Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criteria for Private Forum

Options
  • 08-01-2021 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

In the interest of transparency, could the Admins outline the criteria to be met to shut off general discussion and lockdown access ?

I know various Sports forums are read-only and now i see Teaching & Lecturing will be moved to a Private Forum. It seems the response to any dissenting opinions is to shut it down.

Will this policy be applied to more Forums? Can Trump supporters request a Private Forum so they can discuss their opinions without any dissenting voices?

Now that the precedent has been set, what is the process and criteria to be met to request Private Forums for one-sided and like-minded groups can discuss?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi there,

There isn't a hard and fast rule, but instead it's looked at on a case-by-case basis. The Soccer forum went access-only after consideration because of reasons outlined here. There are a handful of other private forums that users can request access to and, in most cases, it's because some of the material discussed within may be sensitive: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1807.

Teaching & Lecturing itself is not going private. However, there is going to be a private forum for Online Teaching & Resources. This will enable teachers to discuss these topics and share supports, tips, etc. There are threads about teaching and schools in the Coronavirus forum currently, so it is not a case of shutting down dissenting opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

But why the need to make it private? How are new comers supposed to be able to view the contents of it and potentially sign up to participate?

That's how a lot of people get involved with Boards, by lurking for a while before joining up to participate and take part in more forums.

At a time when the numbers of users are falling, should existing users be allowed to carve off to their little kingdom? One common complaint is that Boards is unwelcoming and cliquey. This step is does not belie that impression.

Should Investments and Markets have their own private forum as well? Work and Jobs is full of other users offering tips and support expecially around jobs campaigns. Are they now entitled to have their own private forum set up?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Making a forum private is not a decision that is taken lightly. While lurking is a good way to start, there are already forums that require previous engagement to increase the possibility that a poster will contribute positively to the forum. Some of these - such as Soccer - can be read, but not interacted with, while others - such as Ranting & Raving - are hidden from view until access is granted. Sometimes it's a matter of sensitive information, sometimes it's to ensure that a poster won't cause trouble. Quality is as important as, if not more important than, quantity.

Newcomers will still be able to engage in the main Teaching & Lecturing forum and if discussing teaching as a whole is more of interest to them in a time of Covid, there is a thread for that too.

The new forum is a forum for teachers so that they can share knowledge, tips, advice, and resources about online teaching. While you might imagine that wouldn't be of interest to non-teachers, it has been seen that there are some users who wouldn't be able to resist engaging and in less-than-helpful ways at that. It being private ensures that teachers don't have to navigate and field these comments and questions, while getting access to helpful resources.

As for the forums that you have outlined, if a compelling case for a private forum is made then it could be considered. Bear in mind that in this instance, it is a new subforum of Teaching & Lecturing that is being made private, not the forum as a whole.

That's not true, there are many threads in Teaching and Lecturing that are completely related to teaching, teaching methods that attract no non teacher attention. So it cannot be said to be distracted by trolls.

People coming with an alternative view should not be classed as trolls by the way.

Because of one thread due to the current circumstances, rather than handle trolls, a new private forum will be created.

How many mod actions were performed on that thread?

I'm not saying unfair and relentless teacher bashing should be tolerated, but it is a negative precedent being set.

Will any non online teaching threads be moved from the private to the main forum?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

salonfire wrote: »
    How many mod actions were performed on that thread?
    The Coronavirus one? Over 250 to date.

Teachers have provided a dedicated online learning thread in the Coronavirus forum. They have attempted to address many issues raised in the main Schools thread in the Coronavirus forum

It is only reasonable that we provide them with a place where they can discuss issues they face, and possible solutions, without the prospect of angry users on this site complaining based on their pre-conceived ideas (and I have seen plenty of "teacher bashing" going on in the Coronavirus forum).

This way we can encourage teachers to discuss the current issues they face in a relatively safe space without having to look over their shoulders. I would much prefer the teachers of my own children to be able to do that rather than feeling the need to defend everything

But having said all that, the main thread in the Coronavirus forum remains a place where anyone can post. The Online Teaching thread remains available to everyone.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    The Coronavirus one? Over 250 to date.

No, this thread in Teaching and Lecturing Government flip flops / school closures
    It is only reasonable that we provide them with a place where they can discuss issues they face, and possible solutions, without the prospect of angry users on this site complaining based on their pre-conceived ideas

This way we can encourage teachers to discuss the current issues they face in a relatively safe space without having to look over their shoulders. I would much prefer the teachers of my own children to be able to do that rather than feeling the need to defend everything

So why can't it be done in the Teaching and Lecturing forum? Here are a few examples of teaching related topics from there that attract very little attention and have a low number of posts:

Video teaching
    AP Post Interview
    Teaching Council Registration - does it always take this long?

They even have a dedicated thread to discuss the topic, online teaching - the 1st one I linked above, that the private forum was setup for. It has 24 posts.

So a group of posters decided they needed a safe space.

What is the reasoning for it? It is not sensitive content. Is it too keep teachers' discussion around schools among away from prying eyes?
    Will any non online teaching threads be moved from the private to the main forum?

Just looking again in the locked thread in T&L and all I see is ranting and vitorial against the Education Minister.

Is that what the scope of the new forum going to be as well?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You won't need to worry about what is posted unless you have access to the forum.

I'm really struggling to see what your issue is here. We are in a pretty unique situation where we can encourage discussion on one of the most fundamental issues surrounding this pandemic. And we can encourage it in a way where the people involved (teachers) do not need to worry about the sort of negative comment that occurs in open forums.

I would hope it is constructive for all those involved in discussions and can hopefully result in the sharing of experiences and indeed good practice for the betterment of the schooling of our children in very difficult circumstances.

Because it is stifling debate. People who question and correct the various wild claims and accusations sometimes thrown around by teachers now no longer have an opportunity to do so. That's the very purpose of Boards, debate and differing opinions. How can you not see the negative impact of what this means.

I see you refused twice to answer my question if non-remote teaching threads will be moved from the subforum back to the main forum. Which leads me to believe all teaching related discussion - wider than just online teaching - will take place in the subforum now, away from scrutiny and alternative opinions. What is the advantage of that? How can any lurker thinking of teaching as a career view the pros and cons as discussed among teachers if it all takes place in private?
    We are in a pretty unique situation where we can encourage discussion on one of the most fundamental issues surrounding this pandemic.

The Video teaching thread in T&L has 24 posts. Are you saying that thread was constantly de-railed by trolls? Because I didn't see any. How many mod actions were required in the Video teaching thread? I see Mark says it was a decision not taken lightly. So what happened among those 24 posts to warrant a whole new subforum, a decision "that was not taken lightly"?

..this pandemic.

So why is the subforum not listed under Coronavirus forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Because it is impossible to get away from the constant vitriol against teachers on this site. I try and help. Others do too. In many cases long term posters and teachers have given up. I no longer post in the main forum much (albeit a bit more since covid) because frankly you simply never know when someone will descend upon you and make it all about holidays or what their teacher doesn’t do or how we should be all on PUP. It is absolutely exhausting.

If I chose to post on the coronavirus threads about schools then I do so knowing that I will almost certainly have people disagree, disparage teaching and demand that I sacrifice myself for some greater good or stop whining. I still do but I do so when I feel up to it or when I feel it worth correcting something.

I posted an innocent post saying what I taught and that I was willing to help. I won’t post the response that was made to me as it was a actioned and deleted but it was the rudest reply I have ever received on boards and I was incredibly hurt by it. It is not the first, just the worst.

I have been around boards for years. The teaching and lecturing forum has dwindled and dwindled in active, posting users. Because of the constant barrage of criticism. I am not the only teacher who completely unsubscribed from the forum for length periods in recent times for this reason. Some of the teachers applying for the sub forum I recognise as prolific posters who have simply stopped posting anymore.

Already the educational discussions are running, and for once, there has not been a single post about PUP or whining teachers.

I for one thank boards for this, and as someone who was considering leaving boards because of this I will stick around, contribute to the discussions without fear of what has frankly become bullying and be grateful that they have considered it

• Advertisement

Because it is stifling debate. People who question and correct the various wild claims and accusations sometimes thrown around by teachers now no longer have an opportunity to do so. That's the very purpose of Boards, debate and differing opinions. How can you not see the negative impact of what this means.

What wild claims and accusations do you feel teachers are making that you simply must refute? It is a sub forum for online teaching. What exactly do you imagine we would be saying?

I’m genuinely curious

Because of the constant barrage of criticism. I am not the only teacher who completely unsubscribed from the forum for length periods in recent times for this reason

There was not a barrage of criticism of you in the Video teaching thread in T&L. There was nothing stopping you from using that thread to continue to discuss Remote Teaching.

There was not a barrage of criticism of you in the Video teaching thread in T&L. There was nothing stopping you from using that thread to continue to discuss Remote Teaching.

I’ve given my opinion and I’m not continuing. I’m not going over and back over whether I should or shouldn’t have stopped posting in the forum as we clearly have different views on this

I’ve given my opinion and I’m not continuing. I’m not going over and back over whether I should or shouldn’t have stopped posting in the forum as we clearly have different views on this

Well technically if you are posting in the subforum, then you are actually posting in Teaching and Lecturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Well technically if you are posting in the subforum, then you are actually posting in Teaching and Lecturing.

