Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortage of BnM Briquettes ?

Options
  • 13-01-2021 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Is there a shortage of them in NCD?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm sure Aldi in Rivervalley had loads last week, down opposite the baby food section. I'd say a lot of places just sold out during the frosty weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

"Bord na Móna has confirmed that it has stopped peat harvesting for good, with the peat briquette to disappear from stores as soon as stock runs out.

The company took the decision as part of its Brown to Green strategy, which will end fossil fuel use and focus on renewable energy."

https://www.newstalk.com/news/the-end-of-the-peat-briquette-marks-a-very-sad-and-dark-day-michael-healy-rae-1135320?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1u9bLKL0N2J_wmlaGNI9iQZYGEZqOWUh7cA0GJW2gbtNV6Wb5ASKlV08s#Echobox=1610702811

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

"Bord na Móna has confirmed that it has stopped peat harvesting for good, with the peat briquette to disappear from stores as soon as stock runs out.

The company took the decision as part of its Brown to Green strategy, which will end fossil fuel use and focus on renewable energy."

https://www.newstalk.com/news/the-end-of-the-peat-briquette-marks-a-very-sad-and-dark-day-michael-healy-rae-1135320?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1u9bLKL0N2J_wmlaGNI9iQZYGEZqOWUh7cA0GJW2gbtNV6Wb5ASKlV08s#Echobox=1610702811

LIDL had the briquettes four for €18 last week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The stock to run out is about four years worth of harvested peat; it'll be a while. I'd imagine the rush of people thinking they're going out of stock imminently has denuded supplies of finished briquettes but they'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

L1011 wrote: »
    .... but they'll be back.
    How will they be back? BnaM announced that they will no longer be supplying them.

(Unless they're being imported from another supplier?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

How will they be back? BnaM announced that they will no longer be supplying them.

Cause they have 4 years worth stockpiled as per the answer above and their own press release

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Aldi and Lidl briquettes are imported, not made by BnM.
    They also have lignite briquettes which some people think are the same thing but are not.

I have never understood why anyone would use peat briquettes, one of the most expensive fuels you can buy and also leaves massive amounts of ash.
    Second in cost to bags of wet wood idiots purchase at petrol stations. Insanity.

Good quality dried timber is a growing market with a lot of new suppliers started doing it right this winter. Would suggest people check out the WQFA website for a local suppler, you will never look back for quality and value.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BnM have said they'll stop supplying them in 2025. The current shortage is just panic buying. They have stopped harvesting peat but have years worth at the briquette plant storage.
    Forge83 wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl briquettes are imported, not made by BnM.

Both Aldi and Lidl sell BnM briquettes occasionally; not as fixed items but often covering much of the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Forge83 wrote: »
    ....I have never understood why anyone would use peat briquettes, one of the most expensive fuels you can buy and also leaves massive amounts of ash....
    I have never understood why anyone (who has central heating) would want the hassle of a fire when you can get heat at the flick of a switch. I've never set or lit a fire yet in my life and I've no intention of ever doing so.

Advertisement