Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I, Claudius (1976)

Options
  • 31-05-2020 9:43am

Have many people seen this show? I gave an episode a look yesterday and binged the first six. Seven left. It's been voted the 12th best British show ever.

It's very KL sort of stuff and is remarkably heavy sometimes considering when it was made. It is often compared to Game of Thrones and I only read that after when I thought the same myself.

The battles for power and the intrigue. A great cast as well with Livia being a stand out. Cersei on steroids. Historically accurate in the broad sense of the emperors and those around them.

The style is obviously very different but I think it works. It's a stage play for the TV and is low budget but the writing and characters make it. Highly recommend it so far for anyone who thoroughly enjoyed KL and the game of thrones. Looking forward to finishing it off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I remember watching that as a teenager - I think it was written by Robert Graves? John Hurt was in it and Brian Blessed I think and Sian Phillips also. She was Livia I think. There was another well know guy who played Germanicus(?) but he was dispatched fairly quickly!
    I'd love to see it again- where is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Patrick Stewart is in it as well.

I don't think modern audiences would put up with a completely studio based drama, with zero special effects.

That being said it is a fantastic series which actually is based on historical fact, although it does use artistic license to the utmost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes I think this is an amazing series. I never read the books but I've been meaning to. Such great acting, especially Brian Blessed and John Hurt.

I really like early Patrick Stewart in this and 'Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy'.

Advertisement