Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we reached a plateau?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've been on Android since about 2010, pretty much always kept my phones for two years. The last switch up I made was from a Galaxy S8+ to a OnePlus 7 pro in 2018. I remember after the initial setup was finished thinking there's very little difference here.

The battery life on all my phones has always been complete rubbish after two years, between that and my parents wanting a hand me down to replace whatever ancient thing they were using I'd just buy a new phone. Not happening this time. Since lockdown I've not been leaving my phone plugged in over night so it's not sitting at 100% for hours on end, it's coming up on two years old now and still comfortably lasts the day. I know OnePlus have added smart charging to their flavour of Android 11 (still waiting for it on the 7 pro unfortunately) and it's built into iOS by default now so the main reason most people will have for upgrading at two years isn't going to be such a problem anymore.

Also I love the pop up front camera on the 7 pro (because I never use it) and the lack of a punch hole eating into the screen. Buying something new and losing that would feel like a downgrade, the phone is still lightning quick for what I use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as a veteran of cheap Android phones (I've never paid more than about €200, often much less) my current phone, a Nokia 6.1 is far and away the best and most reliable one I've ever had. I've had it 2 and 1/2 years and it's still perfectly fine, I'd never previously kept one for more than 2 years and I'd have been itching for a change at that stage:

Fast enough for everyday use (I don't play phone games)
    Decent battery life
    Enough storage for apps (64GB) plus SD card slot
    It's AndroidOne so it has received 2 major updates and will get another 6 months of security updates.
    Aluminium frame + gorilla glass means it's mostly indestructible.

Every previous cheapo phone I've had has slowed down, or become buggy, or the battery life has gone to sh!t, I've been running out of storage, or has been missing some new feature due to not getting Android updates or having some crappy manufacturer version of Android on it. In many cases I've gone down the road of modding to get missing features or fix bugs, which is frankly a PITA and something I've no interest in doing any more.

So basically, yeah, the cheap end of the market has improved to the point where I no longer feel the need to keep changing phone (I know I'm focussing on the Nokia I have now, but I can see that the new Nokia's, Moto's and Xiaomi's are all offering the same combination of features at low prices). I've no interest in folding screens etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I like the Redmi I have had for years. But I would go for a stock android, Android one phone if at all possible.

Unfortunately the pixels don't have dual sim or SD cards. Android Ones are often poor bang for buck. What's the equivalent of the 6.1 today?

Advertisement