Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I still haven't figured out which Mark is which..... I think Mark with one leg might be a dark horse alright.... Nordie Mark not so much.

Dave is a strange one alright, but I haven't seen anything to suggest winner about him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

WOW...think we saw a different side to Sura last night when she got the bad news..she looked "angry"....wonder if she was thinking "the sexy one " was kept in........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

WOW...think we saw a different side to Sura last night when she got the bad news..she looked "angry"....wonder if she was thinking "the sexy one " was kept in........

I don't think Sura could have any complaints about getting the boot, if there mind's weren't already made up about her leaving then that showstopper surely made it a certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Sura was the right person to go.

Her brownies were only half of the required amount and not even taken out of the tin. Lotties looked like crap but were at a bit further along.

She made just as much of a mess of the babka. It was about 4ft long on the table and she doubled it over as opposed to Lotties which she should have shortened for the tin.

Her showstopper was way worse than Lotties. It was raw.

It's a pity, but it was an awful week. I was just as surprised that Linda didn't get a mention for star baker at all:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don’t get how the look of Laura’s cake was criticised whilst Peter’s was praised even though it looked like quite messy. Laura’s chocolate ruffle looked good, IMO. And I don’t see how Linda wasn’t even considered for star baker. It was a very mediocre week and she was the only one to really transcended it all at any time.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I really liked Sura and her funny ways but she had a really bad day so had to go
    Dave is just too intense for me and I have the funny feeling he will win
    I would love to see someone come from behind and I think Mark could do it

Lottie really needs to tie her hair back it must be all over her bakes !!

I’d love to see somebody do a Nadiya - have a slow start but come up on the rails.

Sura came across overly serious to me from week one. Her continuing freak out at knocking some of Dave’s technical in week one was OTT. Everyone had assured her that he wouldn’t be punished for it.

I don’t get how the look of Laura’s cake was criticised whilst Peter’s was praised even though it looked like quite messy. Laura’s chocolate ruffle looked good, IMO. And I don’t see how Linda wasn’t even considered for star baker. It was a very mediocre week and she was the only one to really transcended it all at any time.

Oh I don't know..... I agreed with the judges that "less is more" in Laura's case.... the cake was for me a bit bland in that it had no colour other than the base "white", and the sight of that much white chocolate piled on top made me feel a bit queasy tbh! (but I'm not a huge chocolate eater in the first place)

I also thought the whole "celebrate a particular event" thing was a bit tenuous in most cases, they just said it was for a wedding anniversary or a birthday or their daughter or whatever - but you'd never have known. Except for the maths cake, that was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,246 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think they’ve a soft spot for Peter because of his age.
    I think one of Laura’s problem is she’s makes everything very sweet and the judges would like for dark chocolate on things.
    I’m totally lost about Linda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sura came across overly serious to me from week one. Her continuing freak out at knocking some of Dave’s technical in week one was OTT. Everyone had assured her that he wouldn’t be punished for it.

I actually thought Dave handled that really badly, he was clearly very frustrated and rightfully so but he just sullenly put the plate down and walked away, he acted as though she had done it done deliberately when it was clearly an accident. I don't think they ever really got on after that, I don't think we saw them hug when she left and I feel they would have shown it if it happened. Maybe I'm reading too much into things.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I actually thought Dave handled that really badly, he was clearly very frustrated and rightfully so but he just sullenly put the plate down and walked away, he acted as though she had done it done deliberately when it was clearly an accident. I don't think they ever really got on after that, I don't think we saw them hug when she left and I feel they would have shown it if it happened. Maybe I'm reading too much into things.

No I felt the same. I think Sura was upset for so long because David was clearly p*ssed off. He tried to hide it but he couldn't. I really don't like him.

I liked Laura's ruffle.

I didn't think Linda deserved star baker as she wasn't great in the first or last rounds but excelled in the technical. She should have been 'considered' all the same.

Mark (is that his name?!) was the best in round one and good but not great in the other two. So it was obvious to me he should have gotten it but overall pretty much everyone was mediocre to bad. It wasn't a great week. I personally like it when they just make proper cakes but nothing stood out as particularly great yesterday. And I agree with ODB that Peters looked a bit of a mess.

• Advertisement

I think they’ve a soft spot for Peter because of his age.
    I think one of Laura’s problem is she’s makes everything very sweet and the judges would like for dark chocolate on things.
    I’m totally lost about Linda.

But Laura’s white chocolate cake was one of the few to really counteract the sweetness with the blackcurrant jam. This was a white chocolate challenge so there’d be no dark chocolate involved.

FunLover18 wrote: »

I remember it differently. Once he saw that a few cakes had survived and they’d be the ones judged, he seemed fine. Whereas even after this was explained to Sura, she was still bawling. I don’t really remember Dave seeming that mad at her really. I think she won the technical that week and didn’t even look happy about it.

But Laura’s white chocolate cake was one of the few to really counteract the sweetness with the blackcurrant jam. This was a white chocolate challenge so there’d be no dark chocolate involved.

Oh yeah I actually forgot what the inside of her cake was! That was the only one that I wanted to eat!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,246 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was referring more to her brownies and another week she made something with salted Carmel and milk chocolate and they said it was to sweet.

No I felt the same. I think Sura was upset for so long because David was clearly p*ssed off. He tried to hide it but he couldn't. I really don't like him.

I liked Laura's ruffle.

