Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dancing on Ice is back

Options
  • 05-09-2017 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

Cynics may argue that it's only returning because ITV couldn't come up with a replacement for it.

But it could yet be a triumphant return. Phil will be hosting, and so will Holly. :D Torvill and Dean will also be there, but this time they'll be heading the judging panel.

And ITV are clearly putting a lot of faith in it, too, promising a big new rink and more ambitious routines:

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/dancing-ice-return-2018

Now, as long as there aren't too many twists and the other judges aren't Louie Spence and Ashley Roberts...

(Wouldn't be entirely keen on Jason returning either, though I'd at least understand that.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Great British Bake Off's 2016 winner Candice Brown, The X Factor and I'm a Celebrity's Jake Quickenden, rugby player Max Evans, Love Island's Kem Cetinay, Coronation Street's Brooke Vincent and singer Cheryl Baker of Bucks Fizz are signed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

So is former England cricketer Monty Panesar. ;)

article-2002709-07D24DC7000005DC-824_468x460.jpg

It looks like Jason is indeed returning as a judge, although as I said in post #1 I can understand that.

And it's being reported that the panel will also include Ashley... Banjo. ;)

medium_fcEC5p_Kqautjjv4Dj3vxv6qE_zrwAco0rVpWpFL3qg.jpg

The other celebs confirmed: track athlete Perri Shakes-Drayton, 'Oaks actress Stephanie Waring, ITV weatherman Alex Beresford, ex-Byker Grove star Donna Air (who could yet become the Duchess of Cambridge's sister-in-law :D), and Antony Cotton.

The pro line-up has also been confirmed, with Dan Whiston, Matt Evers, Brianne Delcourt and Sylvain Longchambon all returning:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017-11-09/dancing-on-ice-2018-professional-skaters/

And - surprise surprise - Ashley Banjo will indeed join Jayne, Chris and Jason on the judging panel. Well, he should be better than his Pussycat Doll namesake... right? :o:D;)

Trailer's out. I quite like it, TBH... :)

Horse racing presenter Matt Chapman will be the commentator. Interesting choice.

https://twitter.com/MCYeeehaaa/status/941941662179262464

• Advertisement

...Am I the only one still excited? :eek: :o:D;)

Anyway, Monty has pulled out due to injury and has been replaced by Lemar - who features prominently in this "first look":

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

No you’re not alone Go Harvey Go. I’m looking forward to this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Me three :D:D

I've heard of a whole two of them.... Candice, and Perri Shakes-Drayton (although i couldn't tell you what sport she does.... something athleticy???)

And Brenda Hyland's daughter, although she must have been parachuted in after that trailer was shot.

Not a clue have I who the rest are.... but i cannot WAIT for this to get started!!!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Me three :D:D

I've heard of a whole two of them.... Candice, and Perri Shakes-Drayton (although i couldn't tell you what sport she does.... something athleticy???)

And Brenda Hyland's daughter, although she must have been parachuted in after that trailer was shot.

Not a clue have I who the rest are.... but i cannot WAIT for this to get started!!!

It's the Irish Strictly - which I haven't started watching, and don't intend to - that Alannah Beirne has been parachuted into...

And I take it you don't watch Corrie?

:o:o:D:);)

It's the Irish Strictly - which I haven't started watching, and don't intend to - that Alannah Beirne has been parachuted into...

And I take it you don't watch Corrie?

:o:o:D:);)
    Whooooops!!!

Think I might be suffering reality show overdose :eek:

Don't tell me PS-D is a soap star???

Think I need a bit of a lie-down before the reality season starts up again (that might or might not be related to gin consumption last night :o)

• Advertisement

Whooooops!!!

Think I might be suffering reality show overdose :eek:

Don't tell me PS-D is a soap star???

Of course Perri isn't a soap star.

But Antony, Brooke and Stephanie all are.

:D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Anyone watching tonight? I’m totally loving it and have to say I’m impressed with first week dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Michelle_b

I'm watching. They are really good and not showing nerves. I haven't seen it before but fair play on the ice!

There isn't much love for Matt Chapman's commentary... and I can see why.

It *is* the first night, he *is* much more familiar with the gee-gees, and no commentator can be *quite* as good as Tony Gubba was. But he doesn't need to be *that* loud, nor does he have mention something to do with racing at every opportunity... :o

Besides that, it's largely the DOI we all know and love. :) Jason is as mean as ever, and it's fair to say that the show really doesn't work as well without Phil *and* Holly.