If anything this thread you've made strengthens the teachers reasons for having a private area on boards.

I see you refused twice to answer my question if non-remote teaching threads will be moved from the subforum back to the main forum.
    I didn't answer because I assumed it was a rhetorical question

I can confirm that posts made in private forums are never moved into public ones. That's always been site policy and that's exactly the reason they are private.

I can confirm that posts made in private forums are never moved into public ones. That's always been site policy and that's exactly the reason they are private.

OK, fair enough.

Let me ask another way.

What safeguard is in place to ensure that any non-remote teaching threads - that until now would occur in T&L - would continue to occur in T&L and not hidden away?
    What is being done to ensure T&L forum does not die further with most users migrating to the subforum for a wide range discussion related to Teaching and Lecturing?

You still haven't answered why a topic that generated 24 posts without trolling warrants a whole new private subforum.

The online teaching thread is for parents and students to seek assistance

That's fundamentally different from a forum that discusses how best to provide such help

Any new forum will be moderated. It's a temporary one to deal with issues arising in this pandemic (assuming the pandemic itself is ultimately "temporary"!)

I really am struggling to understand what your real concerns are here. As a parent of school age children I welcome the idea that teachers can discuss best practice without the likes of yourself and other posters looking over their shoulders

The online teaching thread is for parents and students to seek assistance

That's fundamentally different from a forum that discusses how best to provide such help

Any new forum will be moderated. It's a temporary one to deal with issues arising in this pandemic (assuming the pandemic itself is ultimately "temporary"!)
    OK, thanks. That clears things up for me I think. I did not realize it is temporary and also open to parents and students as well. It's not actually clear this is the case (maybe I missed it). I jumped the gun thinking it was only for teachers to the detriment of T&L.
    I welcome the idea that teachers can discuss best practice without the likes of yourself and other posters looking over their shoulders

That's uncalled for. I'm entitled to make my views known as much as anyone else. You had no need to call me out like that just for raising a concern

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I don't know what access criteria has been set for this forum, but I am sure that if a non-teacher feels they are able to provide advice or in someway benefit the Online Teaching community, they can request access to the forum.

This is not the first, am a I am sure not the last, private forum to be set up on boards. There is no big conspiracy going on within them. I have been in a couple over my years here, and there is always a rule that you don't discuss non-members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,647 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Didn't that happen with Ranting & Raving, though, before my tenure?

Overheal wrote: »
    Didn't that happen with Ranting & Raving, though, before my tenure?
    I don't know about R&R - that must have pre-dated me. However all discussions while I have been an Admin have made it quite clear. Posts made in private forums were made by posters who never intended their comments to be made public, and the site has to ensure such posts remain out of the public domain

Something isn't adding up ..

If it is for teachers, parents and students. why the prerequisite of a posting history in Teaching and Lecturing before getting permission to join? Is it reasonable to expect 2nd level students to have been posting in Teaching and Lecturing?

This is looking like a group of like minded individuals who have carved off a private forum to circumvent lurkers, debate and opposing views under the guise of "Online teaching" - a topic that generated a whole 24 posts on the main forum.

Something isn't adding up ..

If it is for teachers, parents and students. why the prerequisite of a posting history in Teaching and Lecturing before getting permission to join? Is it reasonable to expect 2nd level students to have been posting in Teaching and Lecturing?

This is looking like a group of like minded individuals who have carved off a private forum to circumvent lurkers, debate and opposing views under the guise of "Online teaching" - a topic that generated a whole 24 posts on the main forum.

I'm sorry, but who said it was for parents and children? I mentioned a current completely open thread in the Coronavirus forum. The proposed private forum is for teachers

IThe proposed private forum is for teachers

So a topic that generated 24 posts is somehow worthy of a whole subforum and that has to be kept private?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

So a topic that generated 24 posts is somehow worthy of a whole subforum and that has to be kept private?

Currently at about 13 threads and more than 170 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't understand why you care so much. Boards has loads of private forums, some for specific topics and others for talking crap into the late hours.

A private forum was requested, or offered, and accepted. If you meet the criteria then you can take part, if not then then you can't. Simple as that really.

I'd imagine there are also hundreds of teacher-only whatsapp groups floating around at the moment that you're not party to. Fire off a mail to Facebook while you're at it:-)

If you spend a bit of time browsing the recent forums it's clear they're asking for somewhere they can share useful online teaching tips, IT help and probably a little necessary venting safe in the knowledge they won't have to deal with the usual bad-faith posters with too much time on their hands.

Not everything is a conspiracy.

This is not sitewide feedback. It is clearly a specific issue raised by a single poster in connection with a specific forum

OP, if you have a complaint, these are dealt with in Help Desk

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement