Fashion is better than Whisper
    JP - Whisper ew

Ryanair : CL - Cue Card (so that's one loser)
    BP - Balder Succes
    JP - Balder Secces

Triumph : CL - Said AP told him Hargam will beat Peace & Co
    BP - Hargam to outstay Peace & Co
    JP - Hargam and Top Notch ew

Gold Cup : CL - Holywell
    JP - Holywell
    BP - Bob's Worth ew on good ground. Conygree if he goes.

CL & BP were asked about their horses. CL says best chances are Pendra in the handicap on the first day and Killala Quay in the novice handicap also on the first day.
    BP said Smart Freddy will go well at a big price in the handicap on the first day. Also said he expects Ravens Tower to go well in the Imperial Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

What ye make of Eddie o'learys banker??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

pugw wrote: »
    What ye make of Eddie o'learys banker??

Its really difficult to know but very interesting. Was trained by Tony Mullins before Gigginstown bought him. Potentially very well handicapped but difficult to know how much so without inside information.

Goes to show that you can never really believe anything at these preview nights. O'Leary's banker that neither Ruby or Mullins have squeaked about. They aint going to talk when they know what side the bread is buttered on - especially with Paddy Power's hand up Ruby's back side.

Still though, they add to the excitement and get us talking nonsense. All great fun. :D:D

Its really difficult to know but very interesting. Was trained by Tony Mullins before Gigginstown bought him. Potentially very well handicapped but difficult to know how much so without inside information.

Goes to show that you can never really believe anything at these preview nights. O'Leary's banker that neither Ruby or Mullins have squeaked about. They aint going to talk when they know what side the bread is buttered on - especially with Paddy Power's hand up Ruby's back side.

Still though, they add to the excitement and get us talking nonsense. All great fun. :D:D

That's exactly it. Never take what they say at face value, they are not going to give away valuable information to the world.. You need to look for something out of the ordinary, for instance when Patrick Mullins said his cousin David said Pylonthepressure was their best bumper horse, I found that interesting myself. Take what they say with a pinch of salt, they are all either very biased or giving nothing away. Hardly a breath about an English horse the whole night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

lorenzo87 wrote: »
    Galway Preview Night -
    RSA Chase

Eddie O'Leary: All of a sudden got very quiet when asked about Don Poli, never commented.

What did you interpret from this, if anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Gerraghty at the cafe en seine night is always good! Elliot gave tiger roll out last year it's just difficult to know what to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

Here's my take on preview nights. I like going to them to see if you can get that one nugget that might mean backing a winner or placed horse at a price during the festival.
    I think most people would have their minds made up about the pattern races and are looking for a novice / bumper / handicap snip. Or that bit of gossip / scandal. As in such and such a horse worked like a pig last week and mightn't travel or such and such a jockey can't stop talking about this horse in the weighing room.
    They have to be entertaining so panelists can't keep spouting out the same drivel. Some panelist are very entertaining but still you wouldn't be rowing in behind every selection they make.
    Preview nights are there to be enjoyed and take what you want out of them, and if local charities make a few bob as well then all the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Patrick Mullins told everyone to back York Hill on Saturday, should give us a few quid for Cheltenham he said.

This is what I took out of the night. 5:30pm Gowran Park on Saturday. I wonder what kind of price it will be?

Also there are two horses that I thought were very impressive on their last runs - De Name Escapes Me and See The World. I see both of them are in the Champion Bumper but they both just have the one run each. What are the requirements to enter this race? I always thought you had to win two bumpers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    This is what I took out of the night. 5:30pm Gowran Park on Saturday. I wonder what kind of price it will be?

Also there are two horses that I thought were very impressive on their last runs - De Name Escapes Me and See The World. I see both of them are in the Champion Bumper but they both just have the one run each. What are the requirements to enter this race? I always thought you had to win two bumpers?

A pals horse ran after running and winning once so definitely don't need 2,don't know what the criteria is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

These seem to be the conditions:
    for four, five and six-year-olds only which have not run under any recognised Rules of Racing, except National Hunt Flat races, Irish National Hunt Flat races or French AQPS races. Horses are not to have run in more than four National Hunt Flat races and, before February 28, 2012, must have been placed first, second, third or fourth in such a race.

http://www.irishracing.com/activecard?race=Cheltenham_Wed_11th_Mar_2015_5_15&prc=009&prd=201503111715

BumperD wrote: »
    What did you interpret from this, if anything?

Going by his reaction and the comments of the panel, Don Poli is highly fancied. I was sitting with the panel for a meal before hand, and the Irish racing post editor told me that Don Poli is his biggest bet of the festival. Eddie was beside him and he just smiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Going by his reaction and the comments of the panel, Don Poli is highly fancied. I was sitting with the panel for a meal before hand, and the Irish racing post editor told me that Don Poli is his biggest bet of the festival. Eddie was beside him and he just smiled.

Lorenzo, what race is he confirmed to run in ?

tomaussie wrote: »
    Lorenzo, what race is he confirmed to run in ?

Patrick Mullins wants him to run in the 4-miler, but thats just his greed shining through as he knows he will ride him if that happens.. But everyone is 95% sure he will run in the RSA Chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

I'll be backing see the world but you should watch his run before you make your mind up. For me his run was ultra impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Don Poli going RSA. I've been told by a good source. Will shorten once confirmed.

Don Poli's already priced as if he's a runner, can't see him going any shorter than his current price unless Coneygree goes GC.

dave3004 wrote: »
    Don Poli going RSA. I've been told by a good source. Will shorten once confirmed.

I think we all know he is going RSA for some time at this stage, it's no secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think we all know he is going RSA for some time at this stage, it's no secret.

Yep perfect for him with Coneygree and king's Palace going off to set the race up for him and the young master to battle it out.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Yep perfect for him with Coneygree and king's Palace going off to set the race up for him and the young master to battle it out.

There is a chance Coneygree goes Gold Cup but I think it would be utter madness if they do, he would have a huge e/w chance in the RSA.. However, the Bradstocks are known to be a bit bonkers, so he might end up in the Gold Cup.. Surely RSA has to be the aim though!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Trouble in P

Cheltenham Preview live from Lepordstown on RTE2FM (radio) starts at 7 if anybody is interested. Won't be listening myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

handsfree2 wrote: »
    I'll be backing see the world but you should watch his run before you make your mind up. For me his run was ultra impressive.

I know, it was unreal, he could be an unbelievable horse, but at the same time he beat nothing that day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

De Name Escapes Me will likely be sold and won't run at Cheltenham but the horse has a big future. Look for it in a winners bumper at Fairyhouse or Punchestown. There was a tip for it the last day before it won. I know a guy who had 100 e.w on it at 50/1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

I'm good friends with a guy who rides out horses for Willie Mullins. He's given me a few tips for the festival the last few years and most of them have won. Don Poli was the tip last year. He usually gives me a horse at a decent price. The horse he gave me for next week hasn't been mentioned by anyone in the previews. I'd take that as a good sign. It's running in the Coral Cup and its called Arbre De Vie. It's 20/1 at the moment. It was an unlucky 3rd behind Aux Ptits Soins in his first run in france. That horse is 9/1 fav for the Coral Cup. I think he should turn the form around with that horse. It won its next two races for Willie Mullins doing handstands. All the trends point to this horse doing well. 5 year old's have a tremendous record in the race. He's entered in about 4 races at the festival but I've been told the Coral Cup is the target. The price will go down once the 48 hour decs come out.

