Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jobseekers means test

• 18-01-2021 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi, my friend has been on jobseekers for a while. He was actively searching when Covid hits, and genuinely can't find work. He lives with his partner as he has literally nowhere else to go with no family to speak of. So, somehow, someone at the social gets wind that they are cohabiting and his jobseekers allowance is removed. He is freaking out. Partner earnsa wage but not a massive one. I cant find any information on specific earning caps for means testing of a couple. Only that it is means tested. It seems insane to me that they can penalise someone for cohabiting while not giving tax breaks that are given to married couples etc. I dont know. I just wish I cpuld help and all the info I can find is so confusing. Definitely don't have a head for numbers or tax stuff myself. Any help or insight would be amazing. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Try this

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ladystardust

Try this

Thank you very much. Brings me to page with alnost nothing but maths. Guess its more complicated than just a cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Here's a rough guide to the JA means test when a partner is working.
    Step 1. Total JA payable to a couple. €203 (personal rate) + €133.70 (Increase for a Qualified Adult) = €336.70 (1)
    Step 2. Subtract €20 per day worked up to a maximum of €60 from employment (2) .
    Step 3 Get 60% of partner's income after subtraction is done less PRSI, superannuation, union dues. Income tax and USC are not disregarded. This gives the assessable means from employment.(3)
    Step 4. Subtract (3) from (1) to get the amount of JA (if any) due.
    Example - partner earns €350 and works 5 days. No PRSI, etc. due
    350-60 = 290. 60% of 290 is 174. 174 are assessable means.
    336.70 - 174 = €162.70 JA due
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ladystardust

Big help! Thanks so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Big help! Thanks so much.

I got the steps mixed up. I'll edit the post

• Advertisement
Advertisement