I didn't think Linda deserved star baker as she wasn't great in the first or last rounds but excelled in the technical. She should have been 'considered' all the same.

Mark (is that his name?!) was the best in round one and good but not great in the other two. So it was obvious to me he should have gotten it but overall pretty much everyone was mediocre to bad. It wasn't a great week. I personally like it when they just make proper cakes but nothing stood out as particularly great yesterday. And I agree with ODB that Peters looked a bit of a mess.

I was aghast at the hames they all made of the brownie round. Mark’s was the best and it was mediocre. I’ve never made brownies personally but I’m a truly basic baker. Anyone appearing on Bake Off should be adept at making them. They all just overcomplicated them. Imagine how nice a well-made classic brownie would have been?

Oh yeah I actually forgot what the inside of her cake was! That was the only one that I wanted to eat!

Yeah, hers and Hermine’s lemony one. Yummy.

The Pruegasm! :D
    I was referring more to her brownies and another week she made something with salted Carmel and milk chocolate and they said it was to sweet.

Okay but I was talking about her white chocolate cake and the harsh criticism it got. The other rounds are irrelevant to the judging of that, especially as she did one of the best jobs counteracting the sweetness.

I was aghast at the hames they all made of the brownie round. Mark’s was the best and it was mediocre. I’ve never made brownies personally but I’m a truly basic baker. Anyone appearing on Bake Off should be adept at making them. They all just overcomplicated them. Imagine how nice a well-made classic brownie would have been?

That annoys me. Like just make a simple recipe but do it right, rather than over complicating things and making a balls of it. I'm terrible at baking, i try my best but overall I'm a bit useless, but even I've managed to make decent brownies. It's disappointing to see supposedly good bakers feckin' up something basic like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭boccy23

I was laughing at the previous posts about Lottie's hair. My wife was going mad watching it last night. I hadn't really noticed it until then, but after she had pointed it out, it is really disgusting! Tie it up.

I have been watching since day 1 and last night was possible the worst effort ever. The brownies were a bucking disaster. Why not make straight forward brownies peeps! I thought that Linda's technical look every bit as good as the professional one Pru and Paul ate at the start.

The white chocolate was a bad category to begin with during a hot period in a tent for christ's sake. But only Peter's and Laura's appealed to me in any way. His coconut flavour looked savage and the blackberries and cream in Laura's had me drooling as well.

Sura definitely was deserving of the boot. He showstopper was raw! Enough said. Goodbye!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭siblers

No contestant really stands out, you'd usually have one or two stand out contestants but everyone seems close enough to each other.

Most of them are likeable but something about Dave, I dunno. Hard to warm to.

Lottie and the fella from the North are great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭boccy23

siblers wrote: »
    No contestant really stands out, you'd usually have one or two stand out contestants but everyone seems close enough to each other.

Last night's one about the showstopper to the effect, "yeah that was straight forward and I nailed it" doesn't help him. Not sure if it is arrogance, self-confidence or a lack of empathy. But I agree, he certainly does not have a huge likeability factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

IM still finding Noel & Matt Lucas a hard watch. Im very surprised.
    I taught Matt would fit the bill perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I remember it differently. Once he saw that a few cakes had survived and they’d be the ones judged, he seemed fine. Whereas even after this was explained to Sura, she was still bawling. I don’t really remember Dave seeming that mad at her really. I think she won the technical that week and didn’t even look happy about it.

Just goes to show how we can read things differently.

In regards to Matt, I much prefer him to Sandi, the comedy seems a lot more natural where I hate the "bits" between Sandi and Noel as they always felt too staged. I guess it's just a matter of taste though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Phew! Glad Lottie didn’t get the boot but it was a close run thing!

Sorry to see Sura go but she had a bad week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,882 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

siblers wrote: »

I think they are all a likeable bunch tbh this year.
    Sura what the heck happened with that last bake...what a disaster!

I think Peter is standout for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

I don’t like Matt at all, just don’t think his humour works there
    I loved Sandi and Noel together, preferred them to Mel and Sue even
    Sandi used to get genuinely upset having to send people home
    I think the editing misses out a lot of what the judges say, eg when discussing star Baker we only see a few seconds , I’d love to see more of their discussion
    And obviously the bit we miss is what it tastes like which presumably is their most important criteria

David reminds me a little of Dan in 2018 who was really smug , not quite as bad, comes across too self confident
    And lotties hair had been driving me mad from the first episode, I really wish they’d make her tie it back, I keep expecting there’ll be long hairs in her bakes and it has to be v annoying in the heat of the tent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

A properly made brownie, squidgy inside with a bit of a crunch on top doesn't need embellishments like cheesecake or italian meringue on top. Like you said everyone of the over did them and it backfired.

Seamai wrote: »
    A properly made brownie, squidgy inside with a bit of a crunch on top doesn't need embellishments like cheesecake or italian meringue on top. Like you said everyone of the over did them and it backfired.

A dollop of really excellent vanilla ice cream is the only thing that should be allowed anywhere near a brownie.

Meringue and cheesecake, like WTF? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Am very curious to know the "theory" about Peter from some pages back
    Will you promise to elucidate after the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Who's baking what today? I'm making Guinness chocolate cake. But with the gyms closing the baking has to cease too. I won't be able outrun my bad diet from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I had forgotten it was Tuesday and Bake off was on!! I KNOW!!!
    Some light entertainment for the week that's in it :)

Advertisement