Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Benefit ends at 18?

Options
  • 15-01-2021 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Our eldest is 18 end of the month and we got a letter to say benefit would end this month. Used to be you could get a form signed while in education to keep receiving until 21. Is that changed now?

Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Child Benefit ends at 18 even if the child is in full time education. It ends at 16 if they are not in school.

You may be thinking of an increase for a child dependant for a social welfare payment which is paid until they are 22 if in education.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭micks_address

Child Benefit ends at 18 even if the child is in full time education. It ends at 16 if they are not in school.

You may be thinking of an increase for a child dependant for a social welfare payment which is paid until they are 22 if in education.

Thanks used to be like 20 years ago when I was that age but things have moved on obviously. I remember getting firm signed in college for my parents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi folks,

Our eldest is 18 end of the month and we got a letter to say benefit would end this month. Used to be you could get a form signed while in education to keep receiving until 21. Is that changed now?

Thanks,
    Mick

Been that way for years now.... well my child is 28 and I lost it when she was 18 so thats 10 years ago. And even as she was growing up... 18 was the cut-off that I was aware of. Never heard it being 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yea 18 . Makes sense as I'm sure at 18 one could get a part time job, and the parents are going to abandon their child just because they turn 18.
    In USA 30,000 kids per year age out of foster homes, and are made homeless. WTF. If I fostered a kid ,and brought them up, my home is their home for life. But in USA 30k age out, and have no home.
    This magic number of 18, who came up with that ????? Serious question????

Advertisement