Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Series Trailer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Can't wait for it. The old Top Gear had gone stale for a few years now. Not expecting miracles but I think it will be good.

And at least the others will be on Amazon soon, nothing wrong with having both of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think they are doing themselves a big disservice calling it Top Gear and that trailer did not give me any confidence it will last beyond a season or two (because BBC will fund it on name alone and prey it will work out in offshore markets which I highly doubt).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The show top gear predates the Clarkson trio, it became a world brand under Clarkson and maybe it can't survive as a world brand without them but it can still be a BBC car show. It looks like they're going for the international market though, probably going to throw the kitchen sink at it and desperately hope people like it.

I hope it works out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wreaks of desperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The trailer looked just like a Top Gear trailer, which is a good thing IMO. They can't lose sight of the fact it's an entertainment show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Looks shyte.. Evans being his usual self, lots of shouting and pulling silly faces, and what looks like a poor rip-off of the stuff people complained about on Clarkson's TG . 35k dislikes on the video so far too!!

Will be amazed if it makes it beyond a second season. Real TG has moved to Amazon.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Will be amazed if it makes it beyond a second season. Real TG has moved to Amazon.
    I hope it's not the case that Clarkson, May and Hammond are shyte without the production values of BBC to make them look better. :D

I'm going to take new top gear as it comes. I'm not going to have expectations that it needs to fulfil and as long as it has cars I'll be easy enough to please.

The continuity top gear can just be about those three old men doing stuff with cars and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ScumLord wrote: »
    I hope it's not the case that Clarkson, May and Hammond are shyte without the production values of BBC to make them look better. :D

I'm going to take new top gear as it comes. I'm not going to have expectations that it needs to fulfil and as long as it has cars I'll be easy enough to please.

The continuity top gear can just be about those three old men doing stuff with cars and I'll be happy.

Didn't Andy Wilman and some of the rest of the production team move with them? (stand to be corrected)

I'd imagine Amazon will throw whatever resources are needed at this to make it successful if some of their other shows are any indication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

I'm holding out hope it'll be good but for people complaining the last guys were scripted that trailer looks very scripted. It's like they're trying to be awkward. That works fine when the person is awkward and can carry it off, (like any of the old top gear crew) but I wouldn't peg Matt as an awkward person.

Chris Harris took part in Blancpain at the weekend. I wonder it TG be doing a piece on it? It also highlights the clash that's going on with this trailer. You have serious people like Harris and Sabine, the thoughts of them trying to ape old top gear awkwardness just won't work, it's not going to be believable. Plus I'd love to see the lifestyle those two in particular live, not them trying to be Clarkson, Hammond, or May.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Another Trailer Just Posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gzCnrR0ZhM

• Advertisement

The trailers keep on coming:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,480 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see RTÉ2 will be showing it same day as BBC, not sure how the ads will impact on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Substitute "Amazon" with "Channel 5" and it's almost exactly the same thing as people were saying fourteen years ago...

Starting next Sunday at 8. I really hope people give it a chance. It'll have a lot of enemies, from those who always disliked TG because it didn't feature cars "real people" could buy, to those who thought the sun shone out of Jeremy's backside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If they use this chance to clean the show up from overly scripted events and overly staged jokes then I'll be on-board to give it a chance. I like Clarkson, May & Hammond but their time on TG was getting very stale so this whole thing could work out for everybody if they all use this opportunity.

Matt LeBlanc was an odd choice at first before remembering he's quite a good driver and though fairly reserved outside of acting he can still be pretty funny.

Chris Evans is like Bovril to a lot of people so we'll see how does with this.

The new show can't be any worse than the old when it had a run of boring episodes unless they try to ape that show too much.

It's a balancing act between keeping the best of the old show (the focus on entertainment) and ditching the stale elements (the "races" had become too formulaic and predictable)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Well I don't think the new TG will be as bad as we expect, BBC have not skimped on the budget for the show, you`ll find that Matt will be very good, Evans will turn out to be the guy we all love to hate.
    Plus the Virgin show may not be as good as we expect, there routine was wearing thin and I cant see how they will do anything different.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Top Gear audience walk out

Was supposed to be over by 4; went on "into the early hours of the evening" - so, say, 6 - and people had to be elsewhere so they had to leave.

I would say anyway. But looks like media-bashing of Top Gear might be one thing not to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I see RTÉ2 will be showing it same day as BBC, not sure how the ads will impact on it.

RTÉ's running time is 10 minutes longer and also starts 20 minutes after the BBC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

^^^^^^^^^^

strange one that, surely rte are shooting themselves in the foot going up against the bbc no ads transmission..also it must be costing a fortune to being showing it so new and not an old repeat like they usually do

• Advertisement

RTÉ have a content deal with the BBC so it won't cost them anymore to show it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

10 minutes to go when this airs on BBC Two now. Any thoughts beforehand?

10 minutes to go when this airs on BBC Two now. Any thoughts beforehand?
    New "live comments" thread? :P

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Anyone watching this? Evans is shocking! :eek:

HE'S VERY LOUD, ISN'T HE?