I didn’t know how much I missed it until tonight when it started back. I’d prefer less ads and more dancing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Michelle_b

My favourite tonight was Kem.

Agree on the commentator.. feels like it doesn't fit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

I enjoyed the show tonight but I have a few points to make.

1. I'm glad it's back I missed it but I like the fresh feel of the show - I'm glad the pros are now creating their own choreography and not Torvill & Dean.

2. I think Torvill & Dean will do well on the judging panel they know what to look out for alongside Ashley & Jason who are dancers but from different backgrounds of dancing. I think it fits well

3. I know Tony Gubba is dead now so they needed someone to do the commentary but by Jesus I did not like Matt Chapman doing it tonight it felt it was missing something.

4. I really liked both Kem & Jake I know it's only week 1 but I can already see it being those two for the final

5. 2 hours show but barely any dancing typical ITV show they need to cut down on all the talking and as breaks and get on with the point of the show.

But overall I enjoyed it tonight and cant wait to see what the next 10 Sundays bring. All I need now is Wild at Heart to come back and my childhood on sunday evenings would be back :D

Have just watched the first of the series - and oh my goodness it's FRANTIC :eek:

Not at all a fan of the new commentator, hopefully he'll calm down, or they'll put some valium in his coffee or something.

Unfortunately I haven't a notion who most of them are, but yer man from X Factor and Perri were far and away the best of the night. I felt for poor Candice, all the others are performers of one sort or another - but she has to tackle learning to skate AND learning to perform at the same time. But she's a determined gal, I have no doubt she's up for it!

Oh.... there was more! I'd assumed the group dance was the end of it!

Stephanie had me on tenterhooks! But she got through it without falling, fair play to her!

In other news, I'd forgotten how gorgeous Sylvain is! Had no idea he'd hooked up with, never mind married, Samia!!

Who's that enormous second judge :confused: I thought the American girlie judge was back, no? I feel like Jayne and Chris need to settle into their new roles as judges - they're being very sparing in their words each time, but I'm sure they'll get the hang of blathering on and on like all the other in time!

Holy Moly, Kem certainly wins the most improved contestant in week one :eek:

Can see why ye all think he's a final contender already!

I'd say he's some handful to train, though!!!

• Advertisement

Who's that enormous second judge :confused: I thought the American girlie judge was back, no?

Well, they're both called Ashley... :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Only got to see it today, great watching without the annoying fillers and ads. I also am not a fan of the commentator. Loved Holly's dress. Sooo good to see Sylvain again, Jaysus he's a roide!
    I liked Ashley more than I thought I would, I also prefer that the prof's are doing the choreography.

Matt Chapman has resigned apparently. Schedule clashes. More like he's aware he's not very popular. Wonder who'll step in.

crustybla wrote: »
    Matt Chapman has resigned apparently. Schedule clashes. More like he's aware he's not very popular. Wonder who'll step in.
    Thank Gawd!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Sam Matterface is replacing Matt Chapman I have no clue who he is but let's hope he's better than Matt Chapman

crustybla wrote: »

Heard elsewhere that he was fired but gets full pay. He’s not to everyone’s taste, but there’s nothing he doesn’t know about horse racing.

How bad. He's happy enough so. Hopefully this Sam Matterface chap fits in. It has potential to be a great show. Looking forward to this week but I'll watch later to skip all those bloody ads.

Can't say I'm Matt's greatest fan either - even on At The Races he's a bit of an acquired taste.

That said, I *do* feel he should have been given a chance to improve. But que sera sera.

The Metro newspaper, while reporting on Sam Matterface taking over, says that "Matt previously made a name for himself presenting Racing Post, At The Races and the Racing Channel." They can't be all that interested in the gee-gees, because the Racing Post is itself a newspaper and not a TV channel... :o:D

Meanwhile, one man who would undoubtedly be a brilliant and popular commentator is Tony Gubba's old colleague, Barry Davies. He recently commentated on The Jump on Channel 4 and, despite probably not having a Scooby who half the celebrities were, he made it look so easy - and he clearly enjoyed doing it, too. :D:);)

Barry_1930777b.jpg

Just seen Matt Chapman on the morning racing program. He was full of praise for the dedication and hard work of the celebs.

• Advertisement

Can't wait for tonight :)

Advertisement