The jock wrote: »
    I'm good friends with a guy who rides out horses for Willie Mullins. He's given me a few tips for the festival the last few years and most of them have won. Don Poli was the tip last year. He usually gives me a horse at a decent price. The horse he gave me for next week hasn't been mentioned by anyone in the previews. I'd take that as a good sign. It's running in the Coral Cup and its called Arbre De Vie. It's 20/1 at the moment. It was an unlucky 3rd behind Aux Ptits Soins in his first run in france. That horse is 9/1 fav for the Coral Cup. I think he should turn the form around with that horse. It won its next two races for Willie Mullins doing handstands. All the trends point to this horse doing well. 5 year old's have a tremendous record in the race. He's entered in about 4 races at the festival but I've been told the Coral Cup is the target. The price will go down once the 48 hour decs come out.

Good stuff jock,cheers for the heads up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

Date: Wednesday, 4th March 2015
    Venue: Westmanstown Sports & Conference Centre, Westmanstown, Dublin 15
    Panel: Ruby Walsh, Davy Russell, Bryan Cooper, Jonathan Mullin (MC) Racing Post’s Paul Kealy, Paddy Power, A N Other
    Rafle: Top Prizes, (including a Trip for two to the 2015 Cheltenham Gold Cup)
    Proceeds: In aid of Brother Kevin Crowley’s, Bowe Street, Day Care Centre for Homeless People
    Tickets: In association with Paddypower.com are €20 each, which includes a€10 (Match) free bet and Free Finger food and
    Racing Post Cheltenham 2015 publication
    Call: Westmanstown Sports & Conference Centre on (01) 8207888. (Limited Seating)

Hi Long Shadow,

Would you have a review of this?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

The jock wrote: »

If Ruby rides hopefully he gives it a more positive ride than he did Indevan in the same race a year or 2 ago ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Have two invites for anyone that wasn't quick enough to get on the guest list for tonight's Cheltenham BetDaq Preview @ Café en Seine.

Unable to attend now. Starts at 7pm. PM me if interested.

Barry Geraghty and Jessica Harrington attending.

Foxrock supplemented for the Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I was at Westmanstown last night for the annual Festival preview.
    TBH, there wasnt a whole lot of new information. Ruby and Cooper naturally talked up their rides. Plenty of slaggin between Ruby and Russell (Ruby was the antagonist mostly, in his usual dour tone). Johnny Murtagh was the most boisterous - he was in charge of Q&A with the audience. And there was the usual a**ehole down the back, heckling Paddy Power for 7/4 Faugheen, which just made everyone feel awkward.

Notable thoughts
    Ruby: Would love to be on SC in the Gold Cup, thinks Djakadam is a nice ride but has it all to do, as do the rest of them...thinks Vautour is going up against glorified handicappers in the JLT and cant wait to ride him... Simply Ned e/w in the Champ Chase...Top Notch in the Triumph... Rock on Ruby has the class to win W Hurdle.

B Cooper: Likes Martello Tower in the Neptune... Don Poli will win RSA...Champagne Fever will win C Chase

Paul Kealy (Racing Post): Jollyallan in the Supreme...Ptit Zig in the JLT...against Balder Succes in Ryanair as he likes small fields, Ma Filleulle to win... Zarkander in W Hurdle... convinced a newcomer will win Gold Cup (Road to Riches most likely)...Karizak in the Triumph..Thomas Crapper in whichever race he turns up.

Russell: Against Sprinter Sacre (negative for bleeding)... loves Don cossack for Ryanair.. loves Jetson for the W Hurdle and no chance for Dedigout.. says we should "tell the wife youll cut the grass while the Triumph is on as its a horrible race" (que abuse from Ruby and Paul Kealy)... Roi de Francs in handicap

CHARITY BETS (€250): Ruby - Vautour, Annie Power, Black Hercules treble
    Davy Russell: Annie Power, Roi de Francs, No more Heros, ??(cant remember 4th horse) Lucky 15
    Bryan Cooper: Very Wood (4miler)to win
    Paul Kealy: No More Heros (Al Bartlett) to win

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭YoungKhalifa

What's Davy Russell's problem with the Triumph? Didn't he win it last year??

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

What's Davy Russell's problem with the Triumph? Didn't he win it last year??
    He's just full of **** although last night he was keen on people to back Boston bob for the Ryanair. Take what you will but defo worth a few bob and if he runs will go off much shorter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Did Cooper really say Neptune for Martello Tower? Hes not even running in it?

Did Cooper really say Neptune for Martello Tower? Hes not even running in it?

It might be a typo on my side, but I have him listed under 'Neptune' for him.
    Can anyone else who was there confirm?

Martello Tower goes in the Albert Bartlett.

battser wrote: »
    He's just full of **** although last night he was keen on people to back Boston bob for the Ryanair. Take what you will but defo worth a few bob and if he runs will go off much shorter.

Don't listen to a single word that eejit Davy Russell says.
    He told us all at the Galway Preview Night that Don Cossack would win on the bridle.

• Advertisement

Don't listen to a single word that eejit Davy Russell says.
    He told us all at the Galway Preview Night that Don Cossack would win on the bridle.

In fairness, its not just Russell who spouts s**** when asked for tips/updates on a horse. I think jockeys in general are sick of being asked on a daily basis for tips. Ruby in particular, admits in his autobiography that he hates being asked and just gives the first horse off the top of his head. Id say most of them have a similar policy - even when at preview nights.

In fairness, its not just Russell who spouts s**** when asked for tips/updates on a horse. I think jockeys in general are sick of being asked on a daily basis for tips. Ruby in particular, admits in his autobiography that he hates being asked and just gives the first horse off the top of his head. Id say most of them have a similar policy - even when at preview nights.

100% correct. Take what they say with a pinch of salt. I thought the Irish Racing Post editor was very knowledgeable , and of course neutral, and his nap for the week is Don Poli. I'd listen to someone like him before I'd listen to a jockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gillamandango

100% correct. Take what they say with a pinch of salt. I thought the Irish Racing Post editor was very knowledgeable , and of course neutral, and his nap for the week is Don Poli. I'd listen to someone like him before I'd listen to a jockey.
    ````````````````````````````````````````

Some Jocks/Trainers will give the same horse everytime they are asked, condense this down to who you believe based on previous years preview nights and there is information to be had..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ruby in particular, admits in his autobiography that he hates being asked and just gives the first horse off the top of his head.
    But yet he's happy to give his thoughts on Paddy Power for a few quid.

It would not surprise me at all if he is feeding information to Paddy Power on which Mullins horses they should be taking on while at the same time telling people on the blog to back them.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

I was at the one in café on seine last night. It was pretty poor in fairness. These are my interpretations on what was said.

Geraghty didn't fill me with confidence on lami serge or sprinter sacred.

He seemed pleased with joses hill. He tipped rock on ruby for the world hurdle.

When asked about the Albert Bartlett he mentioned out Sam who I thought was swerving the festival.

I didn't catch the charity bets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

I was at the one in café on seine last night. It was pretty poor in fairness. These are my interpretations on what was said.

When asked about the Albert Bartlett he mentioned out Sam who I thought was swerving the festival.

He said Sprinter is electric at the moment and is much better than he has been for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 machinelearner

Did anyone catch the Charity Bets from last night's Preview in Cafe en Seine?

Barry Geraghty's charity bet last year was spot on. Would be interested to hear what he tipped this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gillamandango

Did anyone catch the Charity Bets from last night's Preview in Cafe en Seine?

Barry Geraghty's charity bet last year was spot on. Would be interested to hear what he tipped this year.

Charity bets. Don Mc clean. Djakadam win. Edeymi sticking out. Ned buntline. Savello if county hurdle.
    Jessica H Charity bet Nap. Macnicholson win Ma fieluele win.
    Barry G. Chairty bet. Sprinter sacre. Handicaps The druids nephew.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

I think in today's Racing Post, Lydia Hislop was reported as saying at a preview in London that Josses Hill jumps like a snooker table!

• Advertisement

Don Poli confirmed for RSA.

Advertisement