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

trying too hard and ya he's loud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm recording it so I can zip through it later but the bit I've seen (the chase in an airfield thing) looks horribly like a bad copy of what the Clarkson and co have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Ya, copy of previous event, and Evans literally shouting in the studio....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Looks a continuation of the same format......stolen ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Top TFI Friday Gear

Surprised to see its the EXACT same format as the previous series.

Evans is trying to hard and Le Blanc looks bored

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

The Bear from Bo Selecta

Chris Evans is too loud and he's an awful narrator.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Chris Evans is too loud and he's an awful narrator.

Chris Evans is the worst narrator.....3sxufe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Le Blanc and the German bird are too flat to make this work.....I'm convinced it needed someone like Guy Martin to bounce off Evans, as it is he's gonna try too hard and shout too much to keep it lively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Evans seems to be doing a shouty emulation of Clarkson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm recording it so I can zip through it later but the bit I've seen (the chase in an airfield thing) looks horribly like a bad copy of what the Clarkson and co have done.

Yeah its the same show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This comment I saw on The Guardian summed it up:
    Its like watching The One Show do Top Gear.

I'm kind-of warming to LeBlanc: he's got a kind of grumpy, laconic thing going. He is an actor, don't take his every expression at face value ...

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

They should really have got one of those UAVs they use in warzones rather than a quadcopter from LIDL for this bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Le Blanc is growing on me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

Yea I think Leblanc is quite good, certainly on location and he can really drive but Evans is trying way too hard. I'd like more Sabine, thought she was good in the first clip.

I suppose it'll take time to get on the money.

Good to hear Hocus Pocus by Focus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Well I thought it was amusing enough. Kept me entertained well enough for an hour anyway, so I'll see what they get up to next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Evans is a bit loud, and for the most experienced presenter of the two he seemed the weakest.
    They really need a third presenter too as Evans is 80% of the show.
    Overall not so bad, a mediocre start that can only get better from here

Okay just watched it

I'm shocked that they have changed almost nothing in the basic formula as it means they've been terribly lazy and will get pelters for it.

That said I do like Matt Le Blanc (who before Episodes I had never watched in anything) and it grew on me somewhat but they really should have ditched the studio segments as that doesn't really work ar all though to be fair, it took Clarkson and Co about 4 years before they really found their groove and started to hone it fully.

PS Deep Purple's accountant should be quite happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

That said I do like Matt Le Blanc (who before Episodes I had never watched in anything) and it grew on me somewhat but they really should have ditched the studio segments as that doesn't really work ar all though to be fair, it took Clarkson and Co about 4 years before they really found their groove and started to hone it fully.

PS Deep Purple's accountant should be quite happy.

How can someone have never seen Friends?! :eek:

By being very quick with the remote! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

to be fair its the first one, so from that point of view it was a fair punt at it.

Sadly as a proper car nut, a lot of it is just nonsense - so no change there !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

In my opinion, that was just plain dreadful. As soon as I saw the chase between Chris and Sabine, I knew it was pure muck.

Can't say I'll be watching it next week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

All a bit underwhelming alright.

Can understand not changing the format too much - they got a decent balance between making a few changes to set themselves out as a new team, while keeping the familiar air of the show. I liked the new lap layout (though it didn't feel the same of course - I know it was the point, but it's still worth saying)

I didn't really like the big intro for the guests. I guess "Old Top Gear" had a very down-to-earth feel to it; cheap yet cheerful, in keeping with the three northeners hosting it. Evans is more in your face, which I don't like. A grand exit for the guests just seems more over the top, more Evansy. Ditto the big wall screen. Ditto the cued cheers from the crowd (was it me, or did a lot of them look not that interested/impressed?). But let's see if that can grow. I suspect not, but let's see.

On Evans - he was quite annoying alright. Even during the laps, he was trying to get cheers and applause out of the crowd at every time. OTG was a bit more subtle. But then pretty much anything is more subtle than Chris Evans.

Matt LeBlanc was just dull. He livened up a bit for the Nomad piece - but surprisingly, it was his voiceovers that were worst. It sounded like he didn't really know how it was going to end up post-edit.

And I guess that was the problem for the hosts - which is understandable. It was their first time. It took OTG a couple of series to get into its groove, and it'll be the same here.

But while OTG had to invent a whole new format, NTG just copied it. And so on that basis, the Blackpool bit was just pointless. Two Reliant Robins (or the successor - can't remember the name now) with the rooves cut off for no particular reason. Then they get ditched, and we get two old jeeps, which just do a bit of a drag race before leaving Blackpool entirely and climbing a mountain in the Lake District. Let's ignore that OTG already did that (and Clarkson got a bit of grief for it) - there was no real thread to the film at all. And that's a bit disappointing given they weren't trying to invent something new.

And the other two films - while both were ok enough in concept - were very similar, which seemed a bit silly.

The main thing though is that there's no rapport between LeBlanc and Evans, which just highlighted how important a part of OTG the Clarkson/May/Hammond link was. Again, that may grow in time - but it left a huge hole in tonight's show.

Laughs? Just the one I think - Evans giving the second lap time as "One minute....just kidding! Two minutes ten"

So - yeah. Bit meh really. I'll probably watch on for a few more episodes to see if it goes anywhere, but I woudn't be recording it if I was